Numbness

Posted , 16 users are following.

Good morning all! I have a question for all the folks that are further along in this process.

How long did it take before the numbness in the outside of the knee start going away. Did you get all the feeling back or just part of it? Was it more sensitive as it started coming back ? Did it itch, burn or have other symptoms?

Thanks for any imput I'm just curious about what lays ahead.

Hope each and every one of you have a merry Christmas and Happy new year!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI Bobbymac,

I am almost 5 months post op Ltkr and I still have numbness.  My doctor said it may never go away, but to be honest, it really doesn't bother me.  I have never had any itching, burning or any other problems on the outside of the knee.  As you work toward gaining back your strength, you will have some soreness and aching, but your concentration will be on your rehabilitation and learning to walk all over again.  Everyone is different so you may hear from those that have experienced different symptoms.  This forum is the best place to get a variety of answers for all your questions...don't know what I would've done without it! So many great and helpful people here!

Have you already had your tkr?  If so, when?  Good luck to you whichever it is.

Many Christmas blessings to you.  Keep us updated on your progress.

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Oops, just read that you are 4 months post-op!  Take care! 🍒

• Posted

Hi Cherry! You are so right, this forum is a great resource.

Merry Christmas and have a happy new year.

• Posted

Hi!

Had both knees replaced in 2015. My right knee done in October of that year has no numb areas. My left knee still has numbness on the outer part of my calf. The numbness really doesn't bother me. I'm just used to it! The NO PAIN in my knees was worth some numbness of the skin... FOR SURE!

Can walk and stand and shop and garden now for as long as I want. Don't need to constantly find somewhere to sit. Shovelled the whole driveway the other day. My knees were GREAT! Arthritic back, not so good! My two knee replacements we're the best two things I ever did to improve my life!

Some nerves may not awaken. Others will wake up with weird twinging sensations. Strange!

Take care!

Have a great Christmas!🎄🎅😊

• Posted

Thanks for the info. Guess I'm going to have to prepare myself for the possibility that I may never fully regain feeling. Like you I am going to have the other one done next year. Looking forward to pain free knees.

Happy Holidays!

• Posted

Thank you for your comments and advice. This site is very helpful &informative...just had tkr on left 3 weeks ago.

• Posted

Thank you for your story. I m relieved to hear all the things you can do again. I am about 4 wks. after left tkr. I did home pt and started outpatient. I m keeping up on tge off days with pT also.
  • Posted

It’s all part of the recovery process. Keep massaging the area with coconut oil. I even used an electric hand massager on low where I could tolerate it.  It took 3 months for it to go away for me. Cut one of those foam noodles into about a 1 foot piece and insert a dowel through the hole making a foam roller out of it. Roll it up and down your leg several times a day.  Hang in there.
  • Posted

Hello Bobbymac, I am 14 months down the line & still have some numbness down the outside of my leg just under the knee, to 1/2 way down the lower leg. It isn't completely numb as such, it feels like when you have pins & needles & the blood flow is just returning. It's no bother, doesn't stop me walking etc, just feels 'odd'! After a year I assume it won't ever come back, but hey ho. I have a working knee, I can do all I need to & best of all NO PAIN!  

Some get full feeling back, some don't. It's a bit like a lucky dip, you don't know what you're gonna get until after the event!

Go with the flow, as long as you can do what you need without pain, it really is a small matter.

Incidentally, the 2nd knee seems to have more feeling straight away. It is all round more painful but also has much more range of movement. Who knew???

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Thanks Marilyn! The one thing I've taken away from all the responses that I received is there is no clear forecast of what I might wind up with. Either way it's not something that can be undone now so whatever I get I'm going to have to be happy with .

I hope and believe that this will be one of the best things I've ever done.

Happy holidays!

• Posted

I'm 21+ months...  It goes away?  Really?  When??????

Seriously, even at my stage, there's still a bit of numbness when I touch it and some nerve tingling when I kneel on it.  The "old pros" tell me that it will take some time for that to improve a bit more but I don't think all the nerves severed during the procedure will ever fully return to normal.  You just stop thinking about it.

I use a 4" foam pad indoors and padded tactical knee pads outside if I have to kneel for a while.  I try not to ever kneel on a rock, hard surface.  Can't do any damage...just don't like the sensation.  All the other stuff like burning, itching, tightness, etc. all resolve within 12-18 months...the worst of it in the 6-12 month time frame.  Again, after a while, you just don't notice it and get on with your life.

• Posted

Thanks for the heads up! I'm sure that with time I'll learn to live with it. It doesn't really bother me now, but it would be nice if that numb area would shrink some.

Have a merry Christmas! And thanks for your contributions to this forum the voice of experience is always a welcome sound.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.