Obese and high blood pressure...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 30, a mum of two, and my blood pressure is consistently 118/90, I weigh 18 stone. My dad died of heart failure and had high blood pressure in his life. He was also overweight, but I am more so. I still seem completely unwilling to change my lifestyle to help my health, and I cannot figure out why I can't just get my act together, for my children at least. I feel so selfish, and scared, I don't want to die before I've lived, not by my own hand.

I get so confused by all the health information. BHF says low fat, nutritionists say fat is good (coconut oil, avocados, seeds, nuts etc.). It's all so contradictory that I just end up doing nothing because my head goes round and round not knowing what information I should follow. I try and go to slimming classes, but as soon as I am unprepared with my food I go off the rails because I can't stick to it 100%.

I don't know how to change. Help?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

As a thirty year old average sized woman, you are nearly ten stones overweight. That's a stone gained for every year since you were twenty. That hasn't happened because you are eating too many seeds, nuts and avocados, it's happened because of all the other junk stuff you're eating on a regular basis. As for "not knowing how to change", of course you do, you just don't want to change badly enough yet. 

You've got through the first stage by admitting that you're overweight. You have now got to take responsibility for your size and realize that only you can change it. The advice is straight forward. Eat chicken, rice, pasta and fish dishes with fresh vegetables or salads where appropriate. Eat plenty of fruit and drink plenty of fluids and get more exercise. Don't do any silly crash diets, and don't starve yourself or when things get tough you will resort to your previous bad eating habits. What normally gives people an incentive to alter their bad habits is a nasty shock, like a smoker getting lung cancer or an obese person having a stroke or heart attack. It would certainly jolt me to my senses but sadly it doesn't do it for everyone. Unfortunately the eating habits of parents also reflect badly on the size and health of their children. If this is the case with you, then change for their sake, if not your own.

Start now! Get out of the house. Do some walking. Keep active, you're only thirty. 

Sorry to be so blunt and hard but sympathetic words wont help you.

Best of luck... Alex

• Posted

I totally understand!

I'm now in my 40's over 17 st and have yo-yo'd since my twenties ... Not been under 12 st since!!! Having been 9 or 10 before!

My dad died at 63 , do you'd think I'd know ???!!!

I lost 4 st last yr on lighterlife but put 3 back on - so I'm going for a bypass in sept

Try lighterlife - it may kick start your journey ?xxx

Keep in touch

• Posted

Just curious to know why you recommend Lighterlife to someone when it clearly didn't work for you. She seems to have the same lack of commitment that probably failed you so why expect a different outcome? All diets will work but only if you stick to them. That's where all these fad diets fail. The only way to do it is to eat regularly and sensibly and cut out all the rubbish foods and snacks. That's the way the whole family can benefit. 
    • Posted

It does work if you stick to it , it may work for her , my friend lost 9 st her husband 4 st - 3 years on they have maintained the weightloss -

I was suggesting it as It's worth a try ?

I have no excuse why I can't stick to it ...

• Posted

Hi

weight is and can be a very complex issue and not only about food - we eat for comfort and sometimes deep psychological reasons unless explored we are not conscious of. Controversial research is now proving there is a fat gene and can be passed down in Dna.

try speaking with a nutritionalist/ doctor and explore reasons as to why you overeat - see if you can gain support, guidance and encouragement from professional bodies - let them help you to gain back your control.

remember you can do this!

good luck

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.