Obsessing About Symptoms

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm looking for some tips or advice regarding the physical symptoms I'm experiencing and how to stop obsessively worrying about them....like so many of you, I suffer from dizziness/"fuzzy head", muscle aches, headaches, palpitations, shakiness, anxiety, feeling as though my muscles are weak, irregular periods.....I just can't seem to stop thinking about them and worrying that I've got some horrible disease. I practice deep breathing and mindfulness exercises, I've been getting out and going for long walks every day (even when I feel lousy), I listen to Dr Claire Weekes on audiobook, I see a therapist, I take supplements....all good, right? But I still wake up every morning terrified that I've got MS or ALS or a brain tumour or I'm having a stroke or I have some other horrific disease.....and then I start getting (more) anxious which makes the symptoms worse....I dread getting into the shower because I almost always feel dizzy and shaky when I'm showering, and I no longer look forward to going to work (but I'm terrified to stay home alone).

I feel as though I'm having a nervous breakdown....it's just so frustrating and exhausting to feel this way every day. 

I'm not the only one feeling this way...am I? How do the rest of you manage?

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I really feel for you, it's just horrible.  I can't tell you how many times I've scanned the internet thinking I have some awful disease, it eats away at you and even when you think you know you're being silly something compels you to go researching the next ache and pain! :-( just keep your head busy, if you feel dizzy acknowledge it and let it pass.  I talk to myself like having a mini debate in my head and once I can explain it away I'm ok again.  Like Jay said (& she's wonderful) it's a normal process for us ladies even though it's not the nicest xx
    • Posted

I've woken up this morning with a sore neck and am convinced I have motor neurones disease. Have been obsessing about this for quite some time as have other symptoms such as muscle twitching but the doc did a strength test 2 years ago and didn't think it was MND. Quite frankly, I don't want to know if I have MND until I absolutely have to because that is a dreadful way to die. For now, I'll keep trying to convince myself that all my symptoms are due to the peri menopause.
    • Posted

This is most probably your anxiety kicking in, I wake with a neck ache every day :-( unless you are struggling with grip or tripping over etc then try not to worry.  Muscle twitching can happen through anxiety too many a time I've seen my leg or tongue do it, even dehydration can.
    • Posted

Thank you. I have been a professional typist for over 30 years and the doc said she thought it was carpal tunnel, not MND. I'm not struggling with grip or falling over but I have found I drop things sometimes. If I think about gripping something, even if it's heavy, I can grip it fine but I find sometimes I drop things if I pick them up without thinking. I've had tension in my shoulders and neck for as long as I can remember and this morning, one side of my neck hurts more than the other, re-affirming my MND obsession. Yesterday, after joining this discussion, I had managed to convince myself that all my symptoms were due to peri meno but the neck thing has again heightened my fears this morning. I've been trying to avoid anxiety meds but perhaps I do need some.
    • Posted

Oh Lara 

please dont think that.. I have nursed motor nuerone disease...

its a muscle wasting disease ... my patient started in early MN by not being able to grip the bannister... thats when he knew something was off.. he would grab the bannister but not actually manage to get it in his reach.. this kicked in after a very very nasty car accident ... coincidental we dont know,

it will not be that hun... stop scaring yourself ... if you learn to relax and accept it is peri the better you will feel..

i will be peri symtoms .. there are so many along the way all different .. 

see the heading on here 66 peri symptoms and reassure yourself ..

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Lara

i too wake with stiff neck and shoulders had it years and learned to ignore it, a gentle movement of neck and shoulders when getting up is helpful..

mind you I do have a fight with my pillows before going to sleep as never feel comfy ..

as for grip... listen to this .. its not just you..

yesterday.. I had a grip issue day ...

i dropped a mug .. smash... thought oh well... 

then went to fridge and was pulling pepsi light cans out those plastic can holders for 6 or 8 packs, dropped a can.. it landed on the tiles and burst open, sprayed everywhere 😃 hahaha i had to smile.. the dog did a runner ..

it was all round the kitchen, even on the ceiling... ' holy crap'

ladders out, cloth out, mop out... 😮

so please chill even me after 10 years of it, and many symptoms later natural route, we still get a blip day... I am fine today... and so will you be..

Jay xx 

• Posted

Lara

re: carpal tunnel ...

we have a friend who just had his carpal tunnel op.. his was down to playimg golf nearly every day ... 

what i will say is B6 good for peri .. and also used for Carpal tunnel syndrome..

but you need at least 150mg B6 a day..

dont know if you take it yet.. but it could help for both ..

Jay xx

• Posted

Thanks so much for all your advice, Jay. Yes, I will check the 66 symptoms on here. I found a site called '39 symptoms of peri' so am interested to learn about other symptoms as well.  I know I'm being crazy and I feel like I'm insulting real MND sufferers by fretting over what is (hopefully) nothing more than peri. Usually, I am loaded with common sense but I know I'm being irrational over this. I will go and get some B6 this weekend. I'll let you know if it helps, which I'm sure it will. My mother used to talk about its benefits. Thanks again xxxx
    • Posted

Please do not feel you are insulting anyone, our symptoms and fears are a very individual thing. As to being irrational only if you think you are, and a symptom of peri/menopause as far as I know
    • Posted

Hi Lara

on the 66 list I posted on here this site ... (check the headings and discussions section..) to find it

it mentions stiff neck, joints, and carpal tunnel syndrome..

try and relax and say to yourself another lady symptom due to only declining hormones ( oestrogen) . all us ladies have them, your not alone...  take it in your stride hun, be kind to yourself...

dont dwell... it makes you tense, anxious and it all feels worse..

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Lara

dont worry hun... no one thinks your being insulting at all..

we all here to support each other.. and talk openly about our fears..

we just trying to help you ... 😀 be strong sweetie .. relax abit, relaxing eases the symptoms ...  try not to worry .... 

hugs Jay xx

• Posted

Try some reflexology it will help you relax.  I have it every 6-8 weeks and I so look forward to it.  I drop things too....anxiety is a horrible thing, I've had anxiety attacks for the last 30 years....not nice xx
  • Posted

Hi Wearykitty, 

i like you had a bad experience with an antidepressant, only took one and swore never to go there again!  But when I was in breakdown I just wanted to stop the anxiety so I am now on Citalopram 20mg my work colleague is also taking it but they were prescibed purely for her servere hot flushes.  I haven't had any side effects from them and have been on them now for 10 weeks.  What I have also found really helpful is the Headspace app on my smart phone for mindful exercises, I'm an over thinker and I use the app daily, essential before I go to sleep.

Take care, we're all here for you xx

• Posted

Hi Susan

I am an over thinker, never switch brain off, doesnt help the insomnia 😥

thanks for sharing the app... i will take a look 

Jay xx

• Posted

I am well stressing at the moment due to something else so will take a look as well. Thanks for the heads up
    • Posted

Hi Taz

oh hun... Try not to stress ... Take a deep breath Taz 

Jay xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.