OMG! Atrophic Vaginitis what can we do?

Posted , 9 users are following.

This is an outrage! In the space of 2 months my life is now dominated by my vagina! daily viewing and decisions about how to achieve comfort. I can't believe it's SO uncomfortable...didn't see this coming..why don't we know more about it? Why are the solutions available so rubbish! It's progression is rapid. I can still have sex with very little problem, in fact masterbating and full vagina intercourse can relieve it. Thank you so much for everyone's posts, I've used all your ideas, coconut oil is a live saver, comes everywhere with me. ovules from Stress no more also okay. But now I'm on vagifem after becoming desperate and it eased at first but then today, day 4 it's red and sore. I've read lots of articles and aparently best results come in month 3-6. Also in these medical reports they say be sexually active, with your partner, with a device or solo....pelvic floor exercises too. Goodness...that's the sum of my research. What a nightmare! 

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Susan I laughed outloud when i read your post because i too am obsessed with my vagina.  I tried various remedies and although i think the yes products are amazing it takes all the spontaneity out of sex with my husband.  Luckily he too is amazing and we can laugh at how i have to prepare myself!! I have tried the natural products and although they are quite good i have gone back on the vagifem for a short while because if you perservere it does help.  I also have lichen sclerousus so i have to use cream on that also.  I have certain days for certain things and if i didnt laugh i would cry.  So you are not alone in your vagina taking over your life.  Hang in there.
    • Posted

Hi Jackie

I hadn't anticipated the comfort I would get from people's response to my post. Thank you so much, yes day 5 is better. 

• Posted

Hello Susan,

I know the subject is serious, but you are hilarious. Your sense of humour will save you! It reminds me of my situation when the postman could have had a better bet with a mad dog than me. The dryness caused me to scratch, twitch and attack anything vaguely male.I must look like an old dog. I now ply myself with olive oil, coconut oil (I actually have a large glass of coconut water every morning) all of which helps to aliviate dryness in various parts of the body. I have a Meditarranean diet that uses plentiful olive oil which I love, so every little bit of lubrication helps. But most of all I keep laughing, like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

• Posted

Thanks Lulu, I'll take your advice on diet and drinking the coconut water. Nice one!

• Posted

I was diagnosed with vaginal atrophy 12 years ago. Sex was so painful I couldn't bear it & now is impossible.  My gyn was giving me testosterone shots monthly, which were a huge help.  Now that I've moved, I cannot get a doctor to give any shot of testoserone; they say it is too dangerous and has side effects.  Vagifem, premarin, the vaginal rings...nothing has helped me. I bleed just inserting the vagifem!!!!  I am ordering the ovules in hopes of some moisture and relief.  Why isn't a doctor on this web site to help???  There must be something or some physician that has an answer!
    • Posted

All we do is go around in B.....y circles trying to get it gone .Today I've sent off for these ovules ,hope to get them by at least Friday ,wish I'd sent off weeks ago now ,dumb or what .

I look at women who pass me by in the street and wonder are you suffering in silence ,and who haven't got a comp to get other females to get help from.Has anyone noticed you now no longer can eat certain foods without getting jippy tum ,I can no longer eat tomatoes ,strawberrys ,pineapple ,certain nuts peanuts or peanut oil ,even down to the smells of certain things ,find this weird ,never had that problem prior .

Hope we all if poss try what Jay has said ,maybe just maybe the answer to end of it .I agree would be good if a female menopausal dr in meno could get up on this site and help out .Got to be some in this situation all females end of day ,maybe there struggling .Who knows ? So Jays been our best resource to date ,done the homework .

• Posted

Marcy...thank you for your reply..have you tried coconut oil? I like it because it's easy to carry around. I carry it in plastic bags in small pieces ready to pop in at any opportunity. I even popped some in at the side of the road on a trip in the country recently. I was so desperate I couldn't wait until the next loo appeared! As it's solid until it reaches the body it's easier to manage than the other lubricants. I went on holiday recently and packed three spoonfuls for each day of a 10 day holiday. Luckily my bag went in the hold. Imagine explaing that to a security guard! It's organic by the way and no odour but can be messy, need to watch your clothes.
    • Posted

Hi Marlene 

I agree, I look at women and imagine asking them. I'm a red head, don't know if that means you're more likley to get it? Think I read that somewhere. What's really isolating is not knowing anyone else in my circle yet it's supposed to be so prevallent. In fact I've not talked to all my close friends. I'm a really open person but this is something that's making me feel very vulnerable. That's why this forum is so good. I don't have the food issues yet but I expect it's only a matter of time!

• Posted

Too true! I had an oily patch on my clothes which could have been embarrassing!

• Posted

since I'm putting more creams, lubricants and vitamine E capsules inside me I have resorted to the slim, wafer thin panty liners!!  So much more comfortable!!
  • Posted

Thank you to everyone for replying to me. I think Women's Hour should do a piece on this. I feel it's equivalent in it's impact on our sense of our sexuality as penile disfunction is for men. I don't know anyone with that problem but I'm sure it's no joke. I have zero tolerance of joking about this with my partner, I'm too sore and too sad and in shock and alarmed. Had to knock that on the head quite early on. I can joke with you guys though! Keep them coming!
  • Posted

Hi ladies I totally agree with all your comments I too am obsessed with my vagina is it sore is it raw is it ok today. . Who would have thought w would be having these questions ? I too look at other women and wonder if they are comfortable and ok ir in pain and miserable like us. I envy happy smily faces and feel very let down by the medical profession. I am also waiting for s diagnosis of LS more joy is heaped on my head!!! Plus the indignity of showing your delicate bits to all and sundry. Slapping cream on ordering more creams from Amazon I remember shopping for other things in a dim and distant past. Why can't someone look at us and say ok let's investigate what will work what won't and get it out there so we don't keep appearing in the doctors surgery like the ghost of Xmas past or a spectre!!! I'm off again tomorrow possible kidney infection . Ladies we are a tough old bunch keep talking. 
    • Posted

We all think the same it appears ,all on same page ,one advantage we have is females talk ,not so men ,comes from us having kids ,or purely just being female .Least men aren't all open up to infections as women are .Dont have to worry about Allergy's relating to detergents ,softness ,soaps ,that's another mine field that can give women further hassle ,on top of what we've got going on .Happy B......y days hey winds us right up .

I've got couple good female Drs that's a bonus ,they at least listen I've found and do try to help.Male Drs not so good unless there own female family have it rough ,and see it first hand ,well that's my thinking to men Drs .Need more educating in med schools I think for them .

I think it's always good to put up ones age to females on these sites ,see then what ages it's a problem to early or older with these probs .

Some older can help defer a lot of worrying ,and help out better to things good and bad to try .Just my thinking .

• Posted

Just read up on LS ,my that's bad news for women ,I've only known one female local who's mentioned she had that really bad .Hope that turns out a neg for you .Wasent aware autoimmune system can be part of that condition cause wise. News too me . Hope you get kidney infection sorted to ,you got fair bit to be dealing with .Good luck at Drs ,you in UK ,? 
    • Posted

Hi Marlene yes in UK. No infection all part of L S very despondent and down.  Doctor not reassuring drink barley water and cranberry to soothe bladder. Swapping sex I think now !!
    • Posted

Hi Liz terrible to suffer from that ,looks terrible from what I've seen .think I have it bad ,but to have that as well going on,you must find just sitting alone unbearable .Drs I give up ,especially a male one ,females put up with far to much ,you want to scream when no help,like Barley water and Cranberrys going to help that condition .

I'm sat here really uncomfortable again ,hope those ovules come tomorrow.,my anxietys up again ,know it's hormones doing it ,but still got to get by another day like it .

Can understand why your low Liz,you don't want to go out ,do anything .Not how you want to live your life ,lots of women out there feeling this way .

Stay chatting on site ,hope there's some other women reading about meno and having LS ,will come on and chat ,it does help in a roundabout way .

Hope day picks up Liz. xxxx

• Posted

Thanks hope your does and ovules come in post pure vitamin e is good for sore in delicate bits you can put it inside it also heals. Xx 
    • Posted

Got some Vit E Liz ,will get one give that a go .Places we have to put Vits now ,but gotta try anything .Ive got Cranberry juice ,but with IBS that can set that off ,I'm watching what I eat daily ,that's another nightmare ,same if you've got Glutten trouble . Going to get Vit E out  thanks xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.