Omeprazole or something else

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all,

I ams o confused with all the things I am reading about Omeprazole. I have never suffered from any problems with acid/reflux untill 3 months ago. I started out with bloating and feeling sick, then awful reflux. Then It whent to awful pain in my upper adomen and feeling sick after eating. I started on 20mg of omeprazole and after 2 weeks after still struggling my doctor upped it to 40MG. After a few more weeks I started to feel some relief and I felt confident things were improving. I then whent down to 20mg again as i was feeling that 40mg was making me feel what I can only discribe as dried out. I was going okay then went 3 steps back with having reflux again. I started 40mg again a few days ago and i have noticed some foods are making me worse. I tested negative for celiac disease but i am testing removing gluten. I am finding after keeping a food journal that dairy products are making me feel worse. 

I have been questioning if omeprazole are now casuing me additional problems. My doctor wouldnt have it..he said if i tried a lower dose he beleives I will get worse. He may well be right, but i cant help feeling that i am expereincing other things than when I started with it. The doctor thinks I have a duodenal ulcer. I have an endoscopy on sept! It seems ages away when trying to get hrough each day battling with these symtoms. 

What other things can you try with it, can you try ranitidine? Or gaviscon? It says on the pack nothing. Its hard I dont want to expereince this build up of acid everyone is talking about.

Any ideas would be fantastic,thank you 

sarah 

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarah. Most people get some sort of side effect - the majority get headaches or cramps in the stomach but there are other things too. If you try to suddenly stop taking them you can get side effects because of coming off too quicky. They are a proton pump inhibitor 1 and there are other ones you can take in the same family of drugs which would maybe be better . Sometimes they give you proton pump inhibitors 2 instead, they sort of work in a simlar way. It is never wise to take them for years and it is always best to take minerals and vitamins because they deplete the vitamin b 12 and minerals etc in your system.
  • Posted

Hi thank you for your comment,  I would never take them for years, I am three months in so by the time i go to the hosital it will be five. It's hard to know what to do with out a proper diagnosis. I do know for a few weeks I was feeling better and now I feel more restricted. 
    • Posted

Yes you do need a proper diagnosis otherwise you are whistling in the wind. But the medication is much the same for many of those illnesses anyway.
  • Posted

Hi there Sarah

Firstly, really sorry to hear of your problems. Reflux is horrible! 

Some people hate ppis and some swear by them. I'm taking mine because I have a damaged oesophagus. They seemed to help at first but arent completely sorting the problem for me. Doctors seem to think that they are the answer to everything! What you might have experienced when cutting down was acid rebound. It's temporary - your body just over compensating for a while, so it may be worth persevering if you want to cut down and make lifestyle changes. 

Have you tried raising the head of your bed on bricks or books? That helped me before I started the tablets, as did a spoon of Gaviscon Advance after meals and at beftime. I also cut right down on caffeine and upped the water I was drinking. Oh and not eating at least two hours before bed. Try a few of these things to see if they help. All free and relatively easy to do. 

Ppis have their place, but to be honest, I kind of wish I'd never started mine. I had started to feel better by the time I had my endoscopy. 

Sure there will be people along later who will hand out sound advice. Choose what's best for you. Reflux is quite a personal thing. Good luck x

• Posted

Stella is right, when you stop taking ppis your stomach becomes flooded with acid again for the first time and has to get over the shock and adjust to it. Unfortunately doctors usually do not understand this and a lot of patients take this to mean that they still need the ppis. Cutting down on caffeine is a good thing. Reflux is different for everyone so when people bang on about don't eat this and that they are telling you how it is for them and assuming you are the same.
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your response. I have not tried raising my head i will try that. I love the mornings as when i first wake up i feel great, its after the first bit of food that the symtoms show, which i supose in a strange way makes me feel better that if i woke up feeling this bad i would be more worried. I will persist witht he one and see how I go. I would like to take gaviscon but will check with the gp if this is okay. I am not drinking caffine, or having any thing spicy. My diet is extremely bland! I agree doctors do think they are the answer to everything, but my doctor doesnt entertain the idea of these side effects. That's why i am cautious about continuing on 40 mg a day. I dont have the problems that I started with so wondered if the higher dose has caused more harm than good. I am sure I will get there, thanks again x
    • Posted

If you take a good multi vitamin and mineral which includes calcium and a good amount of magnesium then you wont get mostor all of the side effects that can buld up with ppis.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah, deffo ask about the Gavisvon Advance. It's not got any medicines in it - it's made from seaweed and forms a layer on top of your stomach contents so in theory the only thing that refluxes is the Gaviscon Advance. Mine was prescribed by my GP and my consultant. It even says on the bottle that it helps with acid rebound. At the moment it's the only thing keeping me sane as I'm having a terrible flare up. Much cheaper on prescription than buying it over the counter. Forgot to add to my list of stuff to do - try sitting up straight for half an hour after meals. That helps too x 
    • Posted

It's quite OK to take Gaviscon. Just avoid taking it two hours either side of your PPI.
    • Posted

I think that's just the gaviscon with antacids. This is fine whenever as it doesn't interact with anything 
    • Posted

From the Gaviscon web site:

Yes, you can take Gaviscon® with other medications. Similar to antacids, however, Gaviscon® should not be taken within 2 hours of other medications"

Also:

if you have taken Gaviscon® for more than two weeks, or if your symptoms return. If you require additional information, please call us at 1-888-366-7475.... US number"

" However, do not take Gaviscon® if you suffer from kidney disease, except under your doctor’s advice"

• Posted

Is that the Gaviscon Advance alginate or the double action. The double action is an antacid. The Advance alginate is fine. Been taking it for months on dr and consultants orders. My bottle doesn't say anything about other meds. Just says it's for reflux, hernia and acid rebound. I think you may have looked at the wrong stuff. I know there are two kinds.
    • Posted

It applies to each. Double action is the original PLUS an antacid.

Go to the Gaviscon UK website.

Just don't expect your doctors to know everything:-

• Posted

I never do, Derek. I'm just going off my own experiences and the product information on my bottle that's stood in the kitchen smile 
    • Posted

The bottle does not tell you much and usually the pharmacy label covers a lot of it:-)
    • Posted

Oh not on the bottle but the peel back bit where it gives the user information and drug interactions. 
    • Posted

My new bottle does not have a peel back. Can't remembr if previous ones did.
    • Posted

Aah, then it must be different as I only picked mine up from the chemist a couple of days ago. Anyway, I feel we're taking up a lot of space with this discussion. 

You say one thing and I say another. It's a shame you can't send a link to where you found the page that says not to take it within two hours of an antacid. I don't see that when I go on the gaviscon page, so I'm going off what my GI consultant, the GI Registrar and my GP have told me and what I can see with my own eyes on the peel back ( and all of my bottles have had this and I've been taking it for 5 months). 

I think best thing is to both do what we feel is right and leave Sarah to make her own mind up, or ask advice from her doctor or pharmacist.

• Posted

Just Google, Gaviscon and you will get .com for USA and .UK for us.

I've been taking it for at least 12 years.

I think that you may be downing too much of it. Perhaps another medication will do more for you. Ever try Bisodol tablets or Pepto-Bismol Liquid Suspension?

Note:Alginates:

Some antacids also contain a medicine called an alginate. This helps relieve indigestion caused by acid reflux.

Acid reflux occurs when stomach acid leaks back up into your oesophagus and irritates its lining. Alginates form a foam barrier that floats on the surface of your stomach contents, keeping stomach acid in your stomach and away from your oesophagus.

Your GP may suggest that you take an antacid that contains an alginate if you experience symptoms of acid reflux or if you have gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD).

Take antacids containing alginates after eating, because this helps the medicine stay in your stomach for longer. If you take alginates on an empty stomach, they will leave your stomach too quickly to be effective.

• Posted

Hi Derek, thanks for the post but it's not my gaviscon!The gaviscon advance I take is an alginate only. The only ingredients are sodium alginate and potassium hydrogen carbonate. There is no antacid component. I only take it after meals, so never on an empty stomach.  I take 5-7 spoons a day. The maximum reccommended by Gaviscon is 80ml.

When I cut back on the gaviscon I had a mojor flare up of my lpr as I believe there is a non acid component to my reflux and the GA is the only thing that physically stops all reflux. When I went back to my normal dose my symptoms stabilised.Please read 'advancing the role of pepsin in extra oesophageal reflux'. There are also other studies that cite it as effective for extra oesophageal reflux. As I say NO antacid component, like the dual action gaviscon or the gaviscon available in the US. The potassium is what makes it react with the acid in your stomach to form the raft. 

• Posted

Sorry, article is called 'reflux revisited, advancing the role of pepsin' page 9 point. 8.3 
    • Posted

Yes, in the UK and that's the stuff I use. The one with only two ingredients. Bisodol and pepto bismol are both antacids with alginates in, so not for me.
    • Posted

Interesting not to take Gaviscon on an empty stomach. I sometimes take some during the night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.