Not taking Citralopram and wish I had kept on it

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was taking Cit. and was feeling fine, over the last few weeks I was taking the dose sporatic.  I have now had a break up and I feel the anxiety and wish I hadn't stopped. Can someone tell me how long it takes to get back in the system. 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

a few weeks to get in the system properly. Just keep taking it regular, easiest at night. The side effects, if you get them, reduce over time. I dont really get any side effects now. 

When I first started I was feeling different within a few days, weird dreams, but took a while to kick in proper ( 2 weeks+ for me doc said 6 weeks)

• Posted

Thanks Dean,

I'm on about day 14 and yes there have been some side effects, I called a nurse and she said it takes about 4 weeks to get fully in the system. Have a few dreams myself....lol dreamed i was milking 2 cows., have to find the humour in it.  Anxiety can swell up during the day so I'm trying to practice staying calm.  Hope you are doing ok. Stay in touch.

johmac

• Posted

I hsf s few beers the other week and thought id head off the horrible downers i get the week or so after, so increased to 20mg for few days and back to 20mg. Anyway hot side effects - Had a dream i won lottery, had won 5mill and took out 2 from cash machine! It was on pink notes and had lost it lol Planned to get ford focus rs for a runaround. Then woke up, still beleived it for a bit. Bit gutting really :-)
    • Posted

"20 to 10" i mean and "Anyway some side effects" 

cant seem to edit posts with this Boards software sad

• Posted

Hi Dean,

I hear you should not drink. I'm not a drinker anyway but I have heard that it was wreak havoc on the system.  Try something tamer even thought it's hard. Don't mess with these meds. Good luck smile

• Posted

thanks johmac, havoc on the system is about right

Yeh it does mess things up for about 2 weeks after (get angry and down), one occasion I was walking about for a few hours confused (think id drank a lot). Mixed opinions around the Internet about alcohol and Cit but how it affects you is all that matters. Just find it hard to give up completely, dont see hardly anyone I used to when hitting the town, have tried 'cokes' but not the same id rather do other things. Its my birthday in 2 weeks too so few people expecting me to go out for beers lol

• Posted

If you don't mind me asking, how long were you taking citalopram and what dose were you taking?

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I started on 20 and increased to 30 after about six months (last Aug?). 30 seemed to have worked well until I foolishly stopped taking every day. I have more stress just now so I see the doc soon and may be going up to 40. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks John.   I had to restart citalopram after slowly coming off of it.  8 weeks off and anxiety

hit me.  Started back on 10 for 3 weeks, then 20 for 3 weeks now.  It's been up and down.  

I'll feel it working, then nothing, then working again, etc.  And when it's working it feels strong.

At 3 weeks now, it is maybe starting to feel more consistent.  

• Posted

When i first ever took it they put me straight on 20mg, maybe eases in side effects your way. Just saying as I dont think there is any prob starting higher.

Maybe the doc is evaluating at each dose? 

Trouble is when you are feeling ok you dont think you need it anymore

• Posted

Dean, its not worth it to drink. You have to try and focus on getting better and you will have other birthdays. I don't know how old you are but I'm sure you have a lot of life ahead of you so try and tee total, it' not forever, just for now.  

Laura, I did a stupid thing and started taking it only 2-3 times a week and then I got a bad cold and a couple of life events so I took another tumble. I'm at 26 days on 30 mg but don't feel close to being myself yet.  It's a long and winding road.

Best (just to let you know my name is not John - it's Jo (female) not your fault, happens a lot with my user name.  xx

johmac

• Posted

lol good to know!  I  made the same mistake.
    • Posted

I agree, could be on Cit for a long time to be honest with myself. When ive got my head back I slowly think about another beer again, but anyway.. 
  • Posted

Laura, did you stop completely for 8 weeks. I think we learn very hard lessons from this. I have decided that if it makes me better I don't care if I'm on it the rest of my life. x

• Posted

Yes I did stop completely for 8 weeks.  It took 8 weeks to go from 20 to 10.  Spent 5 weeks on 10.

Then off for 8 weeks.  I kinda think it was easier going off cit than going back on.  ugh

Told my husband I may be a lifer on this medication.   I surely am not going through this again.

I told my doctor that I was cutting my dose from 20 to alleviate some side effects.  Then when I got to

10, she advised me to just stop it.  I was going to stay on 10 for awhile longer, just in case.  But decided

to go off, thinking it would be ok.

• Posted

They dont understand. Try 10 for a few months first (if not longer) I am on 10mg now after complaining about non existent drive and he said try goto 10mg.

• Posted

Dean, how long have you been on 10mg?

When I restarted 7 weeks ago, I did start on 10 and did that for 3 weeks.  The 10 seemed to

do nothing for me, so went to 20 which has been more effective.

• Posted

I replied to Jo again, my god this forum is hardwork on a phone :-)

On 20 for 3 years odd, then went to 10mg. Things had improved in those 3 years I felt but having history of depression/anxiety problems so im not sure for how long. 

It was start of summer about April I went to 10mg and seemed to be ok. Def not as effective but was doing something I felt. My partner says I am short fused again on 10mg but it was a 50/50 thing to me. Anyway I had a few beers 2 weeks ago today (self inflicted my fault) and ended up going back up to 20mg for 5 days and went back to 10mg again for around 7 days now.

Things have gradually improved over this week (I found my elderly mother proper hardwork, she is anyway, but couldnt tolerate on monday) ,

I find I am ok in the morning and afternoon the effects wear off (quite a few family arguments too, where i would of handled better usually). I find the wear off period later in the day as week has gone on. Today I am bit anxious but have just done a load of gardening for my mum and the physical work helps me. Its not a definite stay on 10mg will see how I goes :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.