Obsessive??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Apart from my many anxiety symptoms, I am obsessive with taking my blood pressure and following my heart rate on an phone app. Has anyone else experienced this. I do this many many times in the day.

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was obsessed with checking my heart rate and blood pressure after I had pre eclampsia during my pregnancy and for 6 weeks after I was on medication for the high bp caused by this condition and was terrified I would have an eclamptic seizure and die.

My bp returned to normal and I was off the tablets 8 weeks after the birth but for about a year afterwards I was constantly checking it.

I had CBT for health anxiety and it really helped me. Part of it was focused on reducing the checking behaviours.

What I had to do was set a goal so for example- I will only check my bp at the Drs surgery or twice a year.

Now when you start this goal seems unattainable but you set yourself interim goals in a stepwise manner.

For eg- I will only check my bp once a day then when you are comfortable with that you move onto your next goal eg 4 times a week etc

This used in combination with other CBT techniques mean I no longer check my bp and heart rate and I was obsessed I would check it multiple times over and over I have a naturally highish resting heart rate so that scared me plus obviously heart rate is going to go up when an anxious person is focused on it!

If you haven't already please see your GP or find the details of your nearest IAPT to refer yourself for CBT the waiting list can be long so best to do it soon.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi M it from myself I guesichelle,

Great advice, thank you

I take both so often because whenever I am feeling weird from other anxiety symptoms, I immed. check HR and BP thinking it has to do with that. My husband wants to throe the machine out!!!! Cannot hide it from myself I guess.

I really want to stop this craziness.It is just fuling the fire.

Thank you for your reply. I will really work on this

• Posted

Hi,

Is the phone app even accurate?

• Posted

no. My guess its a ballpark. You need a cuff 
    • Posted

I would never use it as a real guide. I never used it all. She is funny though she finds interesting stuff. I will say that. 
  • Posted

Yes, I do that when my anxiety gets bad and have heart palpitations. Plus my bp tends to run low. My app only tests heart rate. Do you have one that does bp too?
  • Posted

What's the app that checks both bp and heart rate
    • Posted

Hi there,

The app only checks HR, but also has a ecg type tracker that shows whether your beats are steady. I can always see when I am having a palpatation.(Well of course I feel it too) 

• Posted

Does your doctor say that it's accurate?
    • Posted

I have never discussed it with him
    • Posted

several of those apps do not work.

can you ask your doctor?

• Posted

i know its an anxiety but you are funny. 😀You are finding all these apps. cool apps though one day very soon they will sell some home portable medical device to do all this and then send to your doctor. We will all own this im sure. Please these apps are ballparks at best you realize that right? I have never seen an ecg one. Thats just cool.
    • Posted

This whole forum will be in search of these apps now hahahahaha. They arent really accurate, be careful. They will have ones that are within the next decade thats im sure. 
    • Posted

thank you!

If you need anything in the meantime, post on here or feel free to send me a PM.

you are not alone and you can beat this.

Good luck and all the best! smile

• Posted

What's the name of the app? I use one, but it doesn't do that.
    • Posted

Good morning.Hope WE have a good day. Actually when I was at my cardiologist I showed him the app his reply was. Oh you should get this app....and he pulls out his phone. It is a true ECG.....just want i need
    • Posted

Good morning.  Hope we all have a good day too. Love good days. That is very cool! 😀 You are good at finding these apps. Especially if the cardiologist has the same one on his phone.  Does it save the result to give to a doctor, what happens if you dont know how to read the waves?  I guess with all this technology we can all just hook in to these apps and get the whole vitals things going. 
    • Posted

did he approve of the app you were using?
    • Posted

Hey,

My app is more of an HR monitor, but the cardiologists is a full blown ecg and yes it can be sent to your doctors. I would go crazy if I had something like that. To much information

• Posted

Are there several different kinds? I found some different ones that say heart rate. The one I have right now is Argus by Azumo.
    • Posted

It is a circle that shows 85 with a heart. There is a blue strip in a circle that starts on the left side but does not complete the circle. It is also free. Let me know if you found it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.