NSAIDS and hypertension drugs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Any others here taking this combination of drugs?

I have had knee problems off and on for about seven years. Yesterday my doctor decided that my cartilage has finally 'Gone', probably finished by getting off our local trains where not only do you have to Mind the Gap but have a good two foot step down. He is arranging for another X-Ray prior to discussing my surgical options. Meantime he reluctantly prescribed an NSAID ( Naproxen) after considering my BP and past stomach ulcer and other problems.

Reading the packet insert it tells me that Losartan and most hypertensive drugs may be affected by how NSAIDS  work.

Googling Naproxen + Losartan I read,  "Significant interaction possible (monitoring by your doctor required).

losartan oral , naproxen oral . Either increases toxicity of the other by Other mechanism. Combination may reduce kidney function, particularly in elderly or volume depleted individuals.

naproxen oral decreases effects of losartan oral by opposing drug effects. Combination may reduce blood pressure reducing effect"

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you for your post on this subject Derek.  I'm very interested to read your comments about adverse interactions between these drugs.  I was told to take NSAIDs for osteo arthritis pain but had a very nasty allergic reaction, particularly to ibuprofen but also to naproxen, so stopped taking them and am trying to reduce the inflammation and pain by other means.  My partner is taking blood pressure medication and is prescribed naproxen for degenerative disc problems and also for knee and foot tendon/cartilage inflammation (he's 6'5" tall and a lot of his issues are as a result of his skeletal size apparently).  I shall check with him what type of blood pressure meds he is on and get him to research the issues of interactions.  He's had a lot of episodes of inflammation lately, far more than usual, which the doctors are the group surgery we use tend to put down to 'age', however he's 58 which in anyone's mind is definitely NOT old.
    • Posted

Whilst the warnings are there we do not know the extent to which Naproxen alters the effects of the BP drugs. It s strange that it reduces the potency of some but increases the potency of others. 

Often you can minimise interactions by taking the drugs at different times of day but NSAIDs are usually taken twice a day.

• Posted

There is a LOT of info out there on the cholesterol myth and that a "smart" MD checks their patients' homocysteine levels....my folks lived into 90's ate fats like crazy and the word cholesterol was never mentioned in their lives....it's so much about drug profits TODAY.

Cholesterol and good fats are important to our health including brain  health......so many seniors today going into dementia and alz and most likely low in fats...

• Posted

My Granny was a cook (like Mrs Patmore) and my mother and aunts all learned their cooking skills from her. They all used masses of butter and cream. Their husbands died but they lived well into their 80's and my mother to 92. 
    • Posted

That's an interesting point Joy about the problems with avoiding fats, dementia etc.  My neighbour had a series of TIA's and eventually it was discovered she had severe arterial blockages.  She underwent a triple bypass and has recovered well.  However she is now obsessive about fat in her diet, detrimentally so I believe.  She is so paranoid that 'fat' caused her issues she has removed even good fats from her diet.  Her general health is definitely suffering and she has become very vague, forgetful and fragile.  She's only in her mid 50's and a tiny slim little thing.  I really fear for her wellbeing and I'm sure it's resulting from not realising she's gone to an extreme regarding fat in her diet.

My mother's great grandmother died at 102, in an era where life expectancy was low.  Her daughter, my great grandmother, lived to 98 and smoked like a chimney. My grandmother was in her mid 90's.  My mother was 89 and died from cancer, although her vascular health was near perfect.  All smoked, all ate red meat, butter, full fat milk, etc.  It's interesting however that as time progressed, the longevity decreased.  Their diets or 'modern living' I wonder?

• Posted

I've told my partner to read up carefully on the specific medications he's taking and to question his GP next visit.  I wouldn't advise him to stop taking either but your informative and interesting post has given us food for thought on the subject.
    • Posted

Ioxi  I agree with you. Never skip all fats in any diet! My aunt also lived until 102. I don't think she took any medication at all, lived in the countryside, ate red meat, fish, butter and the usual everyday food we all should be eating. I love butter and will never give it up. Your neighbour will be heading into a decline by the sound of it. But it's all in her mind about giving fat being good for us. No way!  She should be weaned out of this state of mind and perhaps you could suggest she has one meal with fat and another without and strike a happier medium. Don't overlook that your family and mine lived a normal life with good food and fat. She is not from your family so her background and beliefs in eating are totally different. I bet you are in excellent health! Good for you!  Stop worrying about this neighbour.  A friend of mine is the same as her. There's nothing we can do to change their attitudes. I have given up. We have to accept that what and how we eat ARE US.  I think its the answer to why some people are happy and others miserable. Best wishes and keep up the fat intake!
    • Posted

derek76  Your family sounds like mine. All lived to a ripe old age and their penchant for bags of butter and cream passed down to me! I don't think a day goes by without me eating both! Both are natural produce! My mother never had margarine in the house and neither have I and would consider it a gross insult to be served such doctored produce. There is nothing in the world better than butter!
    • Posted

Hello Joy! I imagine that like me you never heard of the word cholesterol when you were younger! Wonder if it came from across the Atlantic...or if you live over there?  I was amazed when I visited America and went into a restaurant. On the wall was a notice: ONLY MARGARINE SERVED HERE! I could not believe my eyes! I asked the cashier: Is that a joke? She replied: No Ma'am!   I left the place as the thought and smell of margarine was foreign to me. There was a marked difference when I bought and thoroughly enjoyed a DUNKIN DONUT (sic) and I always felt they were the best things to come out of American kitchens. I think there were 38 flavours in their icecreams?  I don't know if butter was used in them but those dunkin donuts were the most delicious I have ever eaten.  Best wishes
    • Posted

Derek:  The reason some drugs work for some and not for others, lies with our enzymes. To metabolize, a drug needs the right enzyme and if we do not have enough or too much of it, this changes the effects of the drugs. If you go online and ask which enzyme is needed to effect NAPROXEN you can then see if you have sufficient or too much of that enzyme. Best wishes.
    • Posted

Couldnt agree more mayday.  My mother wasn't an intellectual and wouldn't have known how to research information on foodstuffs, she just intuitively 'knew' what was good or bad for her.  Margarine is basically plastic plain and simple.  It was a waste product originally and they found if they dyed it yellow and packaged it, they could sell it as a cheap alternative to butter.  Who in their right mind wants to eat plastic.  Her generation, who lived through the austerity measures of the second world war, are the generation with the most longevity.  Reason being, they worked hard, didnt sit in front of TV screens or computer screens for hours on end, didn't eat 'fast food' and ate natural produce in balanced quantities.  Too much saturated fat is obviously bad for you but in moderation, it's an essential dietary requirement.
    • Posted

Like me she ate margerine during the war and cooked with lard and suet. Though not much of it as the margarine ratio was 4ozs a week and butter 2ozs.There was still a lot of fat in our food in those days. Sausages were not rationed and who knows what went into them:-)

Our fast food was meat and pork pies and fish and chips. Perhaps the lack of sugar was the greatest benefit with the ration 8 ozs a week.

and only a 1Lb of jam every two months.  

The sweet ration was 12 ozs a month and apart from a brief period after the war sweets were rationed until 1953.

One wartime "treat" was beetroot pudding!

"Just the job to make your sugar ration go further! First mix flour and baking powder, rub in the margarine, then add sugar and grated beetroot.

Now mix all the ingredients to a soft cake consistency with 3 or 4 tablespoons of milk. Add a few drops of flavouring essence if you have it. Turn the mixture into a greased pie dish or tin and bake in a moderate oven for 35 minutes. This pudding tastes equally good hot or cold"

• Posted

ahhh beetroot.  A true 'wonder food'. it contains potassium, magnesium, iron, vitamins A, B6 and C, folic acid, carbohydrates, protein, antioxidants and soluble fibre. It's recognised for reducing blood pressure.  My mum's family lived in South London adjacent to the Thames during the war.  No garden but everyone had allotments and grew their own veg.  They didnt buy ready made foods, ie pies, pastries or fish and chips, they didn't have the money.  So everything was home cooked using the meagre allowances of rationing.  One neighbour had a goat on his allotment and they were lucky enough to get the odd pint of goats milk.  Apparently the kids took turns in guarding it in case some smart alec stole it for sunday lunch smile
    • Posted

During the wart my wifes father kept racing pigeons and bred rabbits.

The rabbits and surplus pigeons provided dinner. 

An uncle of mine used to get seagull eggs! Rather small and very fishy.

I rather like goat and seek it out when in Portugal.

• Posted

I had pigeon pie one time.  Some friends of my parents were 'country folk' and very strapped for cash.  They lived on a battered old houseboat stuck in the mud in a rural backwater and the sons used to go out catching whatever critters they could and their mum would rustle up meals from the catch.  Wood pigeons abounded in the area so were a staple on the menu.  I have to say my distant memory of it is that it was very gamey and chewy and I've avoided it ever since smile
    • Posted

We saw pigeons in a butcher/game dealers window the other day. I tried to tempt my wife with a childhood memory but she just commented "There's not much on them" She still like rabbit (wild not farmed)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.