Not fun

Posted , 7 users are following.

I hope I am doing this right.

I was diagnosed with Achalasia about 2 and a half years ago through Barium Swallow and have had a few dilations of my eosphagus. it helps for a wee little bit but this last one I had really didn't do much. I am wanting to get a referral from my doctor down here ( Niagara Falls ) to Dr. Shlomovitz in Toronto. I was wondering if all the people who have gotten the POEM surgery had to have the manometry test done? this test freaks me out, I have not had it. If anyone could tell me that it will be okay. I am more freaked out about having to possibly get that test done than the actual POEM surgery. Thanks anyone......................

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Paula76148, 

I had the manometry test done. Yes it's not pleasant, but necessary. I had the Heller Myotomy done in 2012. It made a word of difference!! Do what you need to have done so you will feel better!  

• Posted

Thanks sarahab05, I figured that test was probably inevitable : (  I am so happy for you that your HM worked. Where did you get it done? I am leaning towards the new POEM procdure but have to get referral first to doc in TO.
    • Posted

Hi Paula, 

I live in Clovis, California which is basically halfway between Los Angles and San Francisco.  My surgeon, Dr Higa was excellent. I have just recently been hearing about the POEM procedure. Just do ur research, second opinions, etc... there is no turning back! Let us know how it goes! 

• Posted

The manometry is uncomfortable, but necessary. It's not unbearable by any means though. I've had 2 of them and also had the HM in 2012. It's one of the tests that can help the drs determine what's right for you. Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Paula, 

Personally I find the manometry a breeze compared to the endoscopy...Once it is through the nose there is very little sensation in the throat... It tickles on the way out! 

N. 

• Posted

Thanks neil32387. You must have had the endoscopys while you were awake. : ( I've had half a dozen but all while I was under.Had no problems.

• Posted

Don’t freak out.  It is a bit uncomfortable and probably give you something to relax you. Believe is necessary for a firm diagnosis.  Hope you don’t have to wait too long for referral.  Might there be a good Gasteroencologist in Hamilton, eg McMaster?  Hate that long trip down the QEW to Toronto!  Take care.
    • Posted

Thanks Breagh. I know I hate having to go to TO too but need to have something done about this. It is so annoying and wrecks your normal life! I've been to Hamilton, was not impressed, once I read about Dr. Shlomovitz, I am convince he's the man to make my life somewhat normal again!

• Posted

i had the manometry test done first followed by the barium swallow. Both tests confirmed I have a serious esophageal motility disorder. I have been waiting 3 months to get my follow-up appointment.  I don't actually have a confirmed diagnoses. I can barely keep any food or liquid down and couldn't pass the pill on the Barium Swallow. 

The 24 hr. manometry test is very uncomfortable, but tolerable. You must eat and drink for it to record effectively. The doctor who did mine was the inventor of the test. He is quite old now and only works a few days a week. I had to drive 3 hrs to see him. Another GI did the Barium Swallow in my local town. 

The amount of data received from this one test was astounding. I'm not sure why I even needed to follow-up with a Barium Swallow after that considering the results. 

I would highly suggest the manometry test. It will pin-point the exact areas and pressures. 

Good luck!

• Posted

I have had the Manometry test done twice; the most recent a couple of months ago. While a little uncomfortable, it does not hurt.  It is necessary for a 100% diagnosis.  Go in with the attitude that you want to get the test 'done.'  Relax, and just concentrate on following  the swallowing instructions.  To be quite honest, if they said I needed a third one, I would have it done.  It well and truly, is not that bad a test.

• Posted

Thanks donna. That is a good way of looking at it!

Did you get the POEM surgery done as well?

• Posted

I had the Heller Myotomy and Fundoplication done in Nov. 2016.  Have had 2 balloon dilations done since then. I'm not so sure that a person can have both surgeries - HM & POEM.  The first manometry test gave me a 100% diagnosis of Achalasia.  The surgeon requested the second test to be done, so that he could check different angles that an endoscopy would not show.  Don't 'fear' this test.  It can be uncomfortable, but not overly.  Again, if you simply concentrate on the technician's instructions, with the 'swallows,' and have it in your mind that you want to get this test done, and over with, you will be fine.  At the hospital in my city, where the test is done [and this is the only place in my Province that does this test], they put on meditative background music, which actually helps.  I am Type 1, which means my esophagus is paralyzed, dead, done, finished.  The LES muscle is very tight, and so I have very poor clearance from the esophagus into the stomach.  I will be learning this week what direction for me is next.  I am sure that Alan from OPA will be able to tell you definitively, whether or not a person can have HM & POEM surgeries.

• Posted

I, too, had asked that question: if a person could have both the HM and POEM. I had the HM in 2012 and have had several endoscopies with dialation and nothing really helps. I am thankful that I can at least eat....many can't. I don't think a person can have the POEM after having the HM though. Maybe Botox???

• Posted

Yes I have read on a couple of websites that a person can have both done the HM and the POEM done. I watched a doc on you tube go through all of it. can't remember what to look under though sorry: (

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.