Nutrition and Sjoogen's

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi All,

Its me again! I am determined on managing this disease. I want to educate myself on the do's and don'ts as much as possible. I've notice that I get more information from this forum since we understand than from most of the doctors I've been to. I know that everyone's nutritonal needs are different but would love to hear what foods help with sjogrens and which should be avoided. I have looked some up on the net and get confused as to wheather salmon is good or not. I have acid reflux so I have to avoid acidity foods. If anyone can tell me about your daily meal plans especially during flares. Right now i am downing food with mayo and i know if I continue, my cholestrol level will rocket and I will develop heart issues. You all have been so helpful and I feel we can all help each other remain healthy. If you can share some healthy sauce recipes to substitute for the mayo, also main dish and smoothie recipes that work specifically for SS. Even some websites would help. One last question, how long has it taken some of you to feel relief when taking Placquenil and are there other meds if it doesn't work?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Its really individual and mostly trial and error. I too use lots of mayo, gravies etc......but i albs have my cholesterol, sugars etc monitored. (Sometimes you have to "pick your enemy" and make a choice no matter how poor it might feel). You can use applesauce, smashed avocado, hommus etc. Low fat milkshakes with hospital strength Sustagen. Eggs are my friend too. A soft boiled egg or poached eggs can soothe the "i have no idea what to eat" at any time of day! Good luck. You can't beat this beast, just try to manage and live with it as best you can.

• Posted

I agree with the Mediterranean diet, it's a good one.  Fish and seafood is great, but you do need to be careful because of pollution, nowadays  many fish have high levels of mercury.  The safest fish to eat is wild Alaskan king salmon.  You can, and probably should eat other fish, but not overdo it.  Vegetables and fruits are your friends.  If you eat mostly vegetables and fruits, you should see great improvement in your symptoms.  Avoid all processed foods, particularly those which have sugar, salt or some chemical as one of the first 3 ingredients.  If possible, make your foods from scratch and choose the most organic options possible, meaning pesticide free, hormone free, free-range.   These types of foods will give your body the nutrients you need without giving you additives that make your liver and body work harder.  I now eat less meat than I used to, but when I do eat meat, I get the best I can.  Another item that will help heal your body are rich nutritional broths.  They should be "real" broth, made from scratch with chicken bones or beef bones.  Never from a can.  I now see "real" broth being sold in some specialty stores, but I often make my own, cheaper and pretty simple.  You can just drink the broth or make a soup from it.  I eat salads every week (2-3 times--romaine lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bell peppers, shredded carrots, avocado, raw pumpkin seeds with a home made vinaigrette that I have learned to make--topped with canned wild  Alaskan king salmon.  I also used to suffer from acid reflux and it is now a rare occurrence.  You must allow your stomach lining to heal for about 3 months, which means you only put friendly foods into your stomach.  When you start making changes, your body will actually feel like it's getting worse at first, but that is because it is getting rid of toxins that have been stored in your fat.  This usually takes about a week, then you will feel better.  I think the broths and soups should be easy to eat with dry mouth and easy for your stomach to digest.  Make sure you chew your food well because this also takes some of the work load off your stomach.  If you send me a private message, I will be happy to tell you what literature I have found helpful.  At first this was overwhelming to me, but it can just become part of your normal routine.  By the way mayonnaise and gravies are not helpful if they are the processed types, so I've would avoid them.  If homemade, much better for you.  

• Posted

Katalin, you can send me a private message and I can share information with you.  They do not allow titles and specific programs here.  I think it is to keep advertisers away.  I'm not sure, but you can send me a private message with whatever question you have.

• Posted

Try not to stress as fibro loves stress and the symptoms flare up something shocking..I east PALEO there is also a AIP Autoimmune Oriticol...which is great..you will need to Google it as every time I have out the address on here it been moderated and has never been shown...I'm feeling for you Nu2thus..I've had it over 39 years now and have learned how to live with it..usually Chronic Fatigue cones with it also many of us have different other autoimmune dusceeses...hope this has helped..have a lovely day...be blessed ..💐😍

• Posted

Thank you christine26761. I am so grateful for the education and the feeling of hope I am receiving from this forum. Its hard to explain to the people around me how I'm feeling without them looking at me like I have 3 heads. Here everyone understands. I hope that someday in the near future I will not be Nu2this but will be as instrumental to others as everyone is to me. Wow 39 years...good for you! God bless. Will take up yoga to release the stress.

• Posted

You will gets heaps of help and lots of empathy on this site..I have found it amazing and ist only 30 years not 39 ..sorry..my typing...💐💐😘

• Posted

I agree with Christine about the Paleo -- it is good too.  So is the support you will get on this site -- there are many good people here suffering the same problems.  Also, I think Yoga is a great idea! I have found it helpful to me with controlling my stress.
  • Posted

To send a private message..you just click on little envelope icon..that's an email..💐💐😍

• Posted

I try to eat as naturally as possible, I think that the Paleo died has helped me the most, nothing packaged or that come in a tin, diet is so important when you have this disease for a very long time,,but  that is only my opinion here
    • Posted

Agree with you..I don't eat potato-it's a nightshade really... bread, rice or pasta...and anything that is processed..there is plenty of food to replace it..eg: I have cauliflower for rice and pizza bases, I just crumb it up in a food processor....it's .yummy too. I use coconut  everything..Flour, Aminos, vinegar, just  plane old coconut...and the coconut sugar., oil- inside and out- good for everything and anything..We definitely don't want to add any more probs to this horrid one..for sure..this is such a great site..we are from all over the world..I'm in 🇦🇺 Australia-Tasmania...originally from U.K.-1958 long time ago now..I see your in USA..this site keeps me sane when I'm having a bad day..be blessed😘😘😘😘

• Posted

Hi christine26761,

Thank you for the tips. I will stay away from the pasta and potatoes. Bread as well. God bless. Be healthy 😊

• Posted

I agree with Jennifer, it's an individual thing. We all have so many different aspects of Sjogren's that we have to work out what suits us and stick to it. And also cope with the fact that it may change over time! The main thing is to avoid foods that seem to trigger your own symptoms.

I can't see what could be wrong with salmon, as long as it agrees with you. All oily fish is excellent, as it's rich in omega 3 oils, which are good for our joints, skin and connective tissues. And I wouldn't worry too much about cholesterol. The more medical science discovers about cholesterol, the more it emerges that fats - even the saturated kind - aren't the real villains. It's transfats - the kind found in junk foods and commercial bakery products - that are causing the problem. And refined sugar impacts on our cholesterol levels too.

I eat quite a lot of saturated fats, in the form of butter, full-fat cheeses, eggs and some lean red meat, yet I have a low cholesterol ratio, probably because I mainly eat home-cooked food (except for when I eat out in a restaurant) with plenty of green vegetables, oily fish and some fruit, and very little in the way of refined sugars or carbs. (If you live in the UK, you won't know about the cholesterol ratio, but you can google it if you're interested.)

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about what you're eating. There's no magic diet for SS. Some people go vegan, some swear by paleo, others avoid gluten, dairy, all kinds of things. The only thing you really need to avoid is junk food, except as an occasional treat. Apart from that, try to identify and then avoid the foods that trigger your symptoms.

• Posted

Thanks lily65668. Much appreciate your advice especially when it comes to the salmon.
    • Posted

I just want to be clear about the salmon.  It is an excellent source of omega 3 oils.  However, because of contamination in the ocean, certain fish are better than others.  Fish with shorter life spans are better because they don't accumulate as much mercury.  A "wild " Alaskan king salmon is now considered the healthiest because it's the least likely to have high levels of mercury and had good fats.  Other fish with short lifecycles can be good alternatives in terms of fat content, so--lower contamination risk and higher nutritional value.  Usually the closer to the bottom of the food chain the fish is, the less contamination it will have accumulated. This includes:

Sardines, Anchovies, Herring.  I have read that if you still want to eat fish with questionable mercury levels, that you can take certain supplements that help eliminate the mercury before your body absorbs it, but I don't have details, since I have never used it myself.  I just wanted to share what I know.  Also wild is better than farmed, but it can be difficult to know since companies don't have to label the farmed fish as"farmed.".   Hope this helps.  You can check out the internet, and just know that big companies try to hide this information because they can make big profits selling farmed fish.  If you have a naturopath they will likely tell you which fish are best to eat.  

• Posted

This information is helpful. I've been looking at the labels. I've been puchasing 'wild caught' just because it seems safer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.