Nothing wrong generally but feeling really lazy

Posted , 12 users are following.

Has anyone had one of those days when everything seems too much of an effort? I am 13 weeks post operation and generally doing good. Walking nearly back to normal. This is my second knee to be done . Today I am just lounging about doing nothing and seem to have lost the motivation to do anything at all. I keep telling myself tomorrow will be different.but am feeling really guilty. We are programmed to do things and this is not right for me. Has anyone else had days like this?

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Be good to yourself...allow your body to rest..any comfort, I feel like that most days.

razz

Good Luck

• Posted

Yeah every day!!! Especially when get up to go to work!!! 😆😆😆
  • Posted

I'm at almost 8 weeks and still have quite a lot of soreness so I tell myself that is why I don't seem to accomplish much - also all those days/weeks when you really can't do much and that seems to become a habit. Once in a while I still take a pain pill and those make me sleepy.  I am retired and it is hot and humid here in Mid Atlantic US at this time of year so it really doesn't matter a lot if I don't do much. I do shop and make meals,  clean, do a bit in the garden and take walks but that is about it! There are painting jobs etc around the house that need doing and i can't get up the motivation. I expect my "drive" will come back one day!  I think you just have to take it as it comes and not beat yourself up. Another thing is that i tend to make over-optimistic lists of things I want to do each day and I have given that up as I have realized I just have to go with the flow.
    • Posted

From one Joan to another hi. I too am retired and I think that is the problem After a full working life and bringing up a family I feel as though I am on the scrap heap. I am in the north of England and the weather here at the moment is rainy and cold.
    • Posted

PS Responding to my own post because I think I made it sound as if I do more than I do!  I should have said I clean occasionally and cook simple meals. 

When I saw my surgeon for my first post-op visit he told me it takes about 6 months to recover and that recovery "is a marathon, not a sprint". So your body is still taking care of that work and it has to take priority.

Yesterday I overdid so then I was sore during the night and today I am tired and probably wont get much done at all!  That's the way it goes. If I get depressed I try to knock one thing off my project list or at least get started and that helps my mood - also getting out for a walk is very helpful.

• Posted

I'm a Leeds-born expat who also lived in Manchester so I know what you mean about the weather!

I can't believe how much less I get done than when I was working (retired 2 years ago). I was a school librarian and would spend my summers catching up with house projects because there was that September deadline.  Now it seems there are no deadlines! I guess a lot of people would envy that.

• Posted

I can echo those sentiments..I am from Nr Rotherham and it has been 5 long years and I am still in painsad
    • Posted

I remember our Heald Green years (back in the 70s) when it could be grey and dripping outside day after day - that saps your motivation as much as the heat we have here. I hope you are feeling a bit better and will be able to lose that idea of being on the scrap heap as your recovery continues. Our neighbour here is over 90 and still works part time because she felt useless when she retired but a lot of our friends are like us and fill their time with recreational activities including travel, lifelong learning classes at the local uni, and some voluntary work here and there.  We do Meals on Wheels once or twice a week - the old folk are SO appreciative and also it makes me feel young because they are 10-20 years older and can't get about much.  Of course, right now I can't do the deliveries or go hiking with our club (which is probably what ruined my knees in the first place) and classes are over for the summer, so I am not doing much of anything...
  • Posted

Joan, as a matter of fact, I have several easy chores to do today and am not really wanting to do anything. I am 7 weeks po and feel great, just kinda lazy today and feeling guilty about having no motivation. I guess we are entitled to a lazy day once in awhile. Be happy

• Posted

I'm 4 wks post op and having a very lazy day today!!! I could sleep the day away if I didn't have to do my exercises!!!!! I too am in the north of England so can't blame the hot weather ha ha !!!  I did do a bit too much yesterday though 
    • Posted

Feeling the same,i just want to sleep the day away,but at 3 weeks post op i know i have to do my exercises lol, maybe time for a power nap....
  • Posted

Joan I feel you. I am ten weeks post op. I am feeling better about my knee. The pain is all but gone and occasional shooting pain. My leg is not completely straight. I do a lot more than I did weeks ago. I have the desire to really clean my house, but somewhere along the way I lose interest. I am no neat freak, but I think I have little OCD. I am tired or lazy. I have plenty of time on my hand and nothing gets done. I lay down most of the day. I think something is wrong.
    • Posted

Janice that is exactly me. Wonder if it comes with the operation. We definitely need some answers.x
  • Posted

Know exactly how you feel Joan.  I am almost 10 wks from a Bilateral.  While my recovery has been much better than expected and my mobility really good, I totally lack motivation.  I can't believe that I have been off work for 10 weeks, and have done "bugger all" other than rehab exercises and trawling Facebook.  I have now added swimming to my rehab program, and after my first venture into the pool on Tuesday, I am nearly too sore and stiff to move. Perhaps I pushed a lap or 2 too many.  I was pretty thrilled tho that the legs still worked OK for swimming.   Went to the shops yesterday afternoon, thinking that buying some new clothes might give me a morale boost. It felt such a chore that I just gave up without buying anything that I intended.  Oh well. At least I saved some money.  Sometimes I feel like they might have thrown in a gratis labotomy while I was in theatre for the TKR.  Maybe when I get back to work I will feel more stimulated....  Hang in there, I am sure we will emerge from this post op brain slump sometime soon.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.