Oh my god, I have an extra rib (cervical rib!)

Posted , 43 users are following.

Hi there,

I am one of the 1 in 200 people who have an extra rib. I just found out about, how do doctors and chiropractors miss something like this... I have been suffering for 5 years with neck and back pain.. yesterday I had a back scan for the first time when the chiro discovered the nasty rib!

so for 25 years I never knew this, anyone just had a similiar shocker like this?

I was asked by someone how the hell do you not realise that you have an extra rib.. well how does a person know!

To all the sufferers with this problem, take good care of yourself. In two weeks when I am through this pain (I am going to chiro 3 times a week !) I have to start exercising... perhaps a blessing in disquise becaus I am 7 kg overweight..

take care

1 like, 89 replies

89 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I turned 77 June 2nd.Just found out today I have 13 ribs.the dr x-rayime for shots in my back noticed it. He had another day come in and count to make sure.

• Posted

Hi I've been suffering from this pain for the last 10 years. Probably more, because I've had neck pain and migraines as long as I can remember. It just got to the pont where I was unable to move my head forward, back or side to side and I was always in pain in the last 5 years. I have osteoarthritis, and was also diagnosed recently with Hypermobilty Syndrome (overflexibility that leads to pain, arthritis). I just learned two weeks ago that I have bi-lateral cervical ribs. Larger on left than right. I have had tingling and numbness on and off for past few years. Had nerve block injections in spine two years ago (had MRI) and NO ONE NOTICED. I have been to several chiroproators, I WORKED for a chiropractor as a therapist for 2 doctors.. ... no one noticed this. My rhematologist never had an x-ray done over the past 5 years, finally took one, and now these ribs have come about. Wow. I feel like I finally am understanding the source of my pain .Now that I know, I am really worried about surgery. I really want to hear more success stories. My question for those that have surgery, how many of you would recommend getting it done? If you could undo the surgery what would you do instead? Trying to figure out if the surgery is the best route. I also learned of a clinical trial done that uses BOTOX injected into the scalene muscles. Has anyone had this done? Or had any success with alternative treatments. Thanks to anyone that can help. I truly appreciat all that contribute to this site. It has been amazing to get first hand assistance. 

• Posted

For me the surgery was almost instant success. I was back in school 5 days later. Still on painkillers for about a month or so. I was supposed to do PT but I'm having insurance "issues." I also have scoliosis and Psoriatic Arthritis so I'm with you on that pain side of life. I do exercise regularly. My vascular surgeon gave me some tips on regaining flexibility and mobility. I couldn't lift my left arm all the way for about a month and a half. About 3 + months later I could blow dry my hair using that arm! LOL my biggest problem next to putting dishes away in high shelfs. I'm not completely "fixed" but my pain and numbness is NOTHING like it was before. If I maintain good posture, exercise etc I have long stretches of REALLY good days. I recently got the flu that knocked me on my a$$ for 5-6 days straight. I slept on my arm and had some numbness and range of motion issues with it again for awhile. 

I'm so glad I did the surgery. It has literally changed my life. The pain was HORRIFYING for long periods of time... I couldn't express to others how bad this hurt. I couldn't sleep, concentrate. I was super miserable on top of my already health isssues. I think in general it takes a bit for the nerves, etc. to find their new home once the rib is removed. Or, at least that's what it has felt like for me the last 4 months ( I had surgery end of March).

Ha! FYI: The funniest part of surgery was the pain pump. This is the WILDEST feeling EVER! It's like having a dead arm. I'd leave it behind in the bed when I'd get up to use the bathroom. I'd have to literally pick my arm up by grabbing my fingers and shoving it back into it's sling. I couldn't stop giggling. Fortunately, they took that out the next day. It's funny but it's such a foreign feeling it also gets uncomfortable.

I'm curious too about the Botox injections. PT was good for me in that I went for about 5+ months prior to surgery. It helped me to learn the right exerices to do to target those muscles and how to over-compensate my posture to help correct my slouch. I still utilize what I learned from them. I still love a good lidocaine patch or Tiger Balm Patch. I did do accupuncture which I felt helped, the only problem was that I would need to go 2-3x a week for a couple weeks straight to get real results. This isn't always easy to schedule... and then there's the whole insurance thing...

• Posted

Bottom line for me is that there is NO "magic bullet" that will put this beast down. Surgery in conjuction with correct exercise, good posture, along with my Lyrica 200mg 3x daily has pretty much "fixed" me in the sense that I can live my life and NOT be distracted by this nonsense anymore. There was definately times when I thought I was going to lose it. Having long stretches of days like this is the Hope I really needed just knowing THIS is a possiblity for me.

• Posted

I am a shocker like this?I am very frusted due to neck pain. From last 3 years..now Dr suggested me for surgery where extra rib will get removed?its very scared for Me?

Any chances to get this fix?any risk in this surgery

• Posted

There is always risks in surgery but from what I've read, heard, and witnessed, the surgery doesn't work for everyone. It worked WONDERFULLY for me. Of course, it's been hard and a struggle to recover completely. I now have some days with just numbness in my left arm (where my cervical rib was removed). The pain is almost COMPLETELY gone. I couldn't be more happy!!! I had surgery about 2 years ago.

Make sure to research your surgeon. Ask how many surgeries like this he/she has done. Ask how many of those patients were helped by the surgery. I believe that's a good indication of how successful it will be. Try Physical Therapy also. It will help to strengthen you before and after surgery. It may even help a little with the pain.

• Posted

I just found out today that I have 2 cervical ribs (1 on both sides) after being treated for the past 10 weeks for what doctors thought was a torn muscle between my neck and shoulder. Gp suggested trying to just deal with it with pain killers but in these 10 weeks no painkiller has even eased the pain slightly. Have been given very little information and was actually advised to read about it online. So any help would be appreciated on how I try and tackle this.
    • Posted

I have 2 cervical ribs as well. I ended up having surgery on my left side which has changed my quality of life SUBSTANTIALLY! Surgery on this is serious though, it's NO joke!

My experience, painkillers  don't work for my pain either. This is because I have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome as a result of the ribs. It's really a NERVE pain/damage so you have to attack it differently. I HIGHLY recommend taking Lyrica (Pregabalin) 3 times daily. It's used for Diabetic nerve pain usually. That helps. Also, Cymbalta which has the added boost of being an antidepressant. Hey, it's depressing being in pain ALL the time.  PT can be helpful. However, because it's a structural issue, it most likely wont fix it.

Hope this helps! Ask me questions if you need help. lol

• Posted

I was told that by a primary doctor who discovered I have extra ribs my ribs wi hurt all the time what can be done with this matter it’s the weirdest pain I get in my ribs
  • Posted

I discovered I have an extra rib at the age of 40!!! lol I'd noticed a lump in the side of my neck but ignored it for a long time, my sisters eventually made me go to the doctor who after examining me made a referral to hospital.. by which point I was getting worried. After having a camera up my nose (nice lol), ultrasound, blood tests and chest x-ray they discovered that I actually have a cervical rib!! They just said it was nothing to worry about but if the tingling/numbness in my fingers gets any worse or I get any pain to go back.. that was over a year ago now. I just wonder why it was never picked up at birth or while growing up? lol

• Posted

LMAO! ME TOO!!! Mind you, I have had NUMEROUS X-rays in my life. I've had other medical procedures as well. I have NO idea how this went unnoticed for SO long. Weird, beyond Wild!

I was jumping up and down going NUTS when I saw it on the X-ray. The X-ray technician was training someone so it was a GREAT learning experience for all of us and very exciting. Exciting only for me in the sense that I had an answer to my pain.

• Posted

Hi. I appreciate all the interesting information and possible links that may connect all of us with this condition. I have 3 cervical ribs and scoliosis in my neck. My blood type is B+ which seems to be common in this group. I have asthma and low blood sugar issues as I have seen mentioned. I also have neuritis that messes with my heart and lungs. Does anyone else have this issue? I have to see chiropractors often and I have to be very careful as to which ones. I am not a candidate for surgery as I was told my ribs have too many nerves and veins so no surgeon will touch me. Which is okay with me because from the sounds of it, because of the way my neck is arranged and how i react to surgeries i think i would rather just deal with the pain. Also I am 33 and female if that makes any difference. Thanks for reading!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.