Not feeling like myself following hysterectomy

Posted , 14 users are following.

I had a hysterectomy on March 23, 2018. I had my uterus, cervix and Fallopian tubes removed.  I thought I was fortunate to keep my ovaries as my Gynecologist assured me that would keep my hormones intact.  Not mentioning the pain, discomfort and constipation due to surgery, I have since been waking up in the middle of the night with hot flashes.  I also don’t feel like myself. I feel numb and detached. Is this what my life will be like in the future?  I really didn’t expect to feel this way. I am regretting my decision to have the surgery. 

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was the same way, I’m now 4 wks post op, having navel pain, I had to lay down and pamper myself. Please take time to relax and recuperate. Stay strong 
    • Posted

You too Liz?

Oy!

I believe that you’re correct. We’re all in the same mode. I’m spouting responses within our discussion and I’m feeling like crap. I have replied in my deal to follow up with our ladies after my appointment with my physician. 

I’m still watching out for replies, responses and sharing. 

I though that I was a tough cookie!!!

• Posted

I’m now 11 days post op, I’m 47 and have had my ovaries removed with everything else.  I haven’t been given any further appointment from the hospital or any aftercare information, so the only information I’m getting is on here and google.  I thought I was doing really well but I don’t seem to be improving at all, and I’ve started being incontinent the last few days, only a bit but enough to be embarrassing.  I still am on pain killers pretty much every 4 hours and so so tired all the time not wanting to do anything.  I also haven’t been told anything about HRT, and google is a bit vague, do you have to have it as apart from the hot flushes nothing has changed menopausal wise from pre op.  Thank you for this forum it has been such a help and comfort to me. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Sarah.

I’m so sorry for what your experiencing. 

From what I gather, you’re not receiving any support from your healthcare providers. 

I strongly urge you to reach out to the hospital where you underwent your surgery. I’m also getting a sense that you may not have a private gynecologist. Please correct me if I’m wrong. 

I’m very concerned. 

Please reach out to a healthcare provider and stay in touch. 😘

• Posted

No I haven’t had any follow up with the hospital, I was just sent home 2 days later. I was thinking to make an appointment with my GP in a week or so.

My surgery was done on the NHS, it was cancelled twice before I eventually went in due to no beds being available.  My scar looks fine and the bruising is going. I really need to stop this leaking though I’m having to get Tena ladies.

Thank you for replying it is comforting to have support out there.

Sarah

xx

• Posted

Hi Sarah.

I apologize for the delay. 

Certainly make an appointment with your GP as you’re considering. I am so sorry that you were sent home with no instructions, emergency contact information for you to reach out to, at least a follow up call from a nurse after your release.  During your visit with your GP, you may consider asking for a referral for a gynecologist. Again, these are only suggestions. 

Please stay in touch.

Hugs 

• Posted

Thank you so much, and the HRT is another this I need to discuss. Will let you know.

Xxx

• Posted

Your way to early to see a lot of change love. Wait till 6 wks then contact your consultant for some answers. I'm 1 1 wks tvh and anterior repair and will get a Check up on Monday as I want him to examine me to make sure all is well now stitched have gone. I had a 6 wks check also but do feel slow running in front vagina.don't worry unnecessary get checked out love.xxx

• Posted

I had my hysterectomy laproscopically on the 1st of December in 2017. My ovaries were left behind. Mine was a fantasic experience and wished I had done it earlier. I was lucky that after a week I was able to work from home (laptop - lying down on the couch or sitting at the table). I only did part time and when I felt like it. I had a really supportive work as well and worked was able to work from home until 8 weeks after my op. I was also lucky that my mother inlaw stayed with us for the first 3 weeks and she was magnificent in supporting me, and she loves to cook and clean. This also allowed my hubby to go back to work and know I would be taken care of. Two days after the op I went for a 5 min walk to the bus stop with my daughter before school and I had exhausted myself. The next day I was still a bit exhausted so I took it easy. I did have another day where I went for a walk with my family around markets and exhausted myself again and next day I had to take it easy. My body was telling me that I was still not quite ready to do some of those things. For me there was no pain from 2 days after the op. I didn't need to take any medication. The only time I felt anything was when needing to do no. 2's but that eventually just disappeared. Definitely after the 6 weeks I have felt amazing, and I know it has changed me because I have a high sex drive than I ever had!! On that, I haven't felt any discomfort. At 11 weeks I did trials for netball (worked with the physio prior), I wasn't sure how I would go but it surprised me that I was ok!! But I do think that everyone's body is different and I am quite surprised how mine went because I am overweight and a large build. All I can say is it can take its time for your body to heal (and that'swhat everyone else would tell me as well) as you've had major surgery, but keep discussing this with your doctor so they know how you are feeling and they can monitor you as well. xx Dee

• Posted

Hello Everyone.  As an update I saw my Gynecologist on Monday, April 9th. She showed pictures of my procedure which included pictures of my fibroid tumors, Fallopian tubes that were inflamed and my ovaries. According to her my ovaries looked great and I kept both of them. She also shared my pathology report with me. Everything, was good and as expected - with one exception. The report indicated that I had adenomyosis. She stated that this is another confirmation that the hysterectomy was the right choice. She said it’s hard to predict this until examination of the uterus and cervix. Adenomyosis is a hardening if the wall which leads to severe pelvic pain. Also, her interpretation is that all women heal differently following a hysterectomy. She explained that while I did keep both ovaries a blood vessel suppling 20% of blood to the ovaries is cut during a hysterectomy. Some patients don’t feel any different in terms or hormones. However, for some like me, the body notices that change and that’s why I am experiencing some night sweats and a mild emotional changes. She offered to put me on HRT, but her recommendation would be to wait and see if the body will adjust and find a way to supplement that lost 20%.  I decided to go with that approach. It makes sense and the body is an amazing thing. In the interim she did state that I could take over the counter meds. However, I have just decided to wait at least 8 weeks to see how my body naturally adjusts. 

As far as work, it has been 3 weeks and I am going to attempt to return to work tomorrow. I have a sit down job but it is very stressful. My goal is to work from the office Monday, Wednesday and Friday and telecommunicate on Tuesday and Tuesday. We will see how it goes. If not then I may transition to part time telecommuting. 

I will keep you updated 

• Posted

Good morning Pamela.

Thank you for sharing your follow up.

Your doctor is very thorough with this additional information. You’re able to articulate and share with us another source of pelvic pain that I hadn’t been aware of. Yes. I have been experiencing a lot of pelvic pain that my doctor had stated that it’s probably die to my overdoing. I cannot argue with him because of my doing exactly what he anticipates the pain’s origin. I await my 3rd. follow up on the 8th. of May. I am pulling for you as you return to work. Your doctor would not have agreed if you weren’t strong enough. I am sure that you followed instructions to the ‘T’ in being able to return to work. This is wonderful news and please keep us posted. 🤗🤗💕💕

• Posted

Very good information Thank you. Stay strong keep us posted 
  • Posted

As an update - I went back to work this week. I worked in the office on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I telecommuted Tuesday and Thursday.  I am not sure I would recommend returning to work after 3 weeks - even for an office job. First of all my stomach swelling is intense and I still look pregnant. Secondly, sitting ( even with getting up and down often) for 8 hours was tough on my stomach incisions. I am still hurting in my pelvic area. By Friday evening, I feel worse (at 4 weeks PostOp) than the beginning of the week. I still have the brain fog going on too.  I think OB/GYN should really educate patients prior to surgery regarding the recovery period - instead some patients return to work after two weeks. I felt compelled to return to work early (my FMLA paperwork did say 6 weeks) because I had told my Manager that I should be back 2 weeks no more than 3 weeks. Interested to know if others are still experiencing the stomach swelling, pain in pelvic area, and brain fog at 4 weeks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.