Now that I have CP and don't know how to change my lifestyle

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, I am Lily, 51 and I have Pancreatitis, Diabetes and I suffer from depression as well.  I don’t drink much, I love all the foods I should not have and I smoke...  I really must change my lifestyle.  My questions are, what I can eat, how do I quit smoking when the anxiety is going to kill me.   It almost seems that my life is over now...I can’t do anything I like to do anymore. I am so lost... And reading that I may develop cancer is even scarier.  I don’t have much pain because my doctor put me on Pancrelipase but I do go to bathroom about 10 times a day with diarrhea and I am away tired...  Please help me find a way to start eating better and quit smoking at the same time...Thanks for reading.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have diabetes from pancreatitis and I still get the occassional pancreatitis flare up. I no longer have to go into hospital now though because I suck on liqurice juice sticks and that sorts it out very quickly. In fact I should probably suck on them every day. I alwo take Myrrh and Grapefruit Seed Extract, which help with just about everything I suffer from a lot.

Agave nectar is a plant syrup that you can put in tea, on porridge or in plain yoghurt etc. I buy mine from Tesco. It has a gorgous light flavour and I don't have any problems with it.

• Posted

I going look for the Liqurice juice sticks next time I go to the market...  I think that will help me.
  • Posted

hi there

Just a couple of word a would like to say to you,in the morning i love grapefruit

juice then i was told by a doctor at a glasgow hospital thatwhen your take yuor med in the morning it destroys the medication then i asked my own doctor she said the same thing so what ever med your on ask you doctorif it is alright to take

them any body on high blood pressure they should ask there doctor cause

they told me only the quarter of the tablet is working not it all.

And a don1t want to damping things on people you could have the strongest lung in the world it the nicotine that doesnt mix well with the with the enzyem in the pancrese thats what causes mutatoin in the pancrease its the same mutation in all cancer growths and that is the enzyme that its in nicotine see now because a have been talking about cigs am going to take one of my wifes cigs she will not no shes sleeping and am gonyenjoy this smoke  my heart goes out to yous all

• Posted

I eat grapefruits nearly every day and use Grapefruit Seed Extract and they don't interfere with my antihistamines or painkilling meds at all!
    • Posted

just to clarify are you saying that only a quarter of the tablet for blood pressure is working? 

• Posted

So tonight for dinner I had 1/2cup brown rice, a scoop of copped broccoli and sliced turkey sursage..  Do you guys think this is OK?
  • Posted

When I have an attack, I can have chicken broth with a handfull of egg noodles.  It stops the hunger pangs and has no effect with my pancreatitis.  Even when we travel, we take cans of broth and a bag of noodles.  I always wonder what the maids think with our stack of soups and noodles.
  • Posted

I forgot.  I quit smoking by taking Chantrix for 6 months.  I had been a smoker for 45 years and the thought on not smoking scared me to death.  Quitting was the last thing on my mind. This damn disease (smoking) is so strong that your brain can rationalize not stopping even when you know it will kill you.  (I know smoking can cause lung cancer, etc. but look at how many old people you see smoking. Nothing has happened to them.)  I also had a very strong motive to quit.  I had ignored shortness of breath until I got up one day and literally could not catch my breath.  An ambulance took me to the ER where i was dianosed with COPD.  I had 50% lung capacity that was working at 24% capacity.  COPD has no cure.  All they can do is try to try and slow the progression.  Even with COPD it was hard tio quit.  It's been 13 months and I want a cigarette so bad.  I still get that taste in my mouth every time I get on the phone or get in my car.  Even with a diagnosis of COPD, quitting is the hardest thing I have ever done.  Chantix quiets the nicotine receptors in your brain,  It does not contain nicotine like patches and gum.  Other than pain meds for AP, Chantix is one of the best drugs I have taken!
    • Posted

Thanks for your comment...becuase of diabites  I cant use.  I tried it but it made me sick so my doctor took me off it.  Right now I am try the vapor stuff to see if that will help..
  • Posted

Hi Lily,

You have another chance at life if you change your life style;

It isn't easy, but sometimes you just have to make up your mind and do it.

Try some visualization...close your eyes and imagine yourself in a place, maybe the country side on a nice day, breathing the fresh warm air and being free from cigarettes at last! Just imagine for a few moments that sense of freedom. Spend time often thinking of that feeling of being free, with clear lungs, it works.

Blessings,

Lesley

• Posted

Sorry to hear the problems that you are having. It looks as if you are going through excactly the same as me. A couple of year ago I had acute pancreasis but i now think it is chronic pancrease or pancreatic cancer. I have had about 100 vists to Gp and various consutants. But to this date they have not found anything. I am back under another consultant and waiting tests with him. Green tea might help with inflamation and they say bananers help with depression. They seem to help me as the depression tablets dont work for me. Hope this has been of help to you.

• Posted

Oh..Melanie,  I hope to God its not Cancer..I have had 4 flair ups and I starting to think it Cancer too.  First time it was very bad but it has gotten better since the first time but I still get the pain from time to time but it is managable.  It seens that almost everything bothers me.  I think the only thing that I can eat now is brown rice and chicken broth.  This is all more depressing for me..I dont drink but I smoke and it because a problem to quit..I will pray for both of us..  :-)
  • Posted

I hope we are both ok. My God help us. I think I might be meeting him soon. lol

For some reason or other I seem not to have too much pain with eating. I seem to be having lots of wind. I have stopped drinking too voulntary. But it is hard not to drink. When God knows you feel like it. It is nice making contact with people who have the same problem as me. Becasue I dont like to tell the family every thing about my medical history.  They just think it is my health anxiety. But it is not.

God Bless

Melanie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.