Not fun

Posted , 7 users are following.

I hope I am doing this right.

I was diagnosed with Achalasia about 2 and a half years ago through Barium Swallow and have had a few dilations of my eosphagus. it helps for a wee little bit but this last one I had really didn't do much. I am wanting to get a referral from my doctor down here ( Niagara Falls ) to Dr. Shlomovitz in Toronto. I was wondering if all the people who have gotten the POEM surgery had to have the manometry test done? this test freaks me out, I have not had it. If anyone could tell me that it will be okay. I am more freaked out about having to possibly get that test done than the actual POEM surgery. Thanks anyone......................

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I tried the manometry test a year ago, and both times pulled the tube out. That test hit just about every phobia I have. BUT, I recently got a pushy doctor who had his nurse hound me until I made an appointment at the hospital to have the test. The test was yesterday so this is still fresh in my mind, and I haven’t made it any better or worse than it actually was for me. Before I went to have the test, I called the technician to talk about what had happened before. She promised me she would take her time and wouldn’t push. That helped. I did make it through the test without pulling the tube out. I think the main difference was they used a gel to numb my nose and throat rather than a spray. The spray did not numb it as much. Not a pleasant test by any means, but it can be done, even with phobias.
    • Posted

Congratulations!  You conquered a fear.  This is the test that will give you a definitive diagnosis.  The spray-stuff tastes ghastly, I know, but that does not last long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.