Obtsruction at bladder neck

Posted , 18 users are following.

Would a cat scan be the best way to determine if there is obstruction at the bladder neck?

Thanks.

Rich

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

A FLEXIBLE cystoscopy is the best way but make sure he uses a flexible and NOT a rigid cystoscope. It is fast and easy and you may get to watch the trip in and out along with the uro.

• Posted

I agree with those who voted for a flexible (vs. rigid, which will make you bleeding for a few days) CYSTOSCOPY. It takes only few minutes, uses local numbing of the urethra, doesn't introduce infection but allows you and your Uro to see in a full color on a big monitor your urethra, bladder, and bladder neck. Any changes in the bladder wall can be detected during the Cystoscopy. It brings much more information than CT or MRI scan, except for prostate cancer or volume(which shouldn't not prostrate you 😃).

According to one recent study, X-ray CT scan is more accurate in determination of prostate volume, but 3T MRI with a contrast is much better in PC diagnostic, albeit expensive.

Good urography CT scan bares an exposure to 10 mSv of radiation to the entire abdomen (similar to 5 years dose of natural exposure to all sources of radiation). I don't think that CT scan (around $300-400) or 3T MRI, which is according to some sources cost $1200 out of pocket in S-F is much cheaper than in office cystoscopy for your insurance, unless it's an HMO, which doesn't pay much to your doctor anyway.

• Posted

Why do you think a flexible cysto won't give you and infection? Its a foreign object going the wrong way on a one way street. If its not cleaned well or handled poorly you could get an infection.

• Edited

A flexible cystoscopy is not invasive at all. Also the doctor can image your bladder wall and check for any early signs of bladder cancer. It is not something to fear but rather be grateful for this technology. The whole process takes less than one minute and you feel nothing at all.

• Posted

Not true in my case - although I'm sure others have had better experiences.

• Posted

"you feel nothing at all" - wow - when I had one it was incredibly painful!

• Posted

The first one I had, the nurse injected some lidocain to numb it, it was uncomfortable but not painful. It was painful to pee for a couple of days after. The next two the doctor didn't use anything to numb it, just a little lube and I think they went sparingly on the lube. They both hurt quite a bit.

• Edited

The worse part for me was urethra "trauma" because the nurse kind of jammed it in and yanked it out (much too quickly). I would have been much more slow and gentle. They are in a hurry and think that because it is numbed it doesn't matter - but that doesn't prevent damage.

• Posted

richpe ,Thats a good question. I would like to know that also. You could ask your urologist that question.

I believe a MRI would tell that answer.

Frank,

• Posted

I have a similar situation with an obstruction near the bladder. I did a normal cytoscopy and was told that an MRI would not show anything. I want aware if it was flexible or not but there was no camera with it. The camera with the scope sounds like the best alternative.

• Posted

That's not true. My MRI urography with contrast clearly demonstrated partial obstruction of the bladder neck, which is probably gone after successful PAE. Didn't have any imaging 14 months after PAE. Doctors say there are no clinical reasons for imaging. Most problems solved for the time being. It might come back, though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.