Ok to move my toes?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm about 11 days postop from my bimallar fracture. I've been moving my toes around while in the cast a good bit, and I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing? I'm so worried I'm doing something to screw it up, as my Dr didn't tell me to move them around. But I read online I should move them around. This whole situation has gotten me so depressed, hoping I'm doing something Right! Just want to heal as quick as I can.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i had a "tarsus-malleolar" fracture to my ankle, spent some times in the backslab splint and now i'm in a full leg plaster. no surgery.

my foot was unstable so i was told not to move the toes when i was in the splint. after cast application it was painful but doctor asked to move anyway once every 2 days.

recently i was told to move the toes everytime i want.

so i assume it's ok if it doesn't hurt or the Dr doesn't say NO. my cast also has the "toe support" wich limits movements, maybe my break is near the foot.

• Posted

Wiggle away.. Silly old cast feel like I'm dragging a cement block around.

Besides wiggling your toes is a happy kind of thing. The main thing the Dr. Wants you to avoid is putting weight on the ankle before the bone has healed around your new hardware. That weigh the hardware is supported by the new healed bones. I fell twice using my crutches and in the process did put some weight in my ankle for the briefest of moments. When I went for my 2 week post surgery visit ... Boy was I relieved when the doc told me 

everything was straight and in place. I was saying Yippee inside... I didn't screw it up. So sit back elevate that leg and watch the grass grow. After doing the X-rays he put a hard half cast on my leg. I've come to appreciate this thing. It is giving my poor broken ankle a constant hug. That cast is protecting your ankle keeping it from hurting f you bump anything and protecting your surgeons beautiful work, Have you tried a knee walker? I was in a wheel chair at first (crutches and I just didn't work) but when he put the hard cast on he gave me a prescription for a knee walker. I'm happy because I can do so many things for myself again. Sure hope you get wonderful results. We are getting a lesson in patience.

• Posted

I've been trying to move my toes but they are still quite swollen so not able too just yet, but I have been told to keep trying especially whilst still in a cast.

• Posted

Wiggle them as much as is comfortable. You will be able to do more each day. I just learned that wiggling is also important to protect against Deep vein thrombosis (DVT), kind of like getting up and walking around on a plane on a long flight. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.