Number of Flare Ups

Posted , 14 users are following.

Can anyone share on the number of flare ups they have in a year?  I have had a flare up ( uncomplicated) almost every 6 months.  My doctor said she would rather deal with that then have surgery.  I don't know what is causing this but have stress issues dealing with anxiety/menopause issues.  The number of flare ups is scaring me a bit and I don't think its a good idea to be on antibiotics that much even though its the only thing to relieve symptoms.  

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Cindy,

I feel the same, have had 3 flare ups this year, a lot for me. Normally once every year.

Yes the GP would rather you deal with it, antibiotics then low fibre diet until symptoms ease. My last flare is taking a while to settle.

Yes I think stress is a large factor because if your immune system gets low a flare-up becomes more likely.

I think a way to control anxiety, meditation, yoga (gentle) is something I really must try and apply my self to.

Too much chaos in life just recently but that is what life is all about, great if you don't weaken.

Best of luck

• Posted

I agree, stress needs to be managed and practicing yoga and meditation.  Lots of negative excitement going on right now for me. I guess I just need to learn how to deal with it all and not let it affect me physically. Easier said than done! 
  • Posted

No don’t have fever or vomiting. Just pain off the charts it’s so bad. Over the years have attributed it to IBS. Last month saw Dr and after exam he said I had DD and put me on antibiotics. Never recovered from that. Had another attack soon after going off  antibiotics so. Dr said that was not a good sign since I had them so close together. Needless to say I’m beginning to doubt infection or no infection. I know we are all anxious about our issues and with good reason. Well Dr just called and they are going to do surgery on me. Oh noooo
    • Posted

Patricia surgery may b best My case was highly complicated Most on forum have no regrets Remember it will take 3 months or longer to recuperate Do your best to have everything in order at home I'm going on week 3 of second surgery and still can't walk long enough to go to grocery store or do any house work B prepared for incontinence Thank goodness my daughter got these items for me Write questions for surgeon no matter how small he or she will b happy to answer!

• Posted

I had the surgery open cut sigmoid colectomy almost 4 months ago. I'm so glad I did it because in my case it saved my life. If they ask you if you want the "block ", say YES! In my case the diverticulitis symptoms went away within 2 days. Yes the surgery pain is horrible but eventually it mellows out and goes away unlike DD. I had to go through 14+ attacks before I could get my insurance to approve it. Just remember, patience while you heal.

• Posted

I have a flare up about every 6 months as well. It usually is a result of my "falling off the wagon" and eating or drinking something that I know is not good for someone with DD. My doctor said the minor flare is reasonable to deal with -- with antibiotics rather than surgery. I was referred to a colorectal surgeon who said the same thing. No surgery for me unless it's absolutely necessary.

• Posted

It’s so odd, I went 8 yrs without an issue then all of a sudden it’s every 6 months. I fee the same about diet, I will start feeling good then not be as careful with food, then add some stress and here I am again with DD.  I also have IBS so there’s aLways something going on with my belly.  I feel better knowing I’m not alone in this situation. Thanks for sharing. 
  • Posted

The surgery is where they go in through the naval and look around. He doesn’t have a clue what is wrong. He told me that so wants me to have this ASAP. My daughter says no way. Not without a second opinion I have so many health issues and am too old for that without a second opinion. My son in law is a Dr and he agrees with her. She’s a hard nosed lawyer. We know another Gastro Dr who I use to see. I live in HOUSTON so found another on my side of town several years ago. She knows him well so in the morning I will have to call him for an appointment and call the Gastro back who wants the surgery and explain this to him. The pain is really bad. Pray this all works out. Thank you all for listening. That’s what we’re all about isn’t it. ?
    • Posted

patricia I don't know your other health problems but if I had the money ( my insurance denied a second opinion) I would have certainly had one ! Please keep us in touch we are all concerned! Thank goodness for your family support

• Posted

I live in Houston. I feel lucky to have a great medical community where I can get multiple opinions on my DD issues. Over 2 yrs, I had 2 flares that were bad enough to need hosp. For iv antibiotics. After that my gi doc suggested surgical intervention, but when I I went to the surgeon, she said to wait. I've been symptom free for 8 months, I'm very very careful about what i eat and drink. Absolutely no alcohol. I drink 8 glasses of water daily. So far, so good.

• Posted

Oh my goodness Pecan you live in HOUSTON too. !!That’s amazing. If you don’t object would you mind emailing me and we can discuss some issues?. I’m waiting on daughter now to talk to her Gastro Dr to see if I can get in to see him ASAP. 

I live in the Memorial area. Here is my email address.

Thank you. Glad you are doing well!

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Pecan wow you live in Houston as well. That’s awesome. Would you be willing to email me? I live in the Memorial area. My email address is:

Glad you are doing well. That’s good news. I don’t drink either and try to drink lots of water like you. Everything is important when dealing with this miserable disease. I would love to hear from you. 

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Second opinion is a must!!!! There are too many risks to just do it!  I have a conservative doctor and he says he won’t rush it.  If you are in terrible pain then please explore second opinion. Prayers.
    • Posted

Thank you Madeline. I have an appointment this afternoon with another Dr for the second opinion. I just don’t want to go into surgery of any kind without the benefit of another Dr.’s advice. This has been going on so long and I’m so weary of it all. But then we all are. Thank you for your prayers. You certainly have mine as well. I’ll post my results after the visit. God bless!
    • Posted

Well saw Dr and he says no surgery now. Says I have severe divertultar disease with spasms. The Miltiple Myeloma I have is adding to the problem. I see him again in two weeks.  So I’m thankful for this second opinion. He’s started me on two new meds. One is Linzess the other Mentha-XL. The first one is a prescription the second one is not. Hope this is helpful to you all and I pray  he’s got it right. God bless you all my friends!
    • Posted

Can you share what the doctor's comments were insofar as Mentha-XL? I read your post and researched it online, and it looked like the product was used for IBS. Is IBS like a first-cousin of DD? I know they're somewhat related. Keep posting about your experience with Mentha-XL if you decide to take it. I had a mild flare last night, am keeping it low with Tylenol 500 -- not running a temp.

• Posted

Yes if course. IBS is related to DD. The difference in most cases is you don’t run a fever with IBS. The intestinal gas, cramps, bloating, diarrhea an/or constipation is All there. He was very impressed with this drug and he said the good news is it isn’t a prescription but one you can order on Amazon. I’m a big Amazon fan but he didn’t know that. He’s serious about ordering it there however. He says that’s the best place to get it. Be sure to take it 30 to 60 minutes before a meal. I’ve had Diverticulitis several times and it’s no walk in the park. So I’m going to try both the meds he prescribed and pray they help me and everyone who tries them. I know we are all looking for some relief if only a small bit. Good luck with this. Prayers! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.