Not sure if my therapist is right for me (advice, anyone?)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone, I’m fairly new to these types of forums. Let me give you a little background information before I begin with my main question. I’m a 23 year old female who has been suffering from panic attacks and really bad anxiety. I started having panic attacks about 5 months ago. The first months probably consisted of at least one panic attack every week, but haven’t had one in about 4 months. However, I live with the constant fear of having another one. My anxiety level is slowly (very slowly) going back down to baseline, but still isn’t near my anxiety level pre-panic attack. As a consequence, I stopped driving, had to quit my new job, cannot be left alone, rarely go out, unless it’s in the company of my ‘safety person’ aka my boyfriend, and I pretty much avoid going anywhere that’s not within the 5 mile radius from my home. I also find it important to mention I've dealt with depression on and off for about 7 years now.

I know I need help, which is why I sought therapy, BUT I feel that my therapist might not be right for me. I’ve read numerous articles, research papers, and books that mention CBT as being really successful in treating anxiety and panic disorder, even though I do not meet the criteria for PD. In addition to that are therapies like interoceptive exposure.

The thing is…she isn’t doing any of that. All she says is that it is in the mind and that the first step is thinking positive. I GET THAT. But HOW do I start thinking positive? I mean, if I knew how I would’ve tried long ago. I need some kind of structure so that I can track my progress. I need a consistent plan. For example, “everytime you have a negative thought, stop yourself and replace it with a positive one” OR “whenever you are feeling anxious, stop where you are and deep breath for five minutes”. She gives me strategies, but never a schedule I can follow. And the most upsetting part is that when I asked about CBT workbooks, SHE SAID THERE WERE NONE. That is not true, but I thought it would be good to mention it. She didn’t even consider CBT at all. I trust her enough to follow her treatment plan, but after 4 months in therapy I feel it is going no where.

I just feel so hopeless because I feel like I have to make my own treatment plan. Hell, I barely have the motivation to get out of bed sometimes.

Should I look for a therapist elsewhere?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Is therapy free where you are?

Is it easy to switch?

Have you told yout therapist that you dont like the methods being used?

• Posted

My family and I are low income so I get free, basic medical coverage, which includes mental health services such as therapy and medication. At least that's how it is here in the states. Can't say about elsewhere. 

I don't know how easy it is to switch, but I definitely can. My therapist warned me that since she had a large case load, I would only be able to see her every three weeks--at the very best. She also mentioned that if this was an issue I could always get services elsewhere so that I could get therapy more frequently. 

I haven't mentioned anything in particular yet because I know she's the expert you know? I did mentioned that I wanted a bit more structure (i.e. use of worksheets to track thoughts)--and she corrected me by saying "I think you mean you're more of a visual learner". I'm pretty sure I meant exactly what I said, but I realized she was going to interpret things her way so it just wasn't worth arguing.

• Posted

Fair enough.

Are you in school or do you have a job?

• Posted

Had a part time job, now I just go to school full time
    • Posted

A lot of schools offer free mental health services.

Have you checked if yours does?

• Posted

They do offer free services, actually! I was going to get my first ever therapy session from my university's health center, but I backed out last minute. This was a few months before my panic attacks started. Eventually my physician referred me to the place I am now and scolded me for waiting for so long haha. I'm going to make another appointment soon, that way I can at least get therapy twice a month. 
    • Posted

Definitely do it soon!

They make had a crisis protocol so you might be able to get it faster.

Can you keep us posted?

• Posted

I've been doing good. Practicing some CBT on my own. I have a psychiatry appointment in early June to discuss antidepressants. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for your concern smile
    • Posted

good to hear!

how are you practicing CBT on your own?

• Posted

I feel like I'm reading something I wrote myself, wow. Everything you're experiencing I experienced. I have very positive news for you- it gets better. My CBT suggested I go on Zoloft to grasp ahold of the "positive thinking" bc I was having a hard time doing it. Best decision. That was 2 years ago. I went to PA, upstate New York (2 hour drives from home) Although I came off the Zoloft about a month ago and it was a downward spiral. Went into withdrawal, now I'm back on and I'm back at square one. I'm having a hard time leaving my house again. But I've done it in the past and I know I can do it in the future.
    • Posted

I know you can too. My son is doing well now that hes on prozac,he was so depressed.
    • Posted

Wow, I'm so sorry you have to go through this again. It is pure hell in the very begining and I know how damn frustrating it can be to make so much progress only be back to square one, again. You are brave! I've thrown in the towel so many times only to realize that life goes on--whether I sulk or be happy. So I've become more accepting of it. 

My doctor and therapist have been pushing medication for a while now, but honestly I'm scared. I don't want to feel how I felt that first week after my first panic attack, which lasted nearly two hours mind you. It has been the worst time in my life so far. My body went completely out of whack for an entire week. Chest was sore, resting heart rate above 100, even feeling "full" would make me panic, constant diziness, palpitations, cold skin one minute and then completely hot the next, derealization, I mean you NAME IT! I do not want to feel that again and I know medication can increase anxiety for the first few weeks. 

I also fear the downward spiral after getting off of it. I a teeny tiny bit of hope that I can slowly recover without it, but I loose more and more hope everyday to be honest. I feel like I'm going to live with this for the rest of my life--and that depresses me even more. But I've told my family that if progress isn't good by the end of this year--I'm going on medication. I can't live like this forever. 

I bet you must be having a rough time, but like you said--if you did it once, you can do it again. I believe that anyone who has expriences anxiety and panic is a strong person. I cannot tell you how many times I've thought (not considered) about suicide and continue to wake up to a new day every day. With fear, but I still do it. 

Thank you for replying. It's great to know that there are others like me who are still here to talk about their victories. Keep fighting!

• Posted

I was scared about meds at first too. But it was the best decision honestly. the anxiety deff increased the first 2 weeks but I was given Xanax to cope. And guess what. I didn't even need to use them. I just pep talk myself. Tell myself everything is going to be okay. and if it's not. then there's Xanax lol. I'm a day away from week 3 and I have to say I almost feel back to normal. I'm still very tired but then again it's the week before my period so I always find myself very tired this week.

The Come off of Zoloft wasn't fun. I wasn't warned in advance. I thought I had a 24 hour stomach virus. But after 24 hours it was still there. I went to the doctor and they said I was withdrawing. Like why wouldn't they prepare me for this? I thought I was dying. My anxiety was running wild. I wanted to go to the ER the night before the doctor. It was a mess.

I know sometimes sucide comes to mind but be strong! Suicide has never solved anything. Going and conquering your anxiety and depression will solve it. Everything happens for a reason. You get kicked down to come back stronger. I truly believe that. I lost my uncle to suicide. He took his life on temporary feelings.

I have to thank everyone who I talked to these past few days even on other forums. I honestly don't think I could be this confident without them. I saw I wasn't the only one going through it and it felt so comforting.

• Posted

My son was given anti anxiety meds with the antidepressant.
    • Posted

Thank you! It's good to hear some positive stories. I think I scared myself a little too much by reading med reviews online. I've read personal experiences that are literally headlined "Zoloft/Prozac/Paxil Ruined My Life". My boyfriend tells me to stay away from all that stuff, especially knowing how bad my anxiety is. When my sister started Prozac for her OCD, my mom wanted to know some of the side effects because she was worried my sister was too young. The psychiatrit's first piece of advice? DO NOT LOOK AT THE SIDE EFFECTS because you will most likely start to "feel" them. 

How long were you on the meds for before you decided it was time to taper off? That's also an issue I've thought about a lot. Should I stay on it a few months? Half a year? More than a year? --In another words, how do you know you're ready?

So are you feeling a bit better as the weeks go by now that you've stopped medication?

Sorry for so many questions, but all of this is useful information! I love hearing other's experiences. It gives me hope. 

Wow, I cannot imagine how hard it must be to lose someone to suicide. The mind is so darn powerful. I just wish it didn't have the power to take someone's life. Unfortunately, some of us feel pain and disappointment down to our very core--and eventually that takes a toll. 

• Posted

Oh I know that all too well! One night I woke up feeling drunk (I wasn't) I started googling what could be wrong and bam it said I was having a stroke. I really just had a fever and a stomach virus. I gave myself a panic attack for no reason lol. Avoid googling things!

I was on Zoloft for 2 years. The doctor told me my weight gain was from the drug and insisted I come off it. I agreed because what did I know. Doctors know best. Worst decision of my life. My life was in shambles. I coolest function. I never should have came off.

The way I see it is if the drug is working for you, why come off it? Unless it's like really a health concern (pregnant and the med will effect the baby, etc). Zoloft is okay to take while pregnant which is a relief to me lol.

I'm back on Zoloft. Third week now. And I'm feeling amazing. Back to normal self.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.