Not just IBS pain..

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just over 4 years ago I was diagnosed with IBS. This has been an ongoing problem ever since. However, for the past 2 months, i have been in agony with stomach pains, it doesn't feel like just IBS. 

I've had blood tests, stool tests and just two days ago, both a gastroscopy and colonoscopy. Everything has come back clear.

I'm really starting to lose it, I just want to be out of this pain. As well as the pain, I've lost half a stone in weight, lost my appetite, constant nausea, cramps, sharp pains, kidney pain and reoccuring water infections. I'm also diabetic and anaemic. 

I have an MRI booked for 29th September, but I'm scared they're going to tell me it's just my IBS. I'm sure I know my body and I know it's not - I don't have to eat anything for the pain to get worse. It's ruining my life. I'm meant to be flying out to Canada in 2 mnoths and worrying that I won't be well enough. 

Any words of wisdom/ideas of what it could be?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've finally had my results back. It turns out that I have a cyst in my left kidney, which would make sense, seeing as most of my pain is on that side. Going to the doctors next week to see if I can have it removed. 

I have an appointment with the gastro but that's not until January sad I've lost so much weight these past few months, I now weigh 6st4 (down from 7st4), I hate it. 

• Posted

Hi,

It's good that you've had your results back and that you know what it is at least, even if it is a cyst. Hopefully they will be able to remove it. Do they know how big it is, or where it is (how complication wise etc)? 

What's causing you to lose weight? Why are you not eating! Have you changed your diet? What is it?

Also, are you a man or a woman?

• Posted

I'm female, 27y/o smile They say it's only small, but it's big enough to be causing me pain. 

I've not been eating properly because anything I eat makes me feel worse than I already am. I am trying to eat, and I've been drinking those complan milkshakes which are meant to help. Been referred to a dietician but not eard anything. I looked in the mirror this morning and could see my ribs. Yuk. 

• Posted

Ok. Don't really know what to suggest. I went through a bad stage at the beginning of the year. Pretty much stopped eating from January/February to June/July. I got really ill and ended up in hospital again, but this time not because of the extreme stomach pain. I passed out on the bus to college through dehydration and exhaustion. Lack of energy basically. It feels horrible. I've always been a big boned girl and weighed more than everyone else in my year. So when I went from 95kg to 60kg in this time, it's not surprising people were very concerned. I stopped eating because it bloody hurt to eat. It was excruciating. More so than normal. Ended up in hospital again  because  my stomach just wasn't functioning properly. I've always liked my food but in the last year, I've become such a fussy eater. Mostly because I can look at one meal or a bit of food and know EXACTLY how my stomach will feel if I eat it. I know what will happen. Sometimes I can look at something and know it will hurt but I will be fine. The beginning of the year, everything I looked at felt as if it would be my last meal as the pain was going to be excruciating. I finally realised that it was my mind getting into the losing weight thing. But I was already quite skinny- and I've NEVER been skinny in my life. I finally started eating. Just very small bits. A tiny bit of porridge a day. I told myself that I would have it at exactly the same time every day. 1 o'clock. That way, I told my self that if I didn't eat then, I would feel guilty, and the guilt would feel worse than the stomach ache. It was mind tricks and gentle mind control. But it worked. I'm now up to 67kg. Yes I feel ploddy, but I'm no longer being told left right and centre that I need to eat or that I look ill or whatever. My point is, I know it hurts to eat, but you've got to tell yourself that if you don't eat, you are just going to become more ill. The more ill you get, the worse you a re going too feel and the deeper hole you are going to find yourself in. And it will happen scarily fast. I've been there before and it takes a long time to get out of a deep hole. Keep drinking. Just make sure that EVERYTHING you eat and drink is worthwhile. Not only because of the pain (if you eat something rubbish, you will have to counteract that with something healthy and that's added unnecessary pain) but because it will be easier for your body to cope. Have a mixed diet. but eat what you can. At this point, as long as you are eating something, it doesn't matter what it is. But the more you are able to eat, you must make sure you incorporate healthy foods in it. 

I went end to the dietician and I personally didn't feel it was that beneficial as I told her what my problems were and that I don't (didn't at the time) eat gluten. Her advice: don't eat gluten.

I'd been gluten free for 3 years. And it hadn't helped. 

That at was just my experience though. Hopefully yours will be better and I hope it is! 

One thing ink I can recommend is throwing away your scales. If they are there, you will only use them. I know I doesn't seem like it now and you think it won't happen but it will- you will end up looking at your scales almost as an obsession and the more you see the number go down, the more you'll want it to go down. It's a fault of the mind. Get rid of the scales. Don't just put them away. Out them in a bowl of water and destroy them. Or take them to a tip, sell them, whatever you do, just make sure you can't get them. You can buy another set at a much later date. 

Also, don't look in mirrors a lot. Don't get dressed in front of one. Don't look at one when you are in the bathroom having a shower. Only use a mirror to look at your face. Nothing else. Same principle as the scales. If you can see one rib today you will end up trying to see what it's like to be able to see 2 and then 3. 

Im sorry I've waffled on quite a bit...

Nutty

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.