Can’t sleep more then 4 hours a night

I’ve tried all over the count sleep aids 

Does anyone recommend something I should ask my doctor for

Thanks

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tony

i wish I had an answer for this. I am closing in on 11 weeks and although I am more comfortable at night I too still have a hard time at night. It gets better so hang in there and remember like so many people have said this is marathon and rest whenever you can to make up for loss at night. 

Wishing you all all the best 

• Posted

Hi Tony,

You don't say whether it's pain keeping you awake or that you just can't sleep.

?I haven't had my op yet so can't advise you on pain remedies but I have trouble sleeping myself and have found that taking Montmorency cherries - either as a capsule or in a tea - definitely helps.  They contain melatonin which the body makes naturally at night to relax it for sleep.

• Posted

Hi Tony

It maybe worth asking you Doctor for something to help you sleep.

It is horrible not sleeping.

I hope you get something to help you

Best wishes

• Posted

Yes,Tony,I did experience that too at 5 weeks and unfortunately it is not perfect now. Still sleepless nights... 

If you are already able to walk,try to do so during the day ,try to get yourself”” tired”” ,and for me,Norco was the best medicine to sleep at night,always took it around 1 or 2 in AM and somehow I did sleep longer .

Also my doctor did give me a very low doze of clonapin (0.125) and that also looks like it helps.... TKR is a serious surgery ( mine is a double one😰😰😰😰wink and I can say that you as a patient are the one to set the tables in such a way to make yourself comfortable. The best of luck!

• Posted

The doctor had me take two Tylenol with a benedryl and that seems to knock me out for the night, don't want to use it every nignt, I found that u had to just sleep when I could. Best wishes

• Posted

Save money.  Benadryl is the expensive brand name for generic diphenhydramine, a cheap antihistamine. Tylenol PM (all the "PM" products) contain diphenhydramine...makes you drowsy.  Plain diphenhydramine is pennies...

• Posted

Hi Tony

This is a problem we all suffer i managed without sleep aids during the day if you nod off well let it happen the nights are alway the worst but it does get better its a long process as for the scar seeming to catch on everything o found a loose tubigrip really helped for some stupid reason i still use it at night 13 months down the line bit like a comfort blanket i suppose but once again keep persevering it does get easier

Good luck .

• Posted

A couple of glasses of wine or your preferred makes all the difference 😀

• Posted

Sounds so familiar this,I was getting even less sleep than you tony,I used to dread going to bed it was awful and you felt run down all day too,I tried over the counter sleeping pills,no good at all so in the end I bit the bullet and went to my GP,best move I made got a prescription of him used them every other night for a couple of weeks to get me over a difficult period of insomnia.(not due to pain just discomfort and not being able to settle all night) i got mine from around week 6 to 8 but should of got them earlier looking back on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.