Obsessing About Symptoms

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm looking for some tips or advice regarding the physical symptoms I'm experiencing and how to stop obsessively worrying about them....like so many of you, I suffer from dizziness/"fuzzy head", muscle aches, headaches, palpitations, shakiness, anxiety, feeling as though my muscles are weak, irregular periods.....I just can't seem to stop thinking about them and worrying that I've got some horrible disease. I practice deep breathing and mindfulness exercises, I've been getting out and going for long walks every day (even when I feel lousy), I listen to Dr Claire Weekes on audiobook, I see a therapist, I take supplements....all good, right? But I still wake up every morning terrified that I've got MS or ALS or a brain tumour or I'm having a stroke or I have some other horrific disease.....and then I start getting (more) anxious which makes the symptoms worse....I dread getting into the shower because I almost always feel dizzy and shaky when I'm showering, and I no longer look forward to going to work (but I'm terrified to stay home alone).

I feel as though I'm having a nervous breakdown....it's just so frustrating and exhausting to feel this way every day. 

I'm not the only one feeling this way...am I? How do the rest of you manage?

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Weary

lets start with how long you have been in peri ?

and what supps and vits do you take currently ? 

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay....I suspect I've been in peri for close to two years....tough to pinpoint exactly, but that's when things started to get wonky. I take B6, B12, a multivitamin with iron, and calcium (with Vitamin D and magnesium).
    • Posted

hI weary

okay ... well the vits you take are the good ones.. continue those and make sure you never miss a day of taking them ..

i take all these .. 150mg of B6 i take..

b12 must be the strong one ie: 5000mcg to be effecfive in peri

what about also taking Menapol Plus x daily 

simply supplements site...  

i take that too..

maybe its your mind set as your thinking the worst and its not the worst its simply peri menopause..

are you periods regular?

mine reduced each year... from say 12 normal then next year had 10, next year 7 etc etc last year 2013 i had two and this year 2014 i had none 

Jay xx

• Posted

My periods have been irregular for the least eight months or so....I've skipped a few months and just today (thank goodness) finished a very long period...maybe the end is in sight 😊
    • Posted

Hi weary

no the end wont quite be in sight yet honey..

your periods diminish over the years ... keeping a diary helps ... i have 10 years of peri diarys ... charts and I can see how mine dropped each year..

when you get down to two periods a year then the end may be in sight 

Jay xx

• Posted

Ugh....well, I suppose the only way through it is through it, so I'll soldier on 😊
    • Posted

wearykitty, you and I sound like we are in about that same point of peri. Mine have been irregular as well for about 10 months now. I didn't really have any real symptoms until April. I hate to think I make have a couple more years of this. I'm going to be 52 next month so I don't see it lasting 10 years. I'm praying it goes by quickly, tired of it already!
  • Posted

Hi weary..

i just read your post again..

first, you must relax hun..

think .... i am a woman and I am going through the change of life, which is a natural process and all ladies have to face it..

the soon as you accept that you will be able to deal with it..

the way you feel is quite normal and its the flucutating hormones ... we all feel this way and secondly you are not alone..

i am age 50 and been in peri for 10 years, and for all these 10 years I have done alot of research and tried and tested many supplements, and experienced many many symptoms ... so if I can help you I will with pleasure ..

I am now almost one year no periods and my menopause is reached this was told to me by my lovely Gyno doc on Monday who showed me my ovaries on a screen as non functioning no follicles..

if you can just try and accept and tell yourself that its normal and the phase can be tough at times then you will cope much better..

take each day at a time, i can tell you that dwelling on it makes it worse, you must do your normal things, if you feel less able then just do what you can, relax aswell and take each day at a time..

be kind to yourself and share your experience with others around who you feel close too a sense of humour helps 

it does get better ..

Jay xx

• Posted

Thanks, Jay....I do appreciate your kind and wise words. I think the worst part of this for me has been losing the person I was....I hate that I feel so scared all the time, and that I'm not the strong, independent woman I used to be....I honestly don't recognize myself anymore. I do (at least in some part of my brain) understand that this will pass and that it's not some horrible disease, but I guess I'm just impatient to be myself again....I wish there was a magic cure for all of this!! 
    • Posted

Hi weary

i totally understand.. but you have to acccept it as its not over in a short period of time ... look at mine 10 years.. and... still have to take all the supps etc and still feel different, still get a blip.  so even after you will not feel like you did as a younger woman..

but you will feel proud of yourself for getting through it and feel liberated and look at life in a different light, and be kinder to yourself and let your body rest when it cries out to relax and take each day at a time..

but... dont dwell and lose life .. as these years are your life and to still be enjoyed ... so do what you can and be kind to yourself.. and dont forget to go with the flow and also enjoy it..

jay xx 

• Posted

Wise words indeed, Jay....I really appreciate the support!
  • Posted

Hi

Well you sound just like me!  You need to talk to Jay she is one wonderful person.  She has helped me put things into perspective!  I'm not saying it get's better overnight far from it! but reading the messages and having a reason for these debilitating symptons helps so much because your not alone!   I have no energy I am my husbands carer but he does more for me than I do for him!!  I have had councelling, I wake up screaming thinking I'm dying! Horrendous feelings that scare the living daylights out of me!!!

Talking to Jay and it's only been a week, has helped me more than any counellor

Then I spoke to Jay and lots of advice and help has helped me more than any councellor!  Vitamin B6-B12 here I come!! Take care!!

• Posted

Hi Kitty. I posted my first comment on this thread this morning so I'm new to this forum but there are some very helpful comments on here. Like you, I've been obsessing about my health, convinced I'm going to die. Having had many tests, all of which were fine, I'm now putting it all down to menopause and looking forward to when it passes in a few years time. It's funny. We're not supposed to want to get older but I can't wait for my 50s! I think we just have to accept that it's now a part of our lives and cope as best we can. I've joined other forums that were anxiety related but I found I lost interest in them because there were people posting with a huge range of anxieties. I find I'm more interested in this forum because it is menopause related and so shall keep in touch on here, because we all seem to be going through a similar thing and that's comforting. As for supplements or HRT, I don't think there's a quick fix. It seems they affect different people in different ways. You just have to find what works best for you. Why don't you sit down in the shower, if you have a hand held shower that is? Or try having a bath at night, rather than a shower. I would suggest you do try and get out as much as you can, even if it is just to go to work. You don't want to find yourself isolated. Stay positive x
    • Posted

Hi Lara

well said... keep occupied always..

set your self little tasks and do it..

keep busy, dont dwell and crack on..

still groan as we are allowed to its menopause 😀 try and make light hearted of it and a sense of humour helps, it wont go away so we have to deal with it 

Jay xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.