Off the wall side effects??

Posted , 16 users are following.

This probably is gonna sound insane, but has anyone out there experienced some very strange, nondescript type of side effects from prednisone? ie interior of mouth feeling very hot and sorta tender? Also, numbness/tingling in feet and hands? Pls. let me know. I'm feeling like a hypercondriac!

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have numbness that moves to various places depending upon the day.  also neuropathy and tingling toes with deadness....changes daily sometimes the lips and tongue are lazy.  always different.  just learn to live with it and carry on with a smile.  i'ts easier than grousing and dwelling on it.  attitude change.  Hugs to all of us in this trying time.  

• Posted

yes lynda i have had tingling and numbess and had test for it, it can be a sign of carpel tunnel which i have and sleep in splints at night your doctor can send you for tests.
  • Posted

I had the tingling in my feet before prednisone.

My rheumatologist at that time said its neuropathy in my feet.

I'm on 2400 mg. daily of gabapentin and have been for a long time.

I get sores in my mouth frequently. I thought it might be from the dry mouth. An interesting idea that it can be from the prednisone.

I'm currently on 10mg. of prednisone. See my rheumatologist on Aug. 13 & he said he plans to reduce to 7.5mg. if all is going well. 

Prednisone is such a rollercoaster. I've been on it for a year.

Did get prednisone induced diabetes.

Think of all of you on this journey.

• Posted

It will be interesting to see if you can reduce to 7.5mg in one go, I could not do it, let me know please how you go on. Best wishes Mags 😌

• Posted

I think I have had fourteen or maybe fifteen side effects, from hot flushes to sensitive teeth. On the other hand I could not have carried on living without pred I was in so much pain.
    • Posted

Strange isn't it  - when I had sensitive teeth it was due to the PMR, definitely, because it was long before I took pred. I dealt with it with Sensodyne toothpaste. 

• Posted

I dealt with it with Sensodyne too, although I did not like that toothpaste much but it worked. The sensitive teeth seem to have gone away on lower doses.
    • Posted

I used the gel one- only one that had an even half acceptable taste. Now I use Pronamel - much better! The others available at the time were awful - and did nothing for me!!!
    • Posted

You mentioned hot flushes. I'm beyond "flushes". Full on dripping w/sweat seems to have invaded my body! Not éxaturating!! Anyone else experiencing this? I'm going on a flight in 3 wks ( 1st time in over a decade!), and I'm terrified. I'm afraid I'll be sooo uncomfortable. I'm gonna have my emotional support dog and portable oxygen w/me, so I'll really have my hands full! (Literally) Ughhh...

• Posted

Lynda, I also suffer dreadfully from dripping wet hair perspiring all the time.  I look like I have just stepped out of the shower. 

I can't use tissues anymore to 'mop' up as they stick to my face and neck. My solution is using toweling face cloths. I have at least two of them in my handbag. 

I also have to keep a folded one under my bra, as I perspire there too..

If it gets really hot, then I keep a small folded  hand towel round my neck, one of those long ones. 

We are all coping ok and I sincerely wish all you folks a quick recovery.  Bless 

• Posted

My hot flushes were rather like I am in a shower. Probably hot rainstorm may be a better description! 
    • Posted

Omggg!! Thank you sooo much for your quick response to my "sweating issue". I too have dripping wet hair so often. Very embarrassing !! The heat has truly become my enemy and I can't wait for winter! ....of course, with NO climate change, well now ....that's a different subject! Too political?? Lol

• Posted

Yes! 

Can be either or both - I had sweats with PMR even without pred. They are actually better on pred and them returning is a sure sign of a flare starting up.

• Posted

I love you guys!! I was truly starting to believe I was only one with this VERY annoying, embarrassing problem. So nice 2 hear others suffer from this too. We are not alone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.