numb small and pinky finger due to sleep position - ulnar nerve issue

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hii all,

I am new to forum and seeking some help. From past some days randomly after sleeping in the morning either or both hand fingers ( small and pinky ) goes numb. It takes 5 10 seconds to get back to life.

Well i know i sleep in bad slewpijg position ( also on small bed from some days ), i sleep on my stomach with my hands below the chest, elbow bent.

Well i want to ask if i should consult a doc or changing my sleeping position will resolve . I have heard its cubital tunnel syndrome. It does not cause me pain from anything else just that sleeping is problematic and sometimes leave weird sensation for a day in my fingers though its not pain or loss of motion. . I can palpate that nerve just above my elbow muscle is that normal ? I have heard ulnar nerve is just below the surface . Scared a bit

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This is definitely your sleeping position. I once slept on a pillow that was too flat for me, and would also wake up every morning with numb pinkies. As soon as I replaced the pillow and thus improved my posture, it went away.
    • Posted

Hii thanks for the reply. Last night i restricted my sleeping position. It disturbed my sleep but saved numbness. I ll follow it up.

Please suggest is it very much serious thing or i should continue with my daily activities .

I still have very very mild sensation in pinky finger because if last episode of numbness may be .. can u suggest how many days this mild sensation will last. Thanks and regards

• Posted

I highly doubt this is serious. Anyone's nerves would get irritated by continuous compression. I imagine it's probably a bit inflamed from the long-term irritation, so that would explain the sensitivity when you palpate it. Take an anti-inflammatory and work on sleeping properly. I'm sure it'll resolve very quickly. I'd only worry if you start experiencing numbne or pain during the day without explanation.

• Posted

well thanks a lot, I also feel its purely sleep problem because i sleep on my stomach and both hands under my chest taking all the pressure and its been happening for around 15-20 days on and off.

I am only worried about this palpation well but your reply seems conclusive. I will work on sleeping postures. As of now no day time pain or numbness is there.

I have read on Internet that this nerve is very close to skin surface, can this also be the reason i could touch it or feel it? and may be this thing is making me anxious. 

I am an overly anxious person just to let u know smile

• Posted

one more thing that i would like to add, which might have contributed to this sort of situation and that is,  i had been involved in some serious mobile gaming for 2 weeks around. i used to lie on my stomach and play the game putting pressure on elbows, hope you get me.

So it might have also contributed. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.