NSAIDS and hypertension drugs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Any others here taking this combination of drugs?

I have had knee problems off and on for about seven years. Yesterday my doctor decided that my cartilage has finally 'Gone', probably finished by getting off our local trains where not only do you have to Mind the Gap but have a good two foot step down. He is arranging for another X-Ray prior to discussing my surgical options. Meantime he reluctantly prescribed an NSAID ( Naproxen) after considering my BP and past stomach ulcer and other problems.

Reading the packet insert it tells me that Losartan and most hypertensive drugs may be affected by how NSAIDS  work.

Googling Naproxen + Losartan I read,  "Significant interaction possible (monitoring by your doctor required).

losartan oral , naproxen oral . Either increases toxicity of the other by Other mechanism. Combination may reduce kidney function, particularly in elderly or volume depleted individuals.

naproxen oral decreases effects of losartan oral by opposing drug effects. Combination may reduce blood pressure reducing effect"

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Derek I am also having problems using NSAID's. Altho they help lessen pain, they are not compatible with many other medications. I have been having PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections for almost a year. However I was taking NSAID'S at the start of the therapy and then discovered they are incompatible with PRP, the reason being that PRP CREATES inflammation and NSAID's are Non Steroid Anti Inflammation Drugs! Its the same thing with Fentanyl and many other medicines. I have found that many medical sites online give a tremendous amount of knowledge and we cannot expect doctors to know every interaction between every drug. We had a duty all of us to read the Notes for Patients with every prescription drug. If we don't find what you want to know in them, then we must educate ourselves and find out about incompatibilities between drugs.  If you are on NSAID'S I find it a good idea to drink milk either before or with them so as to coat your stomach. Otherwise there is NAXIUM which will do the same thing and is used extensively in hospitals. Ask your doctor about Fentanyl patches and discuss them with him as many doctors are wary of prescribing NSAID's as they can have undesirable effects on some patients.  
    • Posted

mayday

"If you are on NSAID'S I find it a good idea to drink milk either before or with them so as to coat your stomach."

Far  better to eat 'live' (probiotic) yoghurt (one without the added fruit sugars) to line our stomachs and replace the good bacteria - especially helpful after taking a course of antibiotics which can remove the good bacteria.

• Posted

How does your doctor react to your knowledge?

I keep on going back with reasons not to take many of the drugs he prescribes using BNF. I do some research and get a lot more information than it gives him.

The UK packet information often leaves much to be desrired compared to the American ones. eg rules on prescribing Amiodarone for patients already on Warfarin, I wrote to the drug makers on that one but eventually stopped replying to their letters as they kept on trying to muddy the waters and wanted all my health records.

• Posted

How does your doctor react to your knowledge?

I keep on going back with reasons not to take many of the drugs he prescribes using BNF. I do some research and get a lot more information than it gives him.

The UK packet information often leaves much to be desrired compared to the American ones. eg rules on prescribing Amiodarone for patients already on Warfarin, I wrote to the drug makers on that one but eventually stopped replying to their letters as they kept on trying to muddy the waters and wanted all my health records.

• Posted

grape seed extract and pycnogenol are great antioxidants for keep blood thinned....keeps me off drugs, for sure....

dgl licorice is the best stomach lining protector....I would NOT be without it.  do a search and read about it.  

I see my integrative MD once a year and do all my own healing basically...she has helped me over the years but health blogs and dr. google have helped me the MOST and my alternative thinking friends.....

• Posted

When doing PRP one should NOT take NSAID, same with dextrose Prolo.  

Now, I've read with Prolozone (oxygen based) one can take a NSAID if needed for pain while Prolozone takes effect....does it's job...I'm thinking about doing Prolozone one of these days...PRP is really pricey and if it doesn't work?    

I had dextrose Prolo in shoulder over 4 yrs ago and it gave me 3 yrs of relief..... 

• Posted

Derek, do you understand integrative MD now?   I could save a lot of money and go with an HMO group but they don't have integrative MD's...and since I'm not a fan of pharma drugs and so many conventional MD's  MISS so much about our health, I pay more to be with IM  doc...we have many here in southern calif....our country does NOT have your govt health insurance, so we do a lot of our own work on healing and prevention....

If a person said to me....I can only afford one supplement, which one should I take.....I'd say grape seed extract.....this antioxidant has given me  more top notich health since on it 19 yrs..... 

Now, IF ONLY I hadn't done a hip replacement or needed one, I'd be in such great shape....I would not be here probably....since I came to this forum for support on the hip replacement mess... 

• Posted

I'm waiting for an X-ray on my knee that might lead to a replacement in my doctors estimation. I had always thought that it would be hip first knee second:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.