Not sure if my therapist is right for me (advice, anyone?)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone, I’m fairly new to these types of forums. Let me give you a little background information before I begin with my main question. I’m a 23 year old female who has been suffering from panic attacks and really bad anxiety. I started having panic attacks about 5 months ago. The first months probably consisted of at least one panic attack every week, but haven’t had one in about 4 months. However, I live with the constant fear of having another one. My anxiety level is slowly (very slowly) going back down to baseline, but still isn’t near my anxiety level pre-panic attack. As a consequence, I stopped driving, had to quit my new job, cannot be left alone, rarely go out, unless it’s in the company of my ‘safety person’ aka my boyfriend, and I pretty much avoid going anywhere that’s not within the 5 mile radius from my home. I also find it important to mention I've dealt with depression on and off for about 7 years now.

I know I need help, which is why I sought therapy, BUT I feel that my therapist might not be right for me. I’ve read numerous articles, research papers, and books that mention CBT as being really successful in treating anxiety and panic disorder, even though I do not meet the criteria for PD. In addition to that are therapies like interoceptive exposure.

The thing is…she isn’t doing any of that. All she says is that it is in the mind and that the first step is thinking positive. I GET THAT. But HOW do I start thinking positive? I mean, if I knew how I would’ve tried long ago. I need some kind of structure so that I can track my progress. I need a consistent plan. For example, “everytime you have a negative thought, stop yourself and replace it with a positive one” OR “whenever you are feeling anxious, stop where you are and deep breath for five minutes”. She gives me strategies, but never a schedule I can follow. And the most upsetting part is that when I asked about CBT workbooks, SHE SAID THERE WERE NONE. That is not true, but I thought it would be good to mention it. She didn’t even consider CBT at all. I trust her enough to follow her treatment plan, but after 4 months in therapy I feel it is going no where.

I just feel so hopeless because I feel like I have to make my own treatment plan. Hell, I barely have the motivation to get out of bed sometimes.

Should I look for a therapist elsewhere?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I would go ahead with CBT because PD is linked to your anxiety, and if you can change your feelings and thoughts, you will change your behaviour. so give it a go what have you got to lose?
    • Posted

I'm definitely going to call a bunch of places and "screen" their therapists to see who offers CBT, or even something similar to it. It's so crazy how much I've learned from all of this. It's scary to think that your thoughts have so much power over your behavior, but they do!

Thanks for replying! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.