Numbness

Posted , 16 users are following.

Good morning all! I have a question for all the folks that are further along in this process.

How long did it take before the numbness in the outside of the knee start going away. Did you get all the feeling back or just part of it? Was it more sensitive as it started coming back ? Did it itch, burn or have other symptoms?

Thanks for any imput I'm just curious about what lays ahead.

Hope each and every one of you have a merry Christmas and Happy new year!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

6 months for me still get bouts on the outside if I push too hard or award jobs I'm 11 month right leg and I'm now 4 weeks post the left leg xx

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback Joan! I was just curious. I'm 4 weeks on my right leg. Still have a long way to go.

I plan on doing the left knee august 2018. Have you experienced any difference in pain or progress from your 1st to the 2nd?

Good luck with your newest knee hopefully you'll have minimal pain and maximum recovery.

• Posted

Still have numbness on outside of knees. Was told might always have the numbness somewhat. I am 2 years out from left knee and 1 yr out from right. 
    • Posted

I certainly hope that the feeling will come back at some point for you. Not quite sure how I'll feel about it if it doesn't for me (not that there is anything I can do about it) it just is so weird to touch your knee and not feel anything except a little pressure.

I guess if that's the price for having a pain free knee again it'll be worth it.

• Posted

I had my 1st one done 12mths ago today knee still numb but not a problem 2nd one 6 mths ago and numbness gone have exercised and iced until about a month ago but best of all no pain when walking.
    • Posted

Happy anniversary lol. That's interesting how one knee did so much better than the other. Maybe with a little more time the first one will catch up to the second as far as getting feeling back.

• Posted

Hi Bobby mac, 

​for me it took a good while around 8 months but part of it is still very slightly numb now(after 16months)It doesnt itch or burn at all, but sometimes there is a wired feeling.

Happy new year to you too

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Dawn.

I guess the bottom line is we have to commit to a long term healing process and learn to be patient.

• Posted

bobbymac.... I'm at 6 weeks and was told by my physio to try to rub the area several times a day to attempt to de-sensitize it.... It is still tingly and sensitive....   Off topic.. Where are you from.  I had a buddy in high school whose name was bobbymac  and same year of birth????   Just curious,,Its a small world!

• Posted

Like you I have been working on the area as advised by my therapist. So far I haven't noticed any change. But then again I'm still spending most of the night in my recliner although it seems to be getting a bit better today.

I am from and still live in a small town in east texas about 120 miles north of Houston. I was born in 57.

Where are you?

• Posted

Well you aren't my bobbymac from high school days. I am from a small town west of Toronto Ontario in Canada....That would have been really weird!!!     I had big bad issues with pain, depression, not sleeping,  tightness in not bending enough!!     Woke up at end of week 5 after re-starting Celebrex(anti-inflammatory) and a low dose of amitriptyline and it was a new world.  Exercises are do-able.  Hurt like heck but do-able.  Sleeping through the night too now!

• Posted

Yes that would have been weird. I had started sleeping most of the night in my bed last week end but that all changed after my therapy session monday.

I have been fortunate that I have decent rom at 110 but my extension was at 22 and my therapist has been concentrating on that. He got pretty aggressive Monday and it's put me back in my chair every night since then.

I knew going into this it would be tough so I'm just putting in the effort and waiting to turn the corner (hopefully sooner than later ).

My doctor is telling me I will be able to go back to work mid February but the way I'm feeling I think that might be a little optomistic.

Good luck on your recovery and try and stay warm up there.

• Posted

I'm 13 weeks tkr and I've still got a bit of numbness on the outside of my knee. My surgeon said it might never come back because it's impossible to do that op without cutting nerves. It doesn't bother me at all though, I think I'm just used to it

• Posted

I'm the same Louise I have numbness on the outer part of the knee but it doesn't bother me, just feels weird whenever you touch it x

• Posted

I am 9 months post op.

All feeling back.

Zingy nerve feelings sometimes..rather random, no bother. I choose to think positively about them, i.e. they are mending! Hello! new nerve endings!

Hapay Christmas!

I have been fortunate to have a very good outcome, and am very grateful for this. I can kneel and do more than I could do for years.

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. It has a lot of useful suggestions and information. Hopefully it might be useful to you.

• Posted

Thanks Jenny for the encouraging words. So glad it has gone well for you.

I will read your journal so I can compare my progress with yours.

Merry Christmas from Texas!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.