Omeprazole rebound symptoms in IBS sufferer

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Anyone out there with IBS and LPR who has taken omeprazole and has come off this drug.  If so what were your rebound symptoms?  Were they different or worse because of the IBS.  If omeprazole it taken for Gerd and heartburn is the main problem then I know that rebound symptom is worse heartburn often lasting a few weeks.  I have never really had heartburn which is typical of LPR (not diagnosed going by throat symptoms).  I now have rebound symptoms from omeprazole after 7/8 weeks use.  They are bloated acidy stomach,burping,indigestion feels like you want to burp and sometimes feeling sick but no heartburn as before.  I am taking gavscon advance and for the last 24 hours have gone back on ranitidine although not pleased about this.  I have ordered some DGL licorice as I have heard it is good.  Apart from this I take meberverine for the IBS and other medication for various health problems.  I am 67.  Just wondered what are the range of rebound symptoms and how long did they last etc.  Bad enough having IBS with out extra problems.  I should add that I suffer from anxiety especially health anxiety so that does not help matters.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there never herd of that before i was on omeprazol for years and i didnt notice a difference untill the beginging of this year now take the ones that beging with L sound like omperazol as well but im ok but withall my otherproblems wouldnt of noticed any affect 

love and peace always

Cherl

• Posted

Lansoprazole?? Is this drug better. My dads on this and says its better than Omeprazole but when I said this to  doctor he said theres no difference... 

x

• Posted

You sound like me.. Im undergoing CBT for anxiety related to food and my panics about reoccuring  hospitalisation and I know that the anxiety around food only makes eating so much harder because you dont know whats gonna cause an issue. Im 21 and Ive been on omeprazole for about 4 years now. I dont think some people ever can come off of it completely and just have to take it until it clears or if and when it occurs. My dad and my grandparents suffer too.Genetics. sad Aditionally Im also on mebeverine like you. Amazing drug but after being on it for so long I found its started to loose some of its amazment. Ive been testing out this new medication call Silicol Gel which can be brought at most health food stores. Only been on it for over a week but already im seeing improvments. Only have to occasionally take Omeprazole during bad flares and havent needed a single mebeverine although sometimes i take a buscopan (which is generally the same but a bit weaker) or some wind settlers before bed. Havent needed to reach for the painkillers either. So far, Im highly recommending it. Research it first and let me know what you think. IBS has definatly put a halt in my life and im hoping ive found a drug that works. Its nice to be able to eat again too. Even if it is just small amounts and generally bland foods. Its allowing me to slowly introduce food again and im able to even enjoy eating occasionally because i dont feel like absolute crap afterwards. 

Additionally though, if youre not doing so already, monitor what you eat. If your not on an IBS diet and you suffer servly then maybe you should try one. I know all types of tips for these symptoms but its trial and error and you hve to find wht works for you. I can pass on this info if you like but i dont really want to tell you stuff you probably already know if youve been suffering for a while.

Good luck and all the best. smile

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies.  To cherl450  the rebound symptoms if you stop taking omeprazole or other PPI's are not mentioned on the leaflet you get with them or by gps.  I only got to know about them on the Reflux forum.  I think GPs are now realising that they should not be taken long term because of the long term affects.  I know many have to take them long term so don't want to frighten anyone.  My husband takes them as a stomach protector because he uses nsaids for arthritic pain.  I do worry about it but he as regualr checks with the gp.  Some people don't have problems coming off them but many do.  You are supposed to wean yourself off not just stop.  I did this but obviously not slowly enough.  Obviously I don't want to tell anyone what they should or should not do and you should always check with your gp and do what is best for the individual.  I have never been offered lansoprazole only omeprazole.  To cub22  I am lucky that my IBS is no where nearly as bad as others I have read about and I feel for them even though I do have flare up to suffer all the time must be awful.  It is the reflux problem that causes more problems with foods not really the IBS except for obvious things like very hot and spicy food which I don't eat anyway.  I have altered my diet and have lost a stone (I need to lose more)  I don't now eat tomatoes,orange juice or citrus fruit and have cut right back on chocolate and tea drinking mostly green decaffeinate tea now. I also drink high alkaline water.  I don't like coffee so no problem missing that like many.  What I really am interested in knowing is from 

those who have stopped their PPI did you get rebound and what symptoms did you get apart from heartburn if any.  I am trying to work out whether or not my symptoms are rebound made worse by IBS and anxiety or whether I need to go back to gp for tests (endoscopy or throat scope).  I was supposed to have a barium swallow just to put my mind at rest but I cancelled it because of the after effects of constipation which with IBS frightened me.  I know some will say I was silly but I could not face it and was getting in a state over what would happen.  I would not be able to get any tests done until next year and I am worried because I am due to go away for a few dates next month and then there is Christmas.  Sorry to moan on.  If you have any tips then they would be most welcome.  

• Posted

Should have said I came off the omeprazole because they upset the IBS and caused constipation.
    • Posted

Hello just thought id mention.. Cheese makes my reflux bad, but natural/bio yogurt helps. Milk is meant to help some people but I just dont like it. try a spoon or two of yogurt before a meal its meant to help. Maybe that is something to consider.

As for the test id say do it. Its ok to be scared. Ive had it done and afterwards i had very loose stools for about 24 hours but it wasnt like constantly needing the loo. Took about 3ish days to regulate to what I would consider normal. Good thing you dont like coffee because thats my downfall haha. Im not sure what the long term effects of omeprazole are apart from magnezium deficentcy. but im trying to get off of it anyway, Seriously, try silicol gel with your prescribed meds if you want as you can take both together (just read the instructions first) and then hopefully you will be able to come off them easier. You can only take the silicol gel for a month then youre meant to stop and apparently be all cured (im sceptical) but if not you always have your other pills to fall back on. x 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as users can Google the name to find out more information.

• Posted

Ive sent a response its being moderated because i attached a link .. so hope you will get that soon.  also ive tried things like Mallox. works well for heartburn and sometimes fiboegel drinks or benefibre can help. All of which is shop brought. These are just some things ive tried and theyve not all worked but they might work for you. 

Good luck

• Posted

Hi,  Yes like you I have a problem with cheese even lower fat type so I have not been eating it (shame one of my favourites).  It does not affect the IBS just the reflux.  I have learnt over the years not to have too much of any one food.  Will look into silcol gel if DGl does not work for me.  I have made an appointment for gp next Monday first I could get.  Thanks for your kind words and Good luck and have a good Christmas.
  • Posted

This Web site has excellent info

The folders listed are : Home Well Being….Health Information

Click Health Information

Choose the alphabetical “ I” for IBS

Click IBS (should be the very first)

Under symptoms/treatment you’ll find some “ideas” for your

“bloating, burping, gas” etc….when one suggestion doesn’t work..try another.

Claudio

• Posted

About DGL

Recall you have multi things goings on..thus when to take?

Before, during, between, meals? Think you should “tinker” to

Find what’s best for you.one at a time... No one knows your stomach better than you.

Think too you mentioned gastroparesis? (slow emptying)

Keep in mind fruits high in pectin slows emptying…

Fruits like pear are low in pectin, but most others are acidic, and many say these are not reflux helpful...a few haven't a problem...

Claudio

• Posted

A few things waiting for DGL licorice to arrive, son in law swears by it

so going to give it a try.

Re gastroparesis no have not had that diagnosed.  Omeprazole caused constipation but now getting back to normal since stopping them.

Fruits I find pears which as you say are low in pectin fine.  I don't eat apples very much but do find them a bit indigestible so might be because they are high in pectin.  Apart from that I don't often eat bananas, but eat peaches,nectarines and plums and avoid all citrus.  If I run out of fresh food before shopping day I always have on standby tinned fruit in fruit juice which I have always found no problem as far as IBS in concerned.

With LPR there is the fruit juice so higher ph I assume but what I do is rinse the fruit and no problems so far.

Carol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.