Olanzapine Withdrawal

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi all,

After reading most of the posts on here, I decided to write my current experience while I realise some of the posts' age on here vary between nine months to three years, but I hope that someone can hear my shout and give me a hand. 

I was put on Olanzapine back in June after trying a different medication for my paranoia and after an admission to hospital. 

The initial dose was 5 mg then increased to 10 mg as the lower dose did not work on the paranoia. 

Towards the end of March this year, 2017, I reduced the dose to 5 mg wrongly, not knowing that I should have done 7.5 first to avoid the horrible withdrawal symptoms.

At first, I thought everything was fine, the for the last two weeks, I started to feel depressed, lost interest in everything, got headaches, diarrhoea, strong vivid memories to when I was patronised, disrespected and put down by people. The worst of all are the violent and suicidal thoughts I have had during all this.   

I would like to hear from those who had similar experiences with such symptoms and how long does it last? 

Also, it will be helpful to know what is the best withdrawal plan from now on, shall I go for 2.5 gm after few months? Or shall I alternate between 5 mg and 2.5 mg for few weeks then go down to 2.5?

I am desperate to hear from people, so PLEASE help. 

3 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Utopia  for 11 years I was taking Olanzapine 5.mg  I read the horror stories and saw my doctor.   My medication was for reduced from 5.mg to 2.5 mg for three weeks and now I take 2.5mg every other night  at present I feel like I have mild electric shock through out my body and have had an absence which is distressing  I am worried about the side effects  While on this medication I have suffered a stroke and septic shock which nearly killed me  I feel that I need to get of this which is distressing 

• Posted

Hello Catherine I was given Olanzapine 5mg for 11 years after having had electric shock treatments for severe depression Recently I started to question my medication after the stroke and spectic shock that I had whilst in Benidorm   I was critically ill in hospital in Benidorm  and after three weeks was transferred from  Benidorm to UK  in a medical plane to  to UK hospital where I also in intensive care and then developed pneumonia at the time the doctors stated that I should not have been traveled as I was in no fit state.   I had a 25% survival rate.    During my time in hospital in Benidorm I was not given olanzapine and was in a dreadful state mentally  severe anxiety especially in a foreign   country I could not speak Spanish  my medical bill amounted to over £100 thousand pounds  I was in a dreadful state. Prior to septic shock I suffered a stroke which affected my brain and mobility  I am now physically and mentally disabled   After researching Olanzapine I was horrified in what I found I went to see my doctor to state that I wanted to come off this drug  He asked me why? I told him that I had researched this drug and I firmly believe that Olanzapine is the cause of my disabilities  My doctor did not refute my reasoning   I am now trying very hard to withdraw  I feel very angry with the medical profession for giving my this drug in the first place    Please do not take this drug under any circumstances  Hope this information helps  kind regards from Margaret

• Posted

Hello Catherine  further to my response to you regarding my experiencing Olanzapine  I forgot to mention  that apart from septic shock and stroke I also have to cathertise as I cannot pass urine and once again I put this  down to Olanzapine   kind regards and wish you well from Margaret
    • Posted

Hi Margaret, just saw this. My mother's battled kidney and UTIs. Could be related. She seems to have an unnatural ability to hold urin in. Over time, she seems to be peeing more normally, though still infrequent compared to a normal person.

• Posted

Hi Utopia,

I am in different circumstances than most as my diagnosis changed from paranoid delusional/psychotic (or close to that) to bipolar.

I got a change of medication with the change of diagnosis, I now had 1000mg Epilim daily as well as 5mg Olanzapine which was reduced to 2.5 mg

Research showed that in bipolar, Olanzapine was only used to control manic episodes, NOT every day, so I stopped taking it, cold turkey

I felt like crap for quite awhile,.BUT now I am through that and I have my mind and my life back.

Having said that, I echo what every one else says: taper off gradually.

Olanzapine really is an evil drug.

Best of luck, and stay safe

• Posted

How long were you on Olanzapine for? How long did it take for withdrawals to go away?

I am 11 and a half weeks off Olanzapine, I was on it for nearly two years.  I feel a lot better but withdrawals were herendous, anxiety, insomnia, depression, irritability, loss of appetite, hot and cold temp, headaches, diarrheoa, nausea........ 

I agree it should not be taken every day!!

I am glad to be off this drug!!

Kind regards, Bridget.

• Posted

bruce47310,are you experiencing dreams and sleep disturbance due to olanzapine cold turkey?How is your sleep now?
    • Posted

Hi Bridget-

How are you doing now?  I’m 25 days off and having all of the withdrawal symptoms that you mentioned.  I was only on it for a month and just keep thinking that it has to get better.  I can’t believe that only having been on it for one month caused all of the heartache!

• Posted

I'm 18 weeks off olanzapine now and am in a much better place.  But some days are crappy still (depression, anxiety, hot/cold temp, hang over feeling).  I guess because you were only on them for a month your withdrawals should not last too long but you never know.  Sleep is the worst part for me, I wake at 4.30am and don't sleep until about 11pm.  But my weight is good, appetite is back to normal, mind is clear except when I get headaches, so you take the good with the bad.  Best of luck with staying off this poison.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It will test you, mentally, physically, spiritually, emotionally......Be strong!

• Posted

How are you doing Heather?  I feel your frustration.  I was only on it for 2 months and can't believe the amount of stress and anxiety withdrawing from this drug has caused.  I have read that this is deliberate to prevent people coming off this terrible drug and am hopeful to read and hear more success stories.

• Posted

I made it off. On 2.5 for 5 months. Tapered for 2 months then stopped. All fine for 5 weeks then withdrawals. Now 18 weeks off and doing ok. I am on 3 other meds which i want off.
    • Posted

Hi Heather-

I have been reading everything I can for days and you are the closest to the length of time my 19 year son has been on this horrible drug. He was recently in the hospital for suicide ideation. First time ever! He has never drank, taken meds, illegal drugs, ect. They sent him home on 3 meds. This is one of them. 3 weeks in, we went back to the doctor and told him he was terribly ill. He said keep taking them. At day 29, he was miserable. Anxiety-never had before, nausea, tremors. After reading these horror stories, we have made an appointment with a different doctor. We can't get in right away. We were told to half the dose and give it every other night for three nights then stop. Can you please tell me what type of withdrawal you experienced after 1 month on them? How did you quit taking? How long has the withdrawal lasted?

• Posted

Hi Melissa,

I'm so sorry that he's going through this!  What other meds have they put him on?  I will say that I didn't have many side effects from taking the medication other than being extremely hungry all of the time (one of the most common side effects is weight gain).  

My doctor switched my medication so I was essentially taken of cold turkey.  Olanzapine has a fairly long half life.  I didn't start noticing much until about 10 days off.  Starting at that point my sleep decreased from about 7 hours a night to rarely getting 1-2 hours.  I was taking it for chronic migraines having never suffered from anxiety / depression / or suicidal thoughts.  I started having all of it plus constant sweating, tremors, nausea, lethargy and nerve pain.  I would finally fall asleep after 1.5 of laying in bed and would wake up 45 minutes later with severe burning on my arms, hands and chest.  From what I've read, it's your brain and central nervous system repairing itself.  I almost went to the ER a few times but didn't because I didn't know what to do.  My neurologist wanted me to go back on and then follow a similar schedule to what your sons' doctor has said.  I was already off of it for two weeks and never wanted to touch it again.  I was pretty sick for about 5 weeks and slowly got better.  My sleep still isn't great and I can't fall asleep during the day if I try to take a nap, but I take melatonin and benadryll or zzquil to help along with magnesium supplements.

It sounds like your son is sensitive to the medication already so I would be weary of taking him off of it so quickly and look to taper at a much slower rate.  If I had to do it again, I would definitely go that route.  What is his dose?

• Posted

melissa check surviving antidepressants forum for olanzapine taler. or you can tell me how much mg of olanzapine your son on. so that i can guide you proper tapering method
    • Posted

give him 7.5 mg for four weeks, 5 mg four weeks, 2.5 mg four weeks. then buy 2.5 mg tablets and buy tablet cutter online. At lower doses you need to be careful so make 2.5 mg four equal parts by using tablet cutter and give 3 pieces 4 weeks 2 pieces 4 weeks 1 piece 4 weeks , then 1 piece every other day 4 weeks, then stop.
    • Posted

Hi Heather,

Thank you so much for your reply. He was in the hospital just to keep him from self harm and to start a mild antidepressant to help as he began counseling. The doctors at the hospital that did not know him nor listen to his counselor, placed him on 10 mg Zyprexa, 20 mg of Celexa, and Buspirone. This for a kid that had never had anything stronger than a Tylenol. He is just a shell of the sweet young man that we had a month ago. We have successfully attained help to get him of the meds. He has had an adverse reaction along with now withdrawal. I am new a learning all of this. We are staying with him around the clock. He has been throwing up, tremors, constant anxiety that never lets up, some irrational thinking, some blank stares like he is not even in the room. It is heartbreaking but we will do everything we can to help him get through this! I appreciate you sharing your experience! It helps me understand the symptoms as we go through the withdrawals.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.