Obsessive Compulsive Questionning - and CBT - Can anyone relate???

Posted , 23 users are following.

I am desperately trying to find people who can relate to my problem. It is so hard and I am beginning to feel I may be alone with this. I have found a few blogs where people are experiencing very similar issues but still very different at the same time.

Let me tell you a little about my problem. It is so hard to explain so please bear with me.

Basically to cut a long story short before I go into more detail, I ask my partner a million questions a day. The types of questions vary but are often along the same lines and are mostly to do with how he feels about me and how he has felt about people in previous relationships. Most of the time the questions I ask are very personal and I think the majority of other people wouldn’t dare.  I have listed some examples below, some worse and more personal than others. Reading them you may think “my god she’s a nutter, how does she dare ask him these things” but the thing is, I don’t know. I get this overwhelming feeling when a thought/question comes to mind and just NEED to know. I feel hot, sick, sweaty and panicky as soon as I think of the question. I don’t know where they come from or why, all I know is that it takes over my life and ruins all the relationships I have ever had L …

-          Were you more affectionate with her

-          Is she better in bed than me (I always ask for more detail, but I won’t specify on here)

-          Have you ever kissed other people the way you kiss me

-          Have you done that before with other people

-          Do you still love me

-          Were her boobs better than mine (mine are tiny)

-          Are mine better out of a bra, if hers are better in the bra (more cleavage)

The list goes on and on and on. If you asked me any question now, I will have most likely asked my partner it a million times.

The thing is, it’s not just the amount and type of questions I ask, it’s the way I ask them as well. I will have the answer (whether it’s one I wanted or not) yet I will still have to ask again. I will have to gain even more reassurance by asking him to swear on my life and promise with ‘no crosses included’. Yes I know this is ridiculous but I don’t feel satisfied with the answer if I don’t do this, and just worry that he may be lying to me to make me feel better with the answer. I still need this reassurance even now when he gives me it each time, and I have never caught him lying. It takes a lot to get something out of my head, and most of the time a few weeks/months later I will ask the same things again to see if he was telling the truth to begin with or if I have forgotten the answer he has already given me.

At the very beginning of our relationship, I would never ask anything, and I wouldn’t really feel the need to. It’s only when I become more comfortable with my partner that the questioning and worry begins and gradually gets worse and worse until there is just no stopping it.

There was one time, when for a few weeks I was asking things from the minute we woke up to the minute we went to sleep the same night. Then it would happen the next day etc etc… Even when we left each other to go to work I would be asking via text and staring at my phone until I had the reply. Or I would ask via email or even ring him. There were numerous occasions where I would call him when I got out of bed to ask him the questions that first came to mind that morning (he starts work before me). I would call him at lunch to ask more, and I would call him on the way home from work to ask even more. Then it would carry on until we went to sleep. As you can imagine it caused a lot of arguments between us at this point, and we nearly broke up. Luckily my partner is very understanding and caring and most of the time he is there for me however hard it is to cope with. Just lately though his tolerance has started to decrease and he can’t cope with even little questions as much as he could before. I am so scared and worried that he will leave me if I don’t stop the questioning altogether. I don’t even know why I NEED to know these things as much as I do. if I am asking questions about how much better at a certain thing or how much better I am in a certain way than other people he has been with then I know I am asking because I desperately want to make sure I’m better. I don’t even know why this is important to me, because none of what I ask is important to him. It only ever happens between me and partners; I never feel the need to ask questions with anyone else such as friends or family.

I have read blogs where people are explaining their OCD with questions and they tend to ask a lot of questions that don’t have meaning. For example, they would ask why they have watched that TV programme, what happened on it, what time it was on, how long it was on for, what channel it was on etc. And they feel the need to do this just as much as I do with my more meaningful questions. They say they cannot control it, just like I can’t. It kind of feels like there is someone burrowing in my brain coming out at random times forcing me to have intrusive thoughts which I then need to ask a question about. This burrowing person is making me feel sick and sweaty when the thought first pops in, and I feel relief after asking the question. Then it comes back again with something different. I will usually ask approximately 3 questions about the same thing to gain even more clarification.

When I say my questions are meaningful, what I mean is that I ask because I believe the answer means something to me, for example if my partner has done something with his previous girlfriend as well as myself, it may mean he had as much fun with her, or was as close to her as me. Stupid eh? And I know it is, yet I still can’t change, no matter what I do.

I have attended 9 sessions of high intensity CBT therapy, however it hasn’t helped all that much. I feel I have slightly more control over it than I did a few months ago when the questioning was nonstop, but it’s still daily. It’s still more than once per day too and I can’t remember the last time I went a full day without asking him something.

I am also on a 40mg dose of Citalopram (antidepressants) which does work. When I have missed a few I can most definitely tell. My questions become more frequent and I find it a lot harder to control it or cope with the feelings. I have also been thinking about requesting an even higher dose as I have become so desperate to sort myself out. I have even enquired about CBT hypnotherapy. I am willing to try EVERYTHING and ANYTHING.

Can anyone at all relate to this? Like I previously stated, I cannot seem to find anyone going through the same problem. If there is anybody out there that feels the same way and is struggling as much as me, please get in touch. We should create a group where we can all help each other through this, and motivate one another to become more stable and secure. I know I could really do with chatting to someone who really understands and doesn’t just think they do. No one I tell seems to really know what I mean. I think it’s one of those things that if you haven’t personally experienced it you don’t fully understand just how hard it is to cope with and how bad it makes you feel. I would love to be able to talk to someone in the same position and help each other as much as possible. Thanks for listening J and I hope to find someone out there soon who can relate …..

Nicci XxX

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sorry I didn't respond sooner I'm in the united states so our time zones are different.

Umm seriously with you wittnessing a divorce with your parents at such a young age would have everything to do with this. If you felt at all that the divorce was your fault or that you heard things from either of them in reference to not being good enough, this will embed in your mind and it keeps playing like an old record.

You very well do feel good about yourself and thats great! But our subconscious

is a POWERFUL thing. You may think your ok and may act ok but your words say your not ok with yourself. I am all about speaking positive words. By speaking them outloud you can't let the mind go into deep thought. Tell yourself OUTLOUD I'm all He needs. You will beging to reprogram your mind by doing so even if it takes saying it to yourself several times a day. Counciling wouldn't be a bad idea but I think if you start doing what I said you will see a change. Hope this helps 

• Posted

Thankyou smile i will try that. At the moment what i do it put all my thoughts into an imaginary box. I tie up the box and decorate it too if i need. That tends to take the heat out of the fire. I just want to be normal and this to stop runing and ruling my life. I have lost so many people because of it sad. I will try your way. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi Nicci.  It looks like there's lots of great advice on this page.  I definitely think that some form of councelling or therapy would be good.  It gives you the chance to talk through all your worries with someone who can help and who should have some ideas about what to do to start improving things.  CBT sounds great for you and I don't know if would help but you could also look at Mindfulness.  That teaches you to bring your thoughts back to the moment you're in rather than worrying about the past or future.  It also teaches you how to watch your thoughts drift past without engaging with them. Either way, at least you know that your questionning is an issue and it sounds like you've already done well to find CBT and medication.  Just keep on trying other things until you find what works for you.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply smile i have been trying to engage in mindfullness also, i just dont seem t be strong enough to keep it going and even start most of the time. The thoughts take over everything.. I will definitly try though and i think i will seek couselling. Even if it doesnt help me improve, hopefully i might find out why im like this which i think will be a massive stepping stone for me and motivation...xx
  • Posted

I have similar to that always asking if she loves meworried all time what she thinks i think she's better off without me jealose till makes me sick even from nothing a lot more I worry where she is has she met or will she no matter how many times she says we OK alls good I worry strange
    • Posted

Yep its horrible. I came to the conclusion that i have kiw self esteem. Subconsciously though as i have always been confident, outgoing, happy with myself etc. I never thought i may be lacking self esteem but it makes sense as i am always having to compare my self to other to make sure im better or at least just as good in a hell of a lot of aspects. I think subconsciously i feel inferior to others and this is why i have to ask to make sure and reassure myself that my subconscious lack of self esteem is in fact wrong.xxx
    • Posted

Sorry that should say 'low' self esteem...xxx

• Posted

I am glad niccik that I found this website. It helps me understand my past behaviors and teaches me that I am not by myself.
  • Posted

Niccik try living waters uk. They have a taster day in February 2017. Which I went to in 2016 and found very very helpful and healing so I followed it up with their 2 months/once a week course. It goes deep down and back to your earliest moments of life and before.
  • Posted

Hi Niccik! I have been recently started to look about this, I have the same problem and every question I have goes from being general to detail. Not only about boyfriends she had but also about how was she acting if she flirted with someone on the past for example: have you ever done this to flirt with a guy!, did you do this in bed like we did. Most of them are related with her having an experience like the one she had or have with me or another experience we might did not have. Also things like with whom you kissed not not being your boyfriend or just for one nights and things like that! And when she replies I asked to swear and 3 times the same question in a different way just to see if she misunderstood. Agree with the group!!!
    • Posted

Hi Dtalamas.

I cant believe how alike we are. I ask all of that too. The experience with me has to be better than in the past or my mind will go into overdrive. Its so strange.. And once i ask one thing, it will lead to more. I too ask the same things in different ways as i'm scared he hasn't understood properly what i'm asking. I think its so that i know i have a valid answer. Things havent got any better. Have they for you? 

• Posted

Ok this sounds like me. All lol me that its terrifying. I thought I was literally the only person walking this planet with this problem. I see this was posted years ago. Has it gotten better. I need help and avice as well. It ruins all my relationships
    • Posted

Hi angela.

Nothing has got better in the last 4 years. Worse probably. Im with someone new but the questioning is still there to haunt me. Nothing else has changed. I have had more CBT. Didn't work. I have been referred to a different mental health team who should be ringing me this week. Hopefully.

How are things with you?

• Posted

i have exactly the same thing, it is so terrifying .

how are you now?

did something help for you?

i would love to get in contact

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.