On estrogen patch and feel so damn depressed ! Thought it was the ‘feel good’ hormone?

Posted , 10 users are following.

How do we know what’s making us depressed ? Been on estrogen patch now about 2 months and although it’s helped with ‘some’ of the fatigue and dizziness I’m still ALWAYS tired and wake up soooooo depressed . 

I thought it was the progesterone that made you down so the dr took me off it ... I thought estrogen was the ‘feel good hormone ? I have had one or two days around my period ( which has now come back due to the patch ) where I felt great but one day a month does not make a happy person ! 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI Lori,  look up...It feels like derangement, menopause, depression and me.  Very good piece.  
    • Posted

Hi Lou 

Just read it and thank you ! I felt much solace in reading it as the lady is a runner too as am I . Gosh I hope I perk up soon ..... can’t stand this much longer ! 

• Posted

I seriously want to go to the UK and hug that woman.  Hang in there Lori,  good luck at your appointment. 🤞🙏

• Posted

Thank you Lou !! This is my LAST effort after this I’m DONE !! 
    • Posted

Its a great article isnt it? Helped me hugely. Im not a runner, but the other issues and feelings mentioned resonate with me so much.
    • Posted

Hi Lydia, I’m not much of a runner either, my treadmill is a nice towel rack right now 😂 I’m just so glad to see the severity of symptoms in print.  Anything to educate and raise awareness.  I wish I could stick a copy to every doctors desk.  

• Posted

Lou - this is one of the best I've read. Wow. Thanks for the recommendation. 

• Posted

I know,

you would think that the estrogen makes you feel better. So they say...so it appearss

It did for me prior to meno, I had boat loads of it.

Now feeling months on end like s**t.

Like i have mentioned before, HRT cant help with mood or depression but for sure can help with all of the physical symptoms. I dont even know at this point.

Other women say they also feel great with progesterone, bio identical, so go figure.

Please find answers from your new doc!  help!

xoxoxoxo

• Posted

I wonder if it can’t help with mood can it do the opposite ? And make you down ?

I know the day  before my period ( when it came ) traditionally I was so happy ... which I thought was the surge in hormones then maybe a bit blah for a week but no blah compares to THIS feeling . 

It’s like you can’t shake it off ... after my workout I feel better but I can’t be working out 10 times a day ... I’m exhausted !

• Posted

Hi Lori - Not sure if you've read The Estrogen Dilemma - another great article. I'm now heading to read the article Lou suggested. My doctor said she'd give me the patch or any other options I would like when I turn 50 (in 3 months). I'm reading as much as I can to know the options. I'm praying that we all start seeing better days. 

• Posted

Well it’s a whole rollercoaster ride! Finding the right combination etc you may just get lucky but I’m on my 3rd trial of hormones I’ll do a 4th and that’s it .... IM GIVING UP! 
    • Posted

No will read it tomorrow and yes read Lous  article it resonated with me as I’m a runner too and wondered if too much exercise can be negative  for hormones 
  • Posted

Hi Lori

I am years in Peri and have done at of of reading and been on several types of Oestrogen and Progesterone. It seems that some of us are Oestrogen Intolerant, some Progesterone Intolerant, some even need Testosterone. I hope you find the correct balance of hormones for yourself xx

• Posted

I’ve just gone on a higher dose of estrogen as it was helping a bit but no enough hopefully I won’t be bouncing off the walls with the new dose . I couldn’t tolerate the estrogen and progesterone combo patch but seem to do ok using them separately . Who knows? It’s like a bloody matrix trying to figure all this out!! Sick of it !! 
    • Posted

Thank you Maxine ! Yes it’s all a nightmare trying to figure everything out so sick of it all ! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.