Not sure if I can continue

Posted , 14 users are following.

My husbands drinking heavily started abou 9 years ago. All his drinking is at home. Weekends always starts at about 7am with 5 bottles of lager by 10 am. As our child was young over the years our weekends have for me been awful. It used to be cans of lager. About 4 years ago I found 60 cans that had been drunk in a week. Since then I have asked him to get help, which he won't do, told him he needs to leave but it never happens because during the week he is the lovely man I married. He now always has at least one bottle of lager every day before work at 6am and possibly can as well. Most evenings I don't think he drinks? I am normally an expert! But I did find bottles of water with vodka in them. He has started to not go to work on a Monday and I feel I have to tell him to leave but that is hard. Does he drink a lot? I have lost sight of what is normal! If anyone can help or advise I would be grateful.

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

A lot of what you have said about your husband includes things that i have done myself. Hid drink, even in water bottles and in any single less obvious place i could think of. I even forgot myself at times. He does have a problem, but unless he is at the point where he sees this at least to some degree it wont change. It is not your fault and not his either to be honest, he is genuinely in a bad place at the moment but prob frightened and doesnt want to admit it to himself and you because he is scared of change and to be honest not drinking again. He most likely has a lot of reasons he has become this way. I would suggest that you maybe try to give him a wake up call so to speak and stay with friends for a few days... tell him that you do love him as you clearly do but that you are worried, tired and need things to change. Like i say he doesnt im sure want to be like this either and deep inside knows that things are not right. Maybe a break will do you some good and also make him see that although things dont happen over night that things have to get better from everyones point of view. I will say that speaking as the person who drank that the more and more you talk/shout/blame about it the more in a way it will make that person want to do it more. I am sure he would not want to be without you so maybe it will kind of help him in a cruel to be kind sort of way. As he will see what it is actually like being on his own, my partner went to scotland for a week with our daughter and i can tell you it really let me have a lot of time to think about what it would be like if the entire family fell apart all because of my drinking. Be prepared that he may also drink through this time but he will miss you im sure and see that you really will not put up with this life. He shouldnt put up with his life being this way either... i am sure he does not want to have that guilty feeling all the time about drinking and hiding drink. He is prob beating himself up a lot more than what you think. You see people with alcohol problems come across as so selfish at times. But inside we are usually torn apart for different reasons. Have you suggested that he comes to have a look at this site with you? I would imagine this would help a lot if he agrees to do this even for an hour. I would be amazed if he didnt come away and see a few things differently. Keep in touch and all the best. My thoughts are with you.
    • Posted

Well said Sharon that is exactly what Helen needs to do, if he isn't willing even to discuss what is happening. He cannot ignore the effect his drinking is having on his family and himself forever. In the end, his body won't let him anyway x

• Posted

Brilliant post Sharon and very true and honest. I was the drinker in my family. The guilt alone made me feel dreadful , when I chose to admit. I've lost count of the number of times my husband took our ithree kids somewhere, probably to get away from my drunken antics and behaviour.

My husband tried different approaches when he realised I'd been drinking.

Shouting certainly didn't help, kindness I threw back in his face.

Sometimes you just have to walk away. I know I couldn't go all through that again, just for a drink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.