Olanzapine Withdrawal

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi all,

After reading most of the posts on here, I decided to write my current experience while I realise some of the posts' age on here vary between nine months to three years, but I hope that someone can hear my shout and give me a hand. 

I was put on Olanzapine back in June after trying a different medication for my paranoia and after an admission to hospital. 

The initial dose was 5 mg then increased to 10 mg as the lower dose did not work on the paranoia. 

Towards the end of March this year, 2017, I reduced the dose to 5 mg wrongly, not knowing that I should have done 7.5 first to avoid the horrible withdrawal symptoms.

At first, I thought everything was fine, the for the last two weeks, I started to feel depressed, lost interest in everything, got headaches, diarrhoea, strong vivid memories to when I was patronised, disrespected and put down by people. The worst of all are the violent and suicidal thoughts I have had during all this.   

I would like to hear from those who had similar experiences with such symptoms and how long does it last? 

Also, it will be helpful to know what is the best withdrawal plan from now on, shall I go for 2.5 gm after few months? Or shall I alternate between 5 mg and 2.5 mg for few weeks then go down to 2.5?

I am desperate to hear from people, so PLEASE help. 

3 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I am also in the process of getting off this. My only withdrawal symptom is insomnia, very severe. I have taken melatonin, and it helped but I do not want to become dependent of melatonin. I am very scared about this. How long does this insomnia after olanzepine lasts, how long until the sleep seems to be back to normal. I know every person is different but I really hate and am scared about having to go back because of insomnia. I was on 5 mg for about 1 year now and it made me gain lot of weight despite watching my food and exercising.
    • Posted

I would say you would be sleepless for 1-2 months. If you want to take it easy and sleep without problem why not get liquid olanzapine drops and decrease the intake minutely every day for 2 months, proportionally.
    • Posted

Having said that, it is advocated that the withdrawal will take equal to how long you've been taking the drug. If you wanna be really safe, taper for 1 year.

• Posted

Hi, thank you, it really helps to talk with other people going thru this, this is my third attempt to get off and got hit with insomnia every time, now I am in the middle of house relocation and new job starting, and I just didn't feel like going thru this alone.

• Posted

That's cool. The olanzapine is water soluble so you can do some chemistry experiments trying to get how much you need every night you'll be sleeping well for a year, it's about as gentle a slide as you can get.

• Posted

They do melting pills too, ask for those.
    • Posted

Hi Clara I was on it for 20 years and stopped a year ago. Try taking 5htp it will help with your mood and help you sleep. It converts to serotonin in your brain and also helps elevate melatonin levels. It's completely herbal and non addictive. Be careful what you take with it though it can react with antidepressants

• Posted

HI, thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately I am on celexa and I cannot take 5htp, because it causes a dangerous reaction. Celexa is very good for me, it helped me completely with sleep and mood before, it is only zyprexa that I wanna stop. Unfortunately I feel I am relapsing this time again, because I don't wanna be on melatonin until I develop tolerance

• Posted

Have you tried meditation? That helped me a lot too. To start off with I was doing it 2 or 3 times a day but didn't need to so much after a while. Also exercise helps and not drinking alcohol also helps you to sleep and helps with the withdrawals

• Posted

And kalms are quite good too. Completely herbal and don't react with anything. Very good for anxiety

• Posted

Kalms sound interesting,  ut can they be taken with warfarin which i am on?  Herbal remedies are a route i would like to go but warfarin stops me using so many.
    • Posted

Hi all,

Sorry I started this post and has not been active on it as I should be due to the high withdrawal I experienced and also I travelled to visit family. 

Sadly, I had to go back up to 10 mg as my consultant advised. I could not take the side effects of withdrawal especially the psychotic symptoms. The consultant advised me to stay on 10 mg until he meets me again in August and maybe then try a more careful withdrawal plan. 

I am thinking of taking 10 mg one day and 7.5 mg the other day for six weeks before I go down to 7.5 mg. Then stay on 7.5 for another six weeks before I take 7.5 mg one day and 5 mg the other day. So on so forth until I stop it completely. The process will take about seven months to complete but I don't know how it will go until I try. 

Has anyone tried such reduction plan and what do you all think of it?

• Posted

I don't really know. Best thing to do is Google the ingredients to find out

• Posted

That sounds pretty good. Maybe every 8 weeks though. It doesn't matter if it takes ages to get off it as long as you eventually succeed

• Posted

I relapsed as well, I couldn't take the insomnia anymore and I took 5mg last night. I saw there is a clinic in Arizona says they can get you off any meds, including olanzepine, maybe in a few years I can afford going there, in the meantime all I want is to become stable with my sleep again

• Posted

Not to say your symptoms are less than mine, but I wish my withdrawal was to do with insomnia. Mine got paranoia, psychosis, agitation, suicidal thoughts, harmful thoughts and the list goes on. 

I have heard of these clinics where they do a detox. Anyone knows if there are clinics of such kind in Europe or how much is the cost? 

Clara, how did you try to come off, did you stop cold turkey or cut the doses down? 

• Posted

I tried cold turkey, my mistake. Last time I tried to reduce to 2.5 and I still couldn't , the same insomnia hit me

• Posted

My only symptoms are related to lack of appetite and insomnia with little depression. I feel fuzzy in my brain due to lack of adequate sleep, last night went to bed at 1 and wake up at 7. It helps me to talk.
    • Posted

Yes, I want to know if there are any clinics in uk specifically for this as im not managing alone
    • Posted

6 hours of sleep is not too bad that's about all i ever get now and I've been off it for a year. I think you end up sleeping far too much on olanzapine so you'll have to get used to sleeping less. I can function on 6 hours

• Posted

How long have you been on the Olanzapine for? Have you tried to go down 5 mg one day and 2.5 mg the other day? I noticed many people on other forums did that where most were successful in coming off at the end.  
    • Posted

When I reduced the dose, I was getting up very early, at 7 like you. But when I was on 10 mg I used to sleep a lot and until 1 pm, although I slept early the day before. 
    • Posted

I am on olanzepine since June last year, my insomnia manifests that I cannot fall asleep, unless I take melatonin, and it takes me a long time even after that. I am back on 5 mg, and if I will try again I will do it very slowly.
    • Posted

That's the same time on Olanzapine, June last year. My second attempt to come off the medication hopefully it will be next month or in August as that's when I will see the consultant. 

When you cut down to 2.5, did the symptoms hit you straight away or it took a while for them to come?

Have you tried to come off the medication while alternating 5 mg one day and 2.5 mg the other day? 

• Posted

I have not tried to alternate 5/ 2.5. When I got down to 2.5 my insomnia hit the 3rd night . First 2 nights I fell asleep but slept interrupted and woke up early like 4-5 am. The third night it got worse and I could not fall asleep at all until I took some melatonin. Tell me when you try again what your plan in and if you succeed. At this time I think only decreasing gradually with 1/10 increments decrease works. I have not tried it yet, but its my only hope it will work whenever I will try again.
    • Posted

What do you mean by 1/10 increments decrease? I might suggest it to my consultant and try it myself. 
    • Posted

That's what I read the company that makes it recommends. Decrease by 1/10 every 2 weeks or so. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Clara, a word of caution... melatonin can be very  detrimental. It is a hormone and can alter your system substantially. I. Realize you’re trying to solve a problem with it, but I went through that with my mother and at one point she was taking 5mg of melatonin to sleep and she couldn’t even get up in the morning. People mistakenly think that melatonin doesn’t have side effects because it’s “natural” and OTC. It does, and it can really mess up you brain chemistry.
    • Posted

The one in Utah is very expensive and they told me they can't deal with violence?  So how can they do withdrawal programs for Olanzapine when a lot of people become aggressive during the withdrawal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.