Numb penis and scrotum. Please help.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm a 23 yeard male and for the past year my entire pubic area, penis, and scrotum have been numb to pleasure.  I can still feel pain from a pinch, just no pleasure down there.  I can still get erections and orgasm, but it takes longer because of the numbness.  The numbness has affected my libido as well.

I have tried ruling out hormonal problems like testosterone, estrogen, and prolactin.  I had all these tested and the results all came back within range.  I had my thyroid's TSH level tested only and it was fine.  I'm unsure if I should test all other thyroid levels like T3/T4 or not.

I would be so appreciative if anyone could help me.  My doctor doesn't seem to know what else to check.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

google pudendal neuralgia....

if it's not that, it is probably the nerves anyway !!!

there are a lot of nerves down there....genitofemoral, etc

go see a pelvic pain clinic

• Posted

your doctor is stupid...it's the nerves that have an issue, not the thyroid
    • Posted

Well my doctor intially thought it was a nerve issue, but he is unsure now because I can still feel pain from a prick and what not.  Only thing I can't feel is pleasure which in turn makes everything down there feel "numb".
  • Posted

Don't bother with the other thyroid tests because I do not think the answer will be there. Were you ever on one of the SSRI's for depression or ANY mood altering medicaine or drug? Did you ever take Finasteride for hair loss? Having an MRI scan of LS spine might be an idea.
    • Posted

I got a weird story about that.  It's got me worried a bit.

In Fall 2011, I took one 5mg pill of an SSRI called Lexapro (escitalopram).  It was the first and only SSRI I have ever taken.  I had a bad reaction to it and stopped after the first dose.  Luckily I didn't have any lingering symptoms after that one dose.

Two years later in Fall 2013, I tried a supplement called SAM-e (s-adenosylmenthionine).  I heard it was a safe supplement for mood and joints health with no side effects.  I took the SAM-e for about 5 days at 800mg (kind of a high dose).  It made me feel a bit sick to my stomach so I stopped it after those 5 days.  If I remember correctly I believe after I stopped the SAM-e I think my numbness started.

I've been super worried that I somehow got PSSD (post SSRI sexual dysfunction) from that one pill of Lexapro.  Is it possible that the one Lexapro could have had something to do with this and caused it two whole years later when triggered by the SAM-e?  Hopefully not.

Also, I've never taken Finasteride or anything like that.

• Posted

I'm afraid that you are coming very close to the answer now Jovvo. This is SSRI or SAM-e related. They can leave a footprint on pleasure receptors in your brain. I have seen this many times in my practise. It may ease in time and yes you are right,, it is weird.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply andrew

Ever doctor I have mentioned my experience to has told me no thats impossible.  They tell me that these symptoms were not caused by one SSRI pill two years ago or the SAM-e. 

I've searched for side effects like this for SAM-e and I couldn't find anything on the internet.  Apparently its a pretty side effect free supplement.  However, SSRIs on the other hand I have seen a few people say they experience numb genitals.  But never from just a single dose and especially not starting years later.

I've even posted on a PSSD forum before and I had people there tell me that they didn't think I had it.  I don't know what to think anymore.  This is such a disturbing feeling. 

I remember in 2011 I spoke with a general practitioner about some mild anxiety I was having.  I asked if there was anything mild and non addicting.  I was given Lexapro.  She told me it was mild and took weeks to kick in.  I was never told that it could cause permanent side effects.  How is that legal?  How is that medicine?  How can a GP be allowed to prescribe pysch meds?  So many questions.

Anyway, so you say you've seen this many times?  Have you seen anyone recover from it or is it permanent?

• Posted

Hi, a variety of things come to mind that could cause this.

Drugs (over the counter and otherwise). Alcohol use, Injury, Low Self Esteem, Too much weight, Not enough exercise, or simply not being very interested in sex.

It's possible the problem may not be medical... A friend of mine also in his early 20's, mentioned that as he got older he became extremely hairy. He said his sensitivity increased a lot after trimming the hair in that area.

Anothe possible reason is, if someone is overly agressive when masturbating or having sex, then the area can become less sensitive. If the agressive activity is stopped the sensitivity may return.

Also, too much sex or masturbation can cause this as well. Usually if we wait until the urge arises, the body will become more sensitive to it's needs and will adjust.

Just trying to thing outside the box. Hope it helps.

• Posted

wow, you should have just said it happened after the lexapro event...

it's not that tragic though, at least you don;t have to live with chronic pain

• Posted

Check out penis health cremes.  These are applied daily and can help with all kinds of issues down there (lack of sensitivity, dryness, rashes etc.).  I've been using one for a while now and am having good results.  There are a lot of these cremes out there, but I suggest getting one with all natural ingredients.  You don't want any weird side effects.  Hope this helps.  
  • Posted

Jovvo: I know exactly how you feel like. I have penis numbness. even coldish sometimes, much less sensitive, feels like a piece of rubber and it is extremely annoying. I feel empty. Also no libido. 

This seems like a condition affecting a small percentage of population who go on certain drugs (it is crazy) and most docs won't believe it. PLEASE: go on propecia help forum, register and try to get in touch with me there "numduck". We can discuss your medical tests and you can get to discuss with people dealing with similar issues and thinking out of the box. you can pretend you have taken finasteride just to get in the forum, contact me after that. 

Dr Andrew: you said you have seen it many times in your practice? seriously? Most doctors (endos and uros) tell me they have rarely ever seen that. Is it mostly SSRI & Finasteride? Does it go away with time? Is there any literature on this receptor in the brain? 

Thanks 

• Posted

Hi Jovvo,

Did you end up improving at all?

Thanks

Alex

• Posted

Hey Jovvo if you're still here, I've been having the same problem for a little over a year. The base of my penis and the front of my scrotum are numb to everything except the sensation of pain.

I believe I have nerve damage from rough masturbation practices. I used to lay on my stomach in bed and hump my mattress occasionally and I never experienced any pain from it. I learned it was very dangerous only after it was too late. My penis has become numb for the last year. Have you engaged in any similar activities? That could be the problem.

• Posted

Hey man , I am experiencing the same symptoms.Numb penis to pleasure and no orgasm from masturnsting on my stomach .I was wondering if you made any improvements?
  • Posted

You are probably deficient in vitamin B-12

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.