Olanzapine for 28 days

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I took Olanzapine for about 28 days, 5mg, and I'm quitting cold turkey, I'm just wondering if anyone have any experience quitting Olanzapine for less than a month of use and can tell me what to expect quitting it? Thanks!

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

For the record, I've been off for 3 days now and I feel no change (then again, I didn't feel any real change on the drugs either expect for being a bit tired). Not sure when I can expect to feel like hell.

• Posted

Your withdrawal symptoms will start from second week of you stopping the medicine.Anti psychotic cold turkey after using 30 days ,changed my brain chemistry permanently that I am suffering with hypnopompic  hallucinations from 2 years.There is no cure for this life threatening withdrawal symptoms.

So I strongly recommend you to start tapering olanzapine.You stopped taking olanzapine for 4 days.First you start taking 5mg every night for one week.Meanwhile buy a pill cutter.Online too available for low cost.Cut the olanzapine 5 mg pill into 4 equal pieces.Take 3 pieces first month.Take 2 pieces second month.Take 1 piece last month.Then take 1 piece every alternate day for 15 days and stop.This is the proper way to stop olanzapine.If your brain is  too sensitive,google olanzapine tapering by 10% every month and follow the method.Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! Did you have these hallucinations or similar before you started? I was given olanzapine as a short term sleeping medication, I don't suffer from any psychosis (well, atleast not yet)

• Posted

Hi! I quit Olanzapine 5mg cold turkey 17 days ago and since then, I have lost the ability to fall asleep on my own. This past night, even Ambien did not help and I was awake all night. When I start to drift off, my mind quickly fires up and I come out of the dream state. It’s alll happening in under a fraction of a second. What do you mean it’s life threatening? 

Have you consulted a psychiatrist about this? Are you back on anti psychotics? Have your symptoms lessened ever since? 

Should I go back to 5mg? I am seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow about this, but now I’m very worried!

Thank you and bless you!

• Posted

What do you mean there is no cure?

You are still alive.. have you not slept ever since?

• Posted

Quit cold turkey after 3 months of use. When the wd hits it was hard. After 3 months is when I felt much better.

Take it day by day.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hello

Olanzepine is a very potent drug! I quit cold turkey after a year as the Doctors weren't listening when I repeatedly told them I wasn't feeling myself The withdrawal symptoms were horrendous but I rode it out and after many months I felt wonderful/so alive/the real me again!

Worst symptoms were nausea/ lightheadness/fluctuating body temperature/anxiety initially and insomnia

Just really nurture yourself through it! i.e exercise and healthy eating good supplements

Hope you feel good soon! :-)

• Posted

HI Again,

Insomnia has been an ongoing issue for me since stopping Olanzapine.  I dont like the affects of sleeping tablets so have tried many natural remedies without much success but everyone is different.  Keeping busy and lots of physical activity does help and a good bedtime routine.  One of my friends swears by Meditation Apps.  Have a look online things you can do to naturally help aide sleep.

• Posted

Hello

I am quitting olanzapine after about 10 weeks on 2.5mg. I am also on  venlafaxine. Did you get through withdrawal ok? How long did it last? I’m suffering badly today with anxiety and crying spells. I need to know there’s hope and it’s not far away. 

Thanks

• Posted

There is a way to come out of olanzapine safely.You stopped olanzapine at 2.5 m.g! what a mistake.Stopping an antipsychotic cold turkey will cause drastic changes in the brain.I am suffering with hypnogogic and hypnopompic hallucinations from two years after stopping an antipsychotic cold turkey after using it 4 weeks.I stopped 1 m.g risperidone.So 2.5 m.g olanzapine is big dose to cause severe problems.What you need to do is start taking 2.5 mg olanzapine ASAP.Because if you par 8 days, reinstatement of the drug does not work and it may cause severe problems.Buy pill cutter online,which is low cost.Stabilize on 2.5 m.g four weeks ,then start tapering.cut 2.5 mg tablet as four equal pieces with pill cutter.After using 2.5 mg four weeks,use 3 pieces four weeks,use 2 pieces four weeks,use 1 piece four weeks.Then stop trying.If you can stop,you stop.I tried stoping after 1 piece,but could not.So I started micro tapering.which is 10% of 0.625 mg every four weeks.Read surviving antidepressants forum to find our kind of people.good luck.
    • Posted

hypnagogic and hypnapompic hallucinations are not only a bizarre experiences every day,they will interrupt your sleep when ever you attempt to sleep.For this problem,sleep medications will not work.One need to be on olanzapine kind of antipsychotic as sleep aid,life long
    • Posted

My withdrawal symptoms were fairly mild, I think the worst part was that I psyched myself out so badly in expectation of what i had read. Loss of appetite and having a harder time sleeping was probably the worst about it, but this has normalized. I think if you're suffering a lot it's worth tapering instead. Personally quitting cold turkey went ok for me.

• Posted

Thank you. I have taken it again tonight and will talk to my doc tomorrow. Did u take anything to help withdrawal? I have read about “the road back” and the supplements they sell. 
    • Posted

Lucky you!

please keep updating your symptoms.

so that people will know, even the delayed withdrawal is too not for every one.

• Posted

HI

I've posted on here sharing my hell experience of going off Olanzapine Cold Turkey on a dose of 5mg

Definitely the worst thing to do but I took drastic action because the Doctors weren't listening to me telling them I believed it was causing me more problems than ever! It totally changed who I really am and how I was functioning! I gained mental clarity quite quickly but the physical withdrawal symptoms were absolutely horrendous which lasted for many months!

Honestly that drug is evil and should be banned!

• Posted

Hello Linda

I quit cold turkey on a dose of 5mg of Olanzepine! Definitely not an adviseable thing to do as the withdrawal symptoms were absolute hell and lasted many months!

My main symptoms were extreme anxiety nausea really bad shakes changing body temperature and then terrible insomnia but I rode it out as I knew deep down that that drug was bad news! It totally altered the real me and how I functioned! It was very scarey! Now I've never been better in myself and are surviving nicely on a low antidepressant dose and a very healthy lifestyle! Healthy food and daily exercise! It really helps!

Just hang in there! I'm sure it will pass!

I really hope so and I hope u have good support around you! :-)

• Posted

Sorry to hear it's not going so well. I didn't take any supplements, just tried to get good sleep and ate lots of fruit (mainly because that's what I could stomach).

• Posted

Just glad to be off this med, grateful that I didn't suffer too much. Will update if I notice anything in the future

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and the hope it gives me. I’m awaiting a call back from mental health team. Feel like I’m losing it. Been to gp this morning and he wants me to persevere off it. I’m hoping my venlafaxine will stave off anxiety but I’m not convinced that dose is right either. Suicidal thoughts are strong today. Spending time with my very supportive family. I’m sure olanzapine served it’s purpose when I was severely anxious and not sleeping but what a price to pay. 

• Posted

HI Linda

I'm onboard with your GP! Yes definitely persevere!

These drugs greatly concern me!

I'm actually waiting to hear late this week whether I'm successful in getting an official role as a Consumer Consultant in Mental Health representing a project on Medication Management which I created a questionnaire off my own bat which has been accepted by the services to be distributed out to consumers for feedback Our government has ordered a National Enquiry on the MH and Addiction Services so I have plenty to say about that!

It's so good to have my mind back!

Take good care and hang in there! :-)

• Posted

Just to let you know I’m getting through it. Managed 2 days at work this last week. Anxiety and fatigue is hard. I’m waiting for a delivery from neurogenics after finding “the road back” during my desperate googling. In the mean time I’m using magnesium citrate for the anxiety and omega 3.  I’m holding on to the hope that you have given me. I will feel normal again at some point. Until then I have great family support to help me ride it out.  
    • Posted

you will get answers at surviving antidepressants org forum
    • Posted

HI Linda

Commend yourself for working those days! :-) It wouldn't of been easy!

I must look into this neurogenics as never heard of it!

I took good quality supplements too but getting into daily exercise really helped especially fitness classes as u have to concentrate! :-)

Happy to hear u have great support!

• Posted

I’m eagerly awaiting my delivery. It’s taking a few days but their email support is good.  They advised taking magnesium and fish oil until my delivery comes. The program is called “the road back” and the book has been a comfort to me.  Just to know that I’m not broken and there is hope.
    • Posted

Today is hard. Severe anxiety agitation crying spells. Didn’t make it into work. Seriously considering a rehab centre in America 
    • Posted

Your posts are just frightening me even more. That is not helpful. 
    • Posted

oh really! I thought I am being helpful to come out of this drug safely

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.