One day after Holep

Posted , 15 users are following.

Had it yesterday. Surgery went well. 

Is it common to only urinate drips after an hour after catheter was removed?

Thank you 

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I hope all works out for you.  Because there is no going back.  What did the doctor tell you about what he was going to do.  Do you ever talk with the doctor about your concerns  Good luck  Ken 
  • Posted

I know nothing about HOLEP, but other surgeries require the catheter in for a few days or longer. There might be swelling inside - if I were you I'd go back and get it back in for a few days if you can't pee properly yet. It's also possible you have a UTI from the catheter so you'd need to get tested for which antibiotic to take.

• Posted

The urethra takes a lot of trauma from the instruments used during the procedure and absorbs and swells like a sponge so that is where much of the initial blood comes from. 
  • Posted

Are you now out of hospital ? After GL I took me about five hours for my first void after the catheter was taken out. Remember you bladder is empty at that point and needs to fill up. My first pee started with a small gush of blood and then wine. It gradually lessened by the next day but I was retaining until the afternoon of the second day.

A friend left hospital the same afternoon without a catheter also went hours when back at his hotel before his first void and was contemplating using one of his own catheters.   

• Posted

It really is sad how little information patients get when they are discharged after procedures for BPH, etc.  I had Greenlight laser for BPH on a Thursday, the catheter cam out on a Friday, and by Saturday night i was in full retention, and ended up in the ER where after after waiting over an hour in sheer agony, I had a couple of inexperienced nurses finally get a catheter back in.

Call your doctor's office NOW and find out what you do if you can't pee tonight at midnight, on on the weekend when the office is closed.  Do they have someone on call who will meet you in the office if there's an emergency?  If not, what do they want you to do?

• Posted

Your story is typical. Keep a supply of self catheters on hand (CIC).
  • Posted

Yes, and I found it very worrying.  The surgery was 9pm the night before, I slept a bit though having a stupid pumpy air bag thing on my legs didn't help (eventually I negotiated that it be switched off), the catheter was due out 12:00 but she kept disappearing, the plan was that I take oramorph beforehand but then there was time as suddenly she was ready at 2:00 and she yanked it out in one 2 second movement, agonising pain resulted but short lived.  By 5:30 having drunk plenty as advised I wanted to pee, and could pee nothing at all.  As removal had not been without pain, I was much alarmed at the prospect of re-insertion thro' the operation site and asked to be ultrasound-scanned to see how full I was, but she said na, just wait, take a walk.  An hour later I pee'd a tiny few drops, there was some pain at the meatus like after a cystoscopy but not too bad, considering how the catheter moving up and down, dry, had made the meatus quite sore earlier on.  When I later saw from the video he let me upload, quite how many times the laser had been put in and out, as bits were pushed up into the bladder, and then removed it and put in the morcellator, took that out and back in laser, then more morcellator, etc, it's a wonder it wasn't more sore.  But that bit was fine.  I was given a jar and think I managed second time to piddle out 20ml, third time 50ml, and he said you're on an upward trend, be off with you, thus avoiding a second night.  I don't regret it, overall. Good long term fix.  Avoid sex for 2 months, it will be a disappointment at first but does improve (all works, just if you are unlucky, and it's not uncommon, some loss of sensation for a few months, first time for me at +8 weeks I felt almost nothing though no ED and sensations prior to climax all exactly as before).  Expect clot-passing at 2 weeks or so on, and at that point more bleeding.  Do not be alarmed at sizeable clots. 

• Posted

From your description:

" When I later saw from the video he let me upload, quite how many times the laser had been put in and out, as bits were pushed up into the bladder, and then removed it and put in the morcellator, took that out and back in laser, then more morcellator, etc, "

it seems that as my Uro said that GL is a much gentler procedure.

• Posted

With GL there is a higher retreatment rate. HOLEP kind hollows out your prostate so there not much left to regrow.
    • Posted

That is what concerns me about HoLep so much being removed when the prostate still has a function to perform.
  • Posted

The NP is giving me until 2pm, 1 hour and if I have more than 200 cc of  urine that my bladder is retaining, measured by ultrasound or sonogram 

I’m stressing I’ll probably need a new catheter inserted until next week. 

When the catheter was removed it hurt and the RN said it’s much more painful when put in. 

• Posted

Yes usually more painful going in but if they are good at it, and you stay relaxed, it's not that bad.

• Posted

They should have not taking it out for a couple of days so the body can heal The urethra and what is left of your prostate is inflamed.  If you can't pee you may have to have a catheter put back in.  That is up to you  they can not force you.  I am sorry that you are going through this.  Even when I had my Urolift done No cutting at all  I still had a catheter for 3 days.  Good luck  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.