off Mirtazapine 1 month

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, I was on mirtz for 2 months starting at 15 mg for anxiety and sleep , 2 weeks then dropped to 7.5 , to sedating . Then 6 weeks on 7.5 mg 2 months total, first 3 weeks off were not great but managed them, but then week 4 and week 5 were really bad, panic attacks internal shaking , nausea, Doctor said couldn't be withdrawal I was to far along it was anxiety, I was on day 32 off, he said take activan / lorenzapam as needed, I asked him about going back to 7.5 he said ok, I've taken 7.5 for 2 nights now feel a little better no panic attacks, was it withdrawal or anxiety, if I decide to taper again how long should I stay at 7.5 before I try again, and how should I taper, any help would be thankful for

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

add to what I said my first taper was 7.5 mg cut in half 5 days and quit
  • Posted

Hi, I was like you on 15 mg for 3/4 months , dropped to 7. 5 mg then off. After a week or so major panic feelings. Went to my doctor. He recommded 7.5 mg every other day for a week then 7 .5 mg every 3 rd day for a week, then every ,4 th day for a week and so on. I'm now taking 7.5 every 5 th day and have been ok. Sleep is not to good but take a antihistamines if I'm desperate and melatonin 10 mg which also helps. I think subconsciously our minds make us panic as there is now no medication to help. I've been practicing mindfulness and breathing which does help calm you down. It's trial and error how to get off this med. Hopefully this is my second time trying to stop and I do feel better than the first attempt as I now know what to expect, with withdrawal symptoms etc. Good luck.

• Posted

thank you for helping, how long did you wait before your second attempt, did you go back to 7.5 after your 1st attempt, what did you take for your panic attacks, once you went back on did you try to quit right away or dI'd you stay on them for awhile to get better, thanks

• Posted

Hi Mark, sorry for late reply been away for few day's. I Started second attempt after a week or so. I took 7.5 my every other day again and it got me back on track. I'm now on it every 5 th day and am into 3 rd week of this. Next week I will take 7.5 mg every 6 th day for two weeks and then every 7 th day for two weeks then stop. For my panic moments my doctor has prescribed 40 mg of propanolol twice a day which eases my symptoms. You know that butterfly feeling, shakyness feeling inside. I also keep telling myself it's just a feeling that I'm causing and it can't hurt me. Pregablin is very good for anxiety. I was on this for a few months and it calmed my down loads. In UK it's used for anxiety with good results. Google it to see how others have got on. I hope what I've said helps. I went off what my doctor advised and seem to be doing ok.

• Posted

thanks for the info, my doctor told me to go back on mirtazapine for 1 month at 7.5, then to start to taper off, I'm only on day 5 now and going to see him in 2 weeks, I hate the fact that I had 31 days off it and now back on it,

• Posted

hi, how are you doing now are you off mirtazapine now,
    • Posted

Hi Mark, now down to one dosage a every week of 7.5 mg. I make it a Wednesday night. So far so good. Its just taking that step of letting go of this drug. It has been ok, just anxiety really that's been the problem. It is easier than it was. Each day I feel better. Head more clearer. I'm happy to stick with this regime for now as I feel back to myself. Sleeping is improving. I take antihistamines if it gets bad. So far only only take one or two a week. It's been a slow process but worth it now. I was dreading coming off it but doing as the doctor advised has been ok. How r u doing?

• Posted

Hi, sounds like you are doing great only 7.5 mg 1 day a week, I would think you should be fine when you quit, keep me posted because I will be going off 7.5 in 3 weeks , second try , first time on was on it 2 months, at 7.5, had to go back on it a month later, this time I will be on it 5 weeks then off , I am going to use your taper method, if my doc says I can,
    • Posted

on your every 6 day sounds like it 2 weeks , and on your every 7 day sounds like 2 weeks, but before that it's just 1 week, is that right with your taper method

• Posted

Yeah that's right. Its worked fine and I feel ok. It gives your body time to adjust with this method. Keep thinking positive thoughts. I tell myself everyday looking in the mirror , I can do this and this also helped. Will report back again in few weeks time. Good luck and take care.

• Posted

Hello Tempest and Mark

The skipping several days then taking mirtazapine again is emblematic of placing your CNS and ENS on a rollercoaster ride. Please don’t do this.

The reason you  eventually get symptoms (w/d) 7-8d after last dose is because mirtazapine’s half life is 20-40 hrs x5 = 200 hrs or roughly 8 days.  Varies based on % of drop and how you metabolize and/or if you completely CT.  Which essentially that is exactly what you both are doing is COLD TURKEY repeatedly every few days.

Full withdrawal (w/d) begins when the last of mirtzapine leaves your body (liver), once all the half lives are diminished.

This drug can be very unstable and very unforgiving. I worry you both will push the envelope of mirtazapine chances with this starting and stopping strategy and experience very acute effects.

It’s unfortunate but most providers are clueless about AD withdrawal and cause more suffering than help with their advice.

The harm reduction approach for AD withdrawal is not more than 10% of current dose every 30-45d.

I wish you both only wellness.

• Posted

Hi, my doctor suggested this. I've tapered from 15 mg to 7.5 mg. Then took 7.5 mg every day for 3 weeks then take 7.5 mg every 3 days for 3 weeks then 7.5 my every 4 th day for 3 weeks and so on. I'm Taking 7.5mg now once a week and coming up to 3 rd week of this and feel fine. Only thing is a bit morning anxiety and odd night of bad sleep but nothing awful. I was only on 15 mg for 5 months so tapering this way has not been bad. I take propanol for morning anxiety which helps and exercise. My head feels clearer and I feel like me again which I'm pleased about. Everyone's experience on this med is different. It helped me when I needed it and tapering has been ok. I'm staying on one 7.5 mg once a week for another couple of weeks then that will be it. I will report back when it's done.

• Posted

Hi Tempest & Mark

Yes, I’ve seen many doctors suggest different ways to withdraw from mirtazapine, nearly all of them are not only ineffective but sadly also harmful.

And yes, everyone is different, however my experience is from reading thousands of mirtazapine stories across hundreds of forums and portals over many years.

Mirtazapine builds a dependence (addiction) quite fast, mere weeks. So unfortunately it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been taking it. If you’re in the high percentage of folks that are in the unlucky group that experiences withdrawal you’re going to be effected.

It’s classed as a tetracyclic only because it shares a couple tetracyclic properties,, but it’s really a rogue drug in a class of its own.  Providers don’t know what’s in it, how it works (or doesn’t work) or how to withdraw from it.  They go by what big pharma (leaflet) tells them which is there is no such thing as withdrawal. They are clueless, unfortunately.

I hope you consider the harm reduction approach of withdrawal I suggested. It’s the healthiest and safest way to remove this drug from your system.  Very best to you both. 

• Posted

Hi, I was on mirtz for 2 months, started at 15 for 2 weeks then 7.5 for 6 weeks, my doctor told me to take 3.75 for 5 days and quit, I lasted 31 days then had a relaspe due to some personal problems, my doctor told me to restart at 7.5 I saw him yesterday I have been on 7.5 for 12 days, he told me to cut to 3.75 and see how it goes, today is my 1st day not great but hanging in there, he wants me to take the 3.75 for 10 days then I will see him, then he will start weaning be off, he knows I want off this med, what do you think of the plan so far
    • Posted

my doctor also said that skipping doses wasn't a good idea, same reasons you stated

• Posted

the first time I was taking mirtz I started at 15 then 2 weeks later I cut to 7.5 and it wasn't to hard a few bad days , I think that's why on my second time on it he thinks I can go from 7.5 to 3.75 without to much trouble, I was on 7.5 only ten days, what do you think

• Posted

Hi did the slow withdrawal like u have suggested along with others and did ok until the 3mg or so mark. Then felt dreadful. So my doctor suggested taking 7.5 mg every day for couple of weeks then every 3rd day and so on as I've said. So far I don't feel half as bad as doing it your way. I'm on 3 rd week of taking 7 .5 mg once a week and feel better than I've ever done. I'm doing mindfulness for the little anxiety I get and have read up on anxiety and depression which has helped. As I have said we all react differently to meds and I must be one of the lucky ones.

• Posted

Hi Tempest

So you did a “no more than 10% of the CURRENT dose every 30-45 days” taper all the way down to zero?

It might also help to know that even when we are on 1mg of an AD there is still a 20% brain receptor occupancy in tact. That is quite high even though it seems to us such a miniscule dose.

I worry you plan to discontinue (d/c) at 7.5mg in a week or so,  I hope you’ll be okay and really do wish you all the best.  💕

• Posted

Hi, yeah I got to 3 mg or so and had to go back on 15 mg for a couple of weeks as I felt really bad each drop. Mainly anxiety which I'm now managing. So my doctor suggested what I have already been doing and its worked much better for me. Wether its to do with my mind set and know what to expect now, I dont know. All I know is I feel much better doing it the way I've mentioned. From next week I'll stop hopefully for good. I will come back and say how I'm doing. So far so good though.

• Posted

Hi, yeah I used a pill cutter. Cut 15 mg into 4 pieces. So took full dose for 3 to 4 weeks then 3 pieces for 3 to 4 weeks and so on. Felt dreadful when down to last quarter. Ended up back on 15 mg for two weeks and then started the method as previously stated.
    • Posted

Hi Tempest

Cutting and slicing pills is not only not consistent but highly inaccurate.

It’s very important you be accurate and consistent when you taper, and even more so when you get to the micro doses (<5mg). 

Can’t tell you how many people find that the cause of their flared w/d is due to the method in which one tapers, 99.9% of the time it’s someone cutting and slicing their pills.

Even the current dose you’re now getting from halving 15mg is not consistent nor accurate. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.