numb small and pinky finger due to sleep position - ulnar nerve issue

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hii all,

I am new to forum and seeking some help. From past some days randomly after sleeping in the morning either or both hand fingers ( small and pinky ) goes numb. It takes 5 10 seconds to get back to life.

Well i know i sleep in bad slewpijg position ( also on small bed from some days ), i sleep on my stomach with my hands below the chest, elbow bent.

Well i want to ask if i should consult a doc or changing my sleeping position will resolve . I have heard its cubital tunnel syndrome. It does not cause me pain from anything else just that sleeping is problematic and sometimes leave weird sensation for a day in my fingers though its not pain or loss of motion. . I can palpate that nerve just above my elbow muscle is that normal ? I have heard ulnar nerve is just below the surface . Scared a bit

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try sleeping in a different position; you may be pressing on a nerve.  Doctors can’t really do much if anything at all for neuropathic pain.  What do you mean when you say you can palpate the nerve above your elblow muscle?
    • Posted

Hiii thanks for the reply, by palpation i mean when i rub above elbow i get electrical sensation in fingers may be because i touch that nerve..

I m updating my sleeping position and will see the results

• Posted

I get this sensation in my elbow which I fell on forty years ago.      Massaging it gives me this feeling because I think I damaged the ulnar nerve which runs under the elbow.  Hot weather really helps it.
    • Posted

yes its like the same thing, massaging or rubbing brings this sensation which goes to little finger.

but i don't think i damaged any nerve? its just irritation due to sleeping or something.

i had this feeling before also but never had any numbness and pain. Can it be caused due to gym workouts and all ?

i have also heard that ulnar nerve travels very close to skin near elbow. So its very easy to touch it. can it be this way ?

• Posted

one more thing that i would like to add, which might have contributed to this sort of situation and that is,  i had been involved in some serious mobile gaming for 2 weeks around. i used to lie on my stomach and play the game putting pressure on elbows, hope you get me.

So it might have also contributed. sad

• Posted

It probably is more to do with your sleeping position so I would change that to see if it makes a difference.  The skin on the elbow is quite thin which makes the elbow vulnerable to injuries.  I don’t know whether exercise could have caused it.  If the trouble started straight after strenuous workouts, you might have strained it.  However, a doctor would be the best person to ask about that if a different sleeping position doesn’t help.
    • Posted

I lose sensations in my hands if I am on the phone for a while or am holdong my Ipad for long periods because both my arms and hands have nerve injuries.  You could also be pressing on the ulnar nerve when leaning on your elbows.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply.

My best bet for now is to change the sleeping position and relax for few days. I have already left mobile gaming as I knew it was causing stress on my hand. yes of course I used to be on elbows while playing game so might have irritated the nerve so lets try to give it some rest.

• Posted

I think that’s the best thing you can try for the moment.
    • Posted

Your the 1st person to describe this symptom...this happens to me as well..everytime I hold my phone for an extended time my fingers start losing sensation,shaking the hands make it better?
    • Posted

Hi Shak ;D

It's not the same. If I told you I put a 60-80kg weight on top of my foot for eight hours a day, you would hardly question why I was feeling numbness. This is only at night and because Danbb is literally lying on top of his hands at a weird angle. He doesn't get any spontaneous pain or numbness except when he sleeps on them. Pretty obvious cause and effect tbh. smile

• Posted

Both my hands and arms have this problem due to injuries.   I flex my hand back and forth until I feel tingling and then I know I am getting power and sensation back.  Sometimes I switch to using the hand that is unaffected to give the other time to recover and when it loses sensation, I switch back again.  I also find I can’t cross my legs for as long as I used to without my feet going numb.  Even when I am sitting with uncrossed legs I can get it.  When I was sitting on the beach on a deckchair with my legs stretched out, when I stood up I had to tap and stamp my foot to get the nerves working again.  It can be so annoying!
    • Posted

Hiii...

I was referring to the pippa comment..i totally agree with u on you comment

• Posted

Hello Dear,

its been 3-4 days and I am sleeping on my back and not on my stomach with the weird angle as described previously, well thankfully I have not got numb during these days. So thats perfectly worked.

I also managed my sitting while working on computer, i try not to put pressure on my elbow while at keyboard.

Most of the things are fine, its just one thing, sometimes i feel very very very mild fuzzy feeling in my little or pinky finger. It might also be due to the reason that I am concentration too much on it [ as I am quite an anxious person ], or it may be that things may take time to settle because of irritation to ulnar due to my bad sleeping position.

Hoping for the best smile

• Posted

no problem with range of motion though
    • Posted

It can take up to three months to settle down, but it will most likely go away.  I cut my circulation off carrying a fairly light shopping bag.  It took an hour for my hand to thaw out and I had numbness in my pinky and fourth finger for thrree minths constantly.  It did improve, but sometimes it does come back.  I have other fingers like that due to injuries.  Hot weather stops it, but I notice it more in colder weather.

Try to relax and forget about it. I just put up with it without worrying because anxiety will trigger my IBS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.