Numbness and tingly in my big toes

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I would be happy if I could receive a few opinions from you guys, if you know anything about what I am about to describe..

I will see a doctor about this, but until I get my appointment I would like to investigate a bit.. I am just curious.. sad

Last night I think I barely slept one hour..as I had weird numbness and a bit of tingling in my big toes (especially from my right foot)..What could that be now? I tossed and turned all night...as each time I would position myself on a side..my feet would become numb and with a tingly sensation..mostly in my big toes..

Even now  (as I am standing I just feel a bit tingly in my toes..)

And for a few weeks..if I touch my toes on the exterior part of my feet..up towards my nail..I just dont fully feel my fingers touching my toes..I mean it feels like the surface of my toes have been anesthetized (like how it feels at the dentist..) - and this is more pronounced on my right toe.

.. I am scared by what I read on the internet about these things..

Also I recently started to have a bit of pain and I looked it up on the internet and I found something about hallux valgus..but I dont have remotely a big bone deviation like the photos I have found..it is just a tiny bit and it hurts..

I wonder if because of this my toes are numb..? Might it be connected..?! Ufff..

So I just posted this in the section with Hallux Valgus as I found no "Numb toes".. or anything like that..

I might need to phone the doctor for an appointment regarding this..and that will take so long until I go and then until they find what it is that is causing this..OMG.. sad

I would really appreciate someone that might have an idea,telling me what might be wrong..until I see the doctor. Please.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Geox

I had my op on both feet last August. It sounds like circulation with the blood flow causing the tingly sensation. I had the numbness and a tingling feeling along the scar area when I touched it and my surgeon advised me to keep massaging the area. I'm not sure it that will help you as your symptoms sound rather different but it would be worth a try. Good luck at the docs.

Elaine

Elaine

• Posted

Hi Geox,

I have both feet with toes that are numb, they have been like that for about 4 yrs, they 'burn' you may call it tingling, but I use the word burning, the doctor (surgeon) said the nerves were dead, and after my bunion operation this numbness won't change! So that is what he told me. I have this sensation of say blood running through my feet, it's a weird sensation, hard to describe, but it's like the blood in the veins are going up and down, I have had this for a long time.

I, like yourself, can not 'feel' when I touch the toes compared to the top of my foot, and the surgeon also did that test on me, that was when he explained that the nerve had been damaged.

• Posted

Hello Geox.

First of all, let's get one thing established here and now before we go any further. Hallux Valgus is the medical term for Bunions. And in case your knowledge about bunions is hazy, they are deformities of the great toe ( or, as commonly called the big toe).

Do you have bunions? Have you had or are about to have an operation for bunions/hallux valgus?

I suspect that you don't; and haven't had surgery.

So, if the answer to the two aforementioned questions is 'No' well then you ought to forget about this patient forum and see your Dr.    Numbness and tingly-ness in the toes can be caused by a whole  range of things.

The people who contribute to this Hallux Valgus/ Bunions discussion are, like me, and all people who have either undergone surgery for that problem or are about to have the surgery, or considering whether to have the surgery.

Gillian

• Posted

Gillian

i had a very tiny bump, wouldn't have considered surgery if it wasn't painful. I was told it wasn't a bunion but it was bunion surgery I had, some bone had grown and was on a nerve also had a bone longer than it should be. 

• Posted

I echo  the other comments, sounds unlikely to be related to Bunion. This could be to do with a nerve issue, the cause though could be in many places. I have a numbness and sometimes tingling in my right foot but this was the reult of an issue and operation on my lower back in which the Sciatic nerve was under pressure . I mention this not to say that you have a back issue. I put up with mine, It is worth seeing your Doctor, they can check reflexes etc and decide if further investiagtion needed. These things can also dissapear of their own accord as can be caused bu swelling somewhere putting pressure on nerves.  Good luck but as someone else said it sounds liek you are in the wrong forum.
  • Posted

Hello Geoxx!

I, too, have numbness in great toes. To be specific, mine is on the tip and on the outside of them. There are also some points of numbness in a line from the nailbeds up the top of the foot and into front/side of ankle area, which are swollen. The left has been swollen for several years and my docs weren't worried about it. Now both are swollen midway up lower legs.

The numbness came to light a week ago when I was visiting a hip replacement surgeon for an evaluation on my left hip with avascular necrosis, which is death of head of femur probably due to blood supply being cut off by my daily dose of 5 mg. prednisone and high cholesterol (can't take statins).

His associate noticed the swelling, and noted the history of neuropathy on the intake forms. He unfolded a paper clip and asked me to tell him if he was touching me with either the point or the rounded part. Both felt dull to me. He said I have serious problems, and that I would not be a candidate for hip replacement due to this neuropathy. Insurance guidelines specifically mention this as an exclusion.

I was surprised to know my great toes were numb and that I had numbness further up the legs. They are still numb, and I can't feel sheets on them in bed.

I have had weakness in my legs for about three years. It has been difficult to get up stairs and out of chairs. My neurologist did every test in the book and sent me to Univ. of Miami, Florida for specific EMGs. I had muscle biopsies of thigh and calf in left leg. Nothing yielded a diagnosis!

I have Fibromyalgia of 23 years. Many symptoms have appeared over the years, but numbness had not been one of them, although I had neuropathy pain all over.

I had a bunionectomy on left great toe 37 years ago. there has always been a bit of numbness along the incision line, but nowhere else.

So now I will return to my neurologist for further testing on this new symptom. I suspect that one of my medications for pain, Neurontin, is causing some of it, although the toes are still numb this morning, eight hours after my last dose.

This could be due to many disorders or medications. It was serious enough to disqualify me from hip surgery, so it bears investigation. It's new, obviously not due to old bunionectomy.

I wish you well in your quest for a diagnosis. It could be anything from diabetes to a pinched nerve!

Sincerely, Gainor

• Posted

I too, have recently felt numbness on the upper corner of both big toes. I have also had bunions/calluses on the ball of my big toes from sports. I have also had the habit of cutting my toe nails too short and the nail digs into skin  in an " n " shape. The bunions recently got bigger so I assume it's from that, but can anyone suggest the problem? Many people on this postseem to think it is serious, but I am hoping it is still early for me and I have caught it early. Would filing down the dead skin help? Do I need medical attention? Any help is much appreciated smile
  • Posted

Hi

Numbness and tingling in toes could have so many causes you need a dr diagnosis. Especially if you have any other medical condition like diabetes or cardiovascular disease for example. One possible anatomical cause if it is associated with pain in the forefoot on the underside can be squashed toes from a forming bunion or from a metatarsal issue for which they perform weils osteotomy and tendon release.

Please let us know how you get on

• Posted

I have the same issue the last month or so developed, but I think it may be related to the bunions I have. I'm very interested to hear what your doctor told you the reason for the numbness and tinging is due to?
  • Posted

Hi there.Did you ever figure out what the problem was with your toes.

I have been having the same problem for 2 weeks now and am freaking out.

I have no bunions.Google is crushing me with horrible related causes.

I'm hoping it's just nerve damage but I dunno.

Thanks.

• Posted

Geox

sounds exactly what I had. My bones were straight but I had a tiny bump which was bone on a nerve. I had the bone shaved 10 years ago (recovery was really quick) but I had it redone on Tuesday but they also shortened a bone which was longer than what it was suppose to be so was affecting big toe, could have left it but may have needed a joint replacement later in life. 

I had my left foot done 11 years ago again it was only a tiny bump but so painful when it flared up.

are you in the UK? My GP wouldn't refer me, had private medical insurance but did advise GP I could not believe they would leave in anybody in this much pain. 

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.