OLP Systematic Treatmant

Posted , 8 users are following.

How many of you had  systematic treatment for Oral Lichen Planus ?,can you share your experience please .Thanks Maria

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Maria, what is systematic treatment? I have had some steroid treatment without much success
    • Posted

Hi Christine , thanks for reply,My OLP spread very bad so I thinking about immunosuppressant ...How is yours OLP now? Thanks Maria.
  • Posted

You might like to consider this issue from the US National Library fro Biotechnology Information with your physician, which relates to a study of OLP and allergy to dental amalgam fillings. It only applies in very specific cases, so I understand, but in my case after more than 20 years of terrible OLP, I had all my amalgam fillings replaced last year and my OLP disappeared almost immediately. I have been free of it for about nine months now.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15611418

• Posted

Thanks Michael ,I will replace my too ,my first patch was next to dental amalgam filings 6 months ago,now is widespread.
    • Posted

Hi Michael, I am so happy to hear this. As I have a biological dental appointment soon. I have 2 remaining silver fillings and 5 root canals. I hope to get relief after having these removed! All the root canals were silver fillings also and were not removed properly so I’m sure I had heavy metal contamination from them also. So glad to hear your Olp is better👍🏼

• Posted

Hi Michael, that's amazing that you were able to get to the cause if yiur OLP. What type of dental material did the dentist replace the amalgam fillings?

Thanks

• Posted

They were replaced with resin fillings. By coincidence I just got back from the dentist after my routine six monthly check-up. He says he can still see some very feint traces of the white spidery lines of OLP, but I have had no pain, no soreness, no mouth ulcers for a year now. The amalgam fillings were removed over four sessions and the OLP started to reduce after the first and was gone by the last. Word of warning, all the literature I have read says the link is only found where the OLP lesions are very closely aligned to the amalgam fillings. In my case I had a line of lesions in each side of my cheeks and all along both sides of my tongue, that is precisely aligned with the fillings in my molars. I never ever had a lesion in my throat or at the front of my mouth, foe example. So, I think I was a perfect case. I just wish I'd known that 20 years ago. The good news is also that the resin fillings are white, so when I laugh I no longer look like the bad guy in a James Bond movie. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing Michael. My dentist has told me that I di have the white spidery lines in my mouth. I am now going to do the dental panel patch test. I also have lichen planus on hands, lower back, face, could this happen due to metal sensitivity? I am also on high blood pressure meds and am not able to stop them. I'm not sure what else to do. The spots keep increasing in new areas.

• Posted

Michael, that is an interesting thing, I am sure I heard that somewhere else too, I will ask next time I see the consultant.

Maria, mine is no too bad at the moment but has been worse. I see a consultant about 3-4 times a year just so he can keep a check on it. I make sure I use sensodine toothpaste and visit the hygienist every 3-4 months as brushing can make my mouth sore and I like to make sure I keep my mouth clean. I have tried some steroid treatment as I said, it probably helps a little just to take the worse away but you can only use it for a couple of weeks at a time. Worth an ask, if you want I can check to see what I was prescribed?

• Posted

Thank you Christine I think my tongue is the biggest problem,before tongue was effected I didn’t have any symptoms.
  • Posted

My tongue is very dry and pale in colour, also my sense of taste is not as good as before. How has it affected your tongue?
    • Posted

My tongue is affected on both sides and under ,cheeks from front up to the throat ,gums,plate lips inside and out ,and still spreading ,so scary.
    • Posted

Hi Maria,

Do you see anyone about it? I see a consultant every 3-4 months just so he can evaluate the condition

• Posted

Yes I’m under oral surgery I get steroid mouth wash for 4 weeks ,but not working for me  I have  next apartment in 3 weeks time in Manchester .
  • Posted

Hi, I went on methotrexate for 18 months. I recently went off it as the topical ointment seemed to be having more impact and wanted to check if I needed it. Took a while but I started getting whole body inflammation. Had no major side effects from it, other than a tad bloated and more prone to getting upset stomach. Back on now, and sleepier, but I know from eXperience it’ll pass.
    • Posted

20mg , once a week . Can give me n upset stomach when  take it. But worth it
    • Posted

You can ask for injections, I think is better for stomach,my 12 yers old son was on 20 mg in 9 months , but he was struggling with side effects....Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.