Ok to move my toes?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm about 11 days postop from my bimallar fracture. I've been moving my toes around while in the cast a good bit, and I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing? I'm so worried I'm doing something to screw it up, as my Dr didn't tell me to move them around. But I read online I should move them around. This whole situation has gotten me so depressed, hoping I'm doing something Right! Just want to heal as quick as I can.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jessica- It's very normal to feel down at the point where you are now. I did too. What got me quickly out of my funk, was thinking about people with permanent disabilities, who will never walk again. I realized, even though this was a big bummer, and major inconvenience, that I was very lucky to have only have a temporary problem. As bad as it seems now, you will get better and walk again. I had a trimalleolar fracture (so three instead of two broken bones in the ankle). I am 5 months out now and doing great, so don't worry. I can jog down the hall even and know I will be able to run before too long. You just need to keep your mind busy, and realize ankles take some time to heal. Try to make yourself as comfortable as you can (I had 6 pillows at that point to keep my legs up and learned to sleep on my back). Eat healthy and do your best to take care of yourself, but know it does take some time and you just have to let your body do it's magic and heal you. It gets a little better week by week. It is good to wiggle your toes! I was told to do so right after surgery and did so from that point on in my splint and then in my cast (many people get a boot instead of a cast). Get a knee scooter asap if you don't have one. It will be the best decision you make! Remember all those things you wished you had time to do, but never could find the time...the movies, the books, the small quiet projects? Guess what....you have time to do them now! Think positive and those around you will too!

• Posted

Welcome to the club you never asked to join. Just like all. Follow Daphne's advice. It's spot on.

Good luck!

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Oops Patti's advice! Daphne's will be coming????

• Posted

Sorry you're going through this Jessica. Yes do wriggle your toes... Patti's advice is excellent you will get through this and walk again. It's seven weeks today since I had ORIF surgery for a bimalleolar fracture. I wriggled my toes while I had my cast on. My cast came off on my Monday and I now have an ankle brace. I can put two feet on the floor which feels great and get about at home with one crutch most of the time.

Hang in there. Your ankle will heal it just takes time. All of us who've been through similar injuies and surgeries know how difficult it is...

Wishing you all the best with your healing and recovery.

• Posted

Hi Jessica, I broke my ankle in February, tibia and fibula also had orif surgery. Was in a cast for over nine weeks nwb, three plus pre op and six post op. I am akso at the same stage as Patti who answered your post. It is a long and emotional road ahead, but be positive and take patti's advice, movie's, books, hobbies, friends and family. Rest as much as you want, keep your leg elevated all the time, while sitting or lying down. You are going to have a lot of swelling at this stage. If you can ice packs on the ankle help as well. It is good to wiggle your toes, as it helps with circulation. If your surgeon has given you pain meds and anti inflammatory tablets, use them, your body will tell you when you don't need them. Eat healthy also drink lots of water. Most importantly listen to your body, and do as much as it says you can. This is a great site to be on as we have all had similar problems, and you will get a lot of answers, advice, and encourage from all who answer to your posts. Keep positive and smiling and a speedy recovery. Keep us updated on your progress. God bless.

• Posted

Great inspiration. And a knee scooter. How are you Daphne? I'm at a very happy positive stage. I can walk, unaided for 50 metres maybe. Never thought I'd see the day at times. Swelling after being up on it all day, but only a hint of pain at end of day or if it gets cold. Im holding this Infirmary together. My daughter is fighting asthma and a virus now chest infection. My husband got shingles 4 weeks ago, and now has PHN. The awful aftermath of shingles. Second time I've seen him beg to go to the Dr

Usually hates the place! 1st time is when he snapped his Scaphoid. He told me if he hadn't have broken his hand , he'd have absolutely NO Sympathy for me. Lol.

Snow on the hills, but the sun's out today. Try!???????????????

Had Jonquils in gargen flowering since march. They forgot to wait til now.My birthday soon. That's when spring flowers come. I have over 200 daffodils,tulips, and hyacinths.

©{°×`}®

• Posted

When is your birthday? Sounds like a beautiful garden!

Congrats on the 50 meters! Keep it going!

Shout out to Daphne. Hope you had a great vaca!

• Posted

Hi Tituscanby and Patti. I am so pleased for you Tituscanby, you are now truly on your way to a full recovery. My life is in a turmoil at the moment. My mom was taken into hospital on 27 July with heart failure and have had my dad with me since then and he is in a wheelchair and fragile. My mom passed away today so I am not so great at the moment. Today is my 40TH wedding anniversary but also such a sad day. I will soon post some info again, I just need to get over this. X
    • Posted

So sorry to hear the sad news about your Mom, Daphne. Thinking of you at this difficult time. Take good care of yourself.

With love

Julia

• Posted

So sorry to hear that Daphne . Thoughts are with you. Big hugs.💖🌞🙏🌺🌻🌼💐🌸💮🌹
    • Posted

Daphne- It broke my heart to hear about your mom. I'm so sorry! How can life change in just a split second like that? It makes you realize how precious every moment is for us, and how we need to appreciate every day and always give hugs to our loved ones every chance we get. In the future, think of your anniversary as a day of love, for your husband and the happy memories of your mother. She would want you to do that I'm sure. Know you are in our thoughts! Sending hugs to you!

• Posted

Thanks Patti, my mom was still great the one day and the next she was ill. All so sudden. It is so true to let all your loved ones know how you feel about them as everything can change in a split second. I am pleased I was able to tell her how much I loved her and say goodbye, and hold her hand to the end. Thank you.
    • Posted

What a great daughter!  I want to go like your mom, seeing the lovely faces of my children and grandchildren, and then to go quickly when it is time. Everyone gets a turn at life. We have to make the best of every opportunity and day that we have! Hope your dad is doing okay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.