Omeprazole rebound symptoms in IBS sufferer

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Anyone out there with IBS and LPR who has taken omeprazole and has come off this drug.  If so what were your rebound symptoms?  Were they different or worse because of the IBS.  If omeprazole it taken for Gerd and heartburn is the main problem then I know that rebound symptom is worse heartburn often lasting a few weeks.  I have never really had heartburn which is typical of LPR (not diagnosed going by throat symptoms).  I now have rebound symptoms from omeprazole after 7/8 weeks use.  They are bloated acidy stomach,burping,indigestion feels like you want to burp and sometimes feeling sick but no heartburn as before.  I am taking gavscon advance and for the last 24 hours have gone back on ranitidine although not pleased about this.  I have ordered some DGL licorice as I have heard it is good.  Apart from this I take meberverine for the IBS and other medication for various health problems.  I am 67.  Just wondered what are the range of rebound symptoms and how long did they last etc.  Bad enough having IBS with out extra problems.  I should add that I suffer from anxiety especially health anxiety so that does not help matters.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Libralady

Oh we could have a long discussion.  I worry about my health so much and develop a new condition almost every week.  One thing clears up and another comes up and I dwell on it and obscess about it.  My best friend in Florida won't even let me talk about medical issues with her anymore cause she wants me to refocus.  She is right but its so hard when you are down and out to be positive.  What is LPR?  The IBS is a rough one.  I have interstitial cystitis (inflammation of the bladder) and that was difficult to get under control.  My diet is so bland because if the IC and now the cramping of the IBS, well the last thing I want to do is eat.  Gas all the time cramping.  I heard once you get it you never get rid of it.  This is a horror!  I am 64 and glad to meet you.  I don't know about the Omeprazole withdrawal symptoms.  I am on pantaprazole for the past few months.  the doc wants me to wean off.  Every other day then every 2 days and then done.  I haven't started to stop as yet but I am going to try.  The less pills the better.  Take care and write soon

• Posted

Hello Sorry to hear you are suffering so much.  Are you in the USA or UK like me?  I know what you mean about talking about medical issues my husband gets fed up with me as well.  My daugher is a a great help but she thinks I need to focus on other things.  It is difficult as you say especially if you have health issues which cause symptoms which are there to remind you everyday.  I try to be positive but it is very hard.

You ask what LPR is well you will know about acid reflux it is similar but less well known and not recognised by a lot of the medical profession.

LPR or silent reflux as it is known is different in that it does not cause the usual heartburn symptoms of reflux but affects the throat and vocal chords causing hoarseness throat clearing and awful throat mucus and other problems.  I have not been diagnosed with it just think from what I have read on the Reflux forum that is what it is.  My GP admits I have the symptoms but just thinks it is all reflux.  Going back to the IBS you seem to be suffering badly.  Have you had it a long time.  I have had it for nearly 5 years, but I suspect I may have had it mildly for years. Having had periods of mild bowel problems.  I think mine was bought on by anxiety caused by various things happening in my life.  I do have flare ups which are not nice but thankfully don't suffer as badly as you.

It is a horrible condition and yes I think it stays with you for life.  I have heard about interstitial cystitis and that must be awful.  I have had normal cysitis  2 or 3 times over the years and that was bad enough. I am glad you have it under control.  With regard to the pantaprazole just make sure you come off very slowly.  You might be lucky and not get any rebound symptoms.  Nothing is said about this on the leaflet.  I found out on the Reflux forum.  You might want to take a look. Like me you already have a sensitive stomach so you don't want to aggrevate it any more.  The less pills the better you are right.  At our age we want to focus on enjoying the years we have left not thinking about health all the time but I know how you feel each day.  Hope to hear from you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.