OCD/intrusive thoughts

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone have OCD/intrusive thoughts and celexa helped? I'm thinking I have ocd from PTSD and they gave me cit but I might need a different med. I was on prozac before which I should have never stopped taking because it took it away but last time I tried to go back on it I had awful side effects.

0 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I just started celexa last night for the same thing. the dr and counselor swears itll help so I hope so!
    • Posted

I think I read your post earlier. I had it last year after miscarriage at 5 and 1/2 months and was put on prozac. It worked amazing. It took the thoughts away and I went off it 2 months later so I could become pregnant again. I once again had a miscarriage in June. I have been fine then a traumatic death in the family happened a couple weeks ago. In the blink of a eye last week my world came crashing back down. I'm so upset and just feel like crying. I just want the thoughts gone again. 
  • Posted

my thoughts came out of nowhere in September and caused a panic attack. it was awful. I went to a naturopathic dr because I was trying to avoid antidepressants and she gave me lavender oil pills and a cortisone manager. I took it for a week and was soooooo much better. but that put me back to my "normal" anxious self and now I'm getting help for that. I still get these intrusive thoughts and I kinda learned to ignore them but I just want to not have them at all. they made and still make me feel guilty for even thinking them. because it's thoughts I never would imagine having. but I was so scared and still worry that I'm this evil person all of a sudden. I pray we both get relief and soon. preferably with no side effects!
    • Posted

Amen to that girl! I hate them also and just pray this med takes them away because it's ruining my life. I'm obsessing over them sad I even feel like I'm pushing my daughter away because I'm scared. 
  • Posted

I felt the same way about my daughter too. made me feel even more guilty. I'm a Google addict. I google everything. so just know that after all my research I found that if the thoughts we have scare or repulse us then that's a good thing. because that means it's anxiety thinking those thoughts not our normal selves. 
    • Posted

That's such a relief. Did they mention that it might be OCD to you? I'm just wondering? I've had a couple of harming myself but I would never do that and don't know why they keep popping in my mind. My biological father committed suicide but I wasn't raised by him or ever around him. I guess maybe thinking about it. 
    • Posted

I actually came up with ocd diagnosis myself. doctor agreed. said ocd was an anxiety disorder. Before this i always thought ocd meant being a clean freak. 
    • Posted

Are your thoughts bad like that too, or am I awful sad yes I self diagnosed also. That's why I'm worried Cit won't work. Prozac worked the first time but it's an OCD and Cit isn't. It says it can help but it's for depression.
  • Posted

my counselor(no affiliation to the dr that wrote these) said this medicine is the best along with lexapro for anxiety. so I think it will work. I know 2 ppl that use zoloft for the ocd thoughts. and 1 that uses Paxil for them. so I think they all work for that it's just finding the right one for each individual. 
    • Posted

I'll pray for us both. Tonight is my fifth night taking it. It's been up and down. They say it gets worse before it gets better. I'm hoping it kicks in soon. Keep me updated please. 
  • Posted

tonight is my second night. what side effects have you experienced? I can't tell if Ive had any because im also sick with a sinus infection and it's that time of the month for me. 
    • Posted

I take mine at night because I woke 7-4. The first night I had insomnia and woke up every couple hours. I also felt like my heart rate was up a little but it does that from anxiety anyways. The rest of the nights I've woke up around 12 and 4. It's made me be have anxious thoughts first thing in the morning and then around 10 I start to calm down until about 6 or so then my anxiety comes back in time for bed. I've been a little shaking and was extremely tired the first 2 days. My stomach has been a little upset with lack of appetite. Hopefully soon the morning anxiety leaves because it's the worse but I can deal with the rest as long as it helps. I'm only taking 2.5 mg because I'm extremely sensitive to meds. Then I'm going to do as the instructions said and do 5mg for 3 weeks then 10. If need be because if I find 5 works then I will stay there. Hopefully, fingers crossed!
  • Posted

I am on 10mg. I take my at about 730-8pm. they said to go up to 20mg if I don't have any side effects but I'm gonna stick with 10 for atleast 2wks before I go back to the dr
    • Posted

I posted back. I'm ok. about to take my 3rd day. I'm nervous about the side effects because i heard they started around day 3-7. when did yours start? I hope your anxiety calms soon. just try to think about good thoughts and reassure yourself it's just the anxiety. easier said than done I know. but hopefully itll help!  
    • Posted

You probably won't get any because I've had increased anxiety every morning since I took them and waking up 3 or 4 times a night sad did they give you anything else for anxiety. They gave me xanax but I'm to scared to take it. 
    • Posted

you know I had anxiety the first night I was going to take them but I put it off until the following night. and I woke with anxiety that night too. your fear could be causing anxiety? or it could be the meds? I have a few xanax. but haven't needed them. if you have some just one. it'll help you. what mg xanax did they give u? 
    • Posted

I have woken up multiple times a night but i also did that before the meds sometimes so I don't know if it's the meds doing that. 
    • Posted

So you have been getting increased anxiety too? Are you in the US. Just curious since your husband is military. My husband works 24 hours shifts as Firefighter/emt and I feel like I'm driving him crazy. I'm so embarrassed.
    • Posted

we keep answering on 2 different posts lol. I had increased anxiety the night before I started them and the night I started. but o think it was just me giving myself anxiety. not the meds. yes we're in the US. u? 
    • Posted

Lol yea sorry, yes we are East coast. I wasn't sure because it says UK 
    • Posted

I didn't realize it was UK until after i started posting. we are easy coast too. NC. 
    • Posted

and I meant east coast not easy coast lol
    • Posted

No I actually have always had anxiety about having health problems. I was seeing a neurologist in wilm for headaches because I thought I had something seriously wrong. I had an MRI and everything came back fine but she gave me celexa because she felt it was anxiety. Being my usual self I stuck it in the cabinet. Now a month later this happened and decided to try them. I once had this happen after a miscarriage and prozac helped but I went off of it and tried to restart it and had severe side effects. Hopefully I can find another med to work sad
    • Posted

I've had anxiety about health ever since I had my first child 9 years ago. I google way too much and freak myself out. if they get a headache or something im googling brain tumors. stuff like that. but it wasn't until the intrusive thoughts in September that I decided I needed help. but put it off until last month. then the meds have been sitting in the cabinet ever since and I finally took them. you should see dr mikhail at cncc of u need a dr specific for that. he's nice and funny and reassuring. 
    • Posted

Same thing happened to me my daughter is 5. We were trying to have another but after one traumatic miscarriage last year and then another this year it has made me come crashing back down. Is that the first time you went there after the intrusive thoughts? Is it something he thinks is just anxiety and will go away? Did he give you the lavender oils. I'm curious 
    • Posted

the lavender pills and cortisone manager pills came from a naturopathic dr in raleigh. but I'm pretty sure u can't take them with an ssri. I took them for a week back in the beginning of october and they helped a lot with my anxiety. and then I quit taking them. and I haven't had strong intrusive thoughts since then. but I still have ones that come and go quickly and then the regular anxiety so I went to cncc. he said its mild anxiety but that it could be debilitating to ppl. and that he recommends therapy and meds or just therapy. but not meds alone. but I don't want therapy. and I know 3 ppl that had the intrusive thoughts and 2 used zoloft and 1 Paxil. and the 2 on zoloft only used it short term and they have been fine. 
    • Posted

Yea I read that zoloft and Paxil are ocd drugs but celexa can help but it's not mostly depression. My problem is I get a intrusive thought but instead of letting it just pass and move on I dwell on it and make myself sick. How long did it take you to get in at CNCC ? I'd prefer not to have therapy I just want them gone. I don't want to talk about them.
    • Posted

Also prozac is and I'm wondering if that's why it helped me before.
    • Posted

that's the same with me. I dwell on the thoughts and overanalyze them and just make it worse. I called them and had an appt a wk later. 
    • Posted

A counselor that don't work in that same office told me celexa and lexapro are the best for anxiety. 
    • Posted

I will call Monday and get a appt. Have you been back since you got the cit? 
    • Posted

no. I was supposed to go back 2wks later but since I didn't start until 3 days ago im going to call monday to make my follow up appt. 
    • Posted

Ugh I'm already having anxiety at the fact I'm taking 5mg tonight instead of 2.5 I know I'm going to have increased anxiety sad
    • Posted

try to pretend like the anxiety don't bother u. and tell urself it's just anxiety. and take part of a xanax. what mg xanax do u have?
    • Posted

I believe it's .25 but I break it up haha. I took one a few days ago and it felt like I was having a hot flash or simething and my heart felt like it was beating hard 😥
    • Posted

that was probably u having anxiety aboit taking it. .25 is very small dose. I have taken .5 and 1mg. I think u should take the .25. it'll give u a good night sleep too. try it on a night ur husband is home and tell him to babysit u lol. 
    • Posted

Lol yea I'm going to do that! I'm heading to bed now! I'll talk to you tomorrow 
    • Posted

Hey just checking to see how your doing today. I had a rough morning, insomia most of the night. sad felt ok today but still had a nagging in the back of my mind.
    • Posted

I'm doin ok. still no side effects. I'm thinking my dose will be raised to 20mg next week. have u tried one of ur xanax?
    • Posted

No. I had suicidal thoughts the day before I started the medicine and that's why I started it. I've never had these thoughts and it scared me to death. Since I've been on the meds im having more and it's so scary. I'm trying to figure out if it's anxiety/medication or the pills making it worse. sad I was feeling better earlier.
    • Posted

is it the thought about "what if" u do it? or do u want to end ur life? it's probably the anxiety. and I really think u should take xanax. is your husband home? 
    • Posted

It's like I keep seeing my self do it but I don't want to obviously but the thoughts are driving me nuts. 
    • Posted

it's the anxiety. just try ur xanax. and give it 30-60 min. and see how u feel. and if u do take it. let me know how it works 
    • Posted

how about ur anxiety is giving me anxiety lol. sucks being uncomfortable in your own skin don't it? I don't like it. 
    • Posted

did you take one? 
    • Posted

get some good deep sleep and see how you feel in the morning. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.