One day after Holep

Posted , 15 users are following.

Had it yesterday. Surgery went well. 

Is it common to only urinate drips after an hour after catheter was removed?

Thank you 

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Short answer is yes. With the catheter in, the bladder is totally empty, which most BPH sufferers haven't experienced in a long time. After my bladder tumor surgery, I was instructed to remove the catheter at bedtime. I think I slept through the night, which never happens!

• Posted

I had HoLEP a few weeks back and it is very common but fortunately it will clear up for the vast majority of men. My doctor said that one out of his last 60 patients had that problem after a year. Most men clear up after a month or two. However you need to make sure that you do not do any strenuous exercise for at least four weeks to six weeks. There are exercises that you can do for bladder control and your doctor should have advised you about them.
    • Posted

I am doing  good and becoming a little more happy every day. You may remember from my past comments that heavy exercise messed me up and caused a delay in healing. I never had trouble voiding after the surgery but I did have a burning sensation for a few weeks after surgery. For a while I had trouble with control but now I don't worry about it thought I do rush to a small degree to the BathR at times. I make sure I go before I attend a meeting or an event so that I will not get in a bind.  Would I choose HoLEP again? Under the circumstance I was given I would say so. If I lived in another state that would put me to sleep with Rezume  I might have chosen that because of the retro. Orgasms hurt the first few times after surgery but that has finally ended. I did read about another surgery that takes material from the prostate near its exterior cover that did not leave retro. However I do not regret going with HoLEP and I don't worry about it one bit.

• Posted

RE is the last concern before the surgery and especially now. I just want to be pain free w/o the catheter. 
  • Posted

I forced myself to drink so much water that now I’m home w/o the catheter

Approximately how long does incontinence last? On average for Holep?

• Posted

Hi Phil,

I was worried for you for a while but glad youre ok now. Like Derek said earlier, you have not drank liquid for some 12 hours before the op so after you are allowed to drink youre body will soak up a lot of the water, it's gagging, before you will start to expel urine. I think it took 3 or more hours for me for the first little pees even though I drank loads of water.

I was dribbling for no more than two weeks and just needed small pads. make sure you put a waterproof mattress protector on. I then started with urgency for about 3 weeks and hence the reason to practise your pelvic floor muscles to give you more time to get to a toilet. All symptons clear totally at 9 to 10 weeks.

Good luck.

• Posted

I have 100.2 F.   The urologist instructions state if fever exceeds 100.2 to call him. I’m on Cipro. 

Anyone had fever after Holep or Turp?

• Posted

Cipro is a drug of last resort. I had to rush my 90 year ole mom to the hospital late at night because it made her foam at the mouth.  That is the only time she encouraged me to drive fast because  the swelling may have been  on the verge of cutting off her breathing.

• Posted

Many men no longer have incontinence  or dribbling after the fist month with the vast majority are completely free of it after the two months according to reports. The reports are consistent with my experience.. You may have to wear a pad for a while should you have a dribble. Only about  two percent still have it after a year. When you go to the bath room stop the stream and hold it for about 10 seconds. I did that about 3 times each trip and it seemed to help.  That will strengthen  your bladder muscles. Another report said use the muscles as if you are trying to keep from passing gas as a bladder exercise. LOL !  Good luck and I hope you have a quick recovery.
    • Posted

Went to ER to put catheter in.  I was in retention. Feel better
  • Posted

Is it common to have painful contractions in the penis caused by a catheter?
    • Posted

I did not experience that during the 3 times I have been catheterized.
    • Posted

I was informed it’s from bladder spasms due to the catheter.  

• Posted

Would you be concerned if you had to leave a catheter in for 7 days? 

Due to conflicting Dr appts I need to wait until Thursday to have catheter removed or better to go to ER and have urology resident remove catheter tomorrow. 

Concerned about potential infection despite taking an antibiotic. 

Also does the foley bag need to be cleaned?

Thank you

• Posted

When you empty the bag you need to clean the tip of the bag and make sure you drink a lot of water.  Keep it in till the end of the week you will be much better off.  What happen if you have it taken out tomorrow and then at night you can't pee your going to have to go back in and have one put in.  Just take the antibiotic and relax  Ken 

• Posted

It’s in until Friday. 

I was given 5 mg Proscar and Rapaflo for 2 weeks-1 month: don’t recall)

Proscar helps with information. 

• Posted

I have suffered from bladder spasms for almost 20 years.  For me, it's just a feeling like I have to pee even though I have very little in my bladder.  I've never had a contraction or any feeling in my penis due to spasms but I guess everyone is different.

Regarding the catheter for 7 days, that shouldn't be a problem.  Clean around the urethra when you shower.  I typically would close the valve and remove the leg bag while showering so the leg straps didn't get wet.  Longest I had one in was 4 days and I think I cleaned the bag every other day, although I don't recall exactly.  I know I didn't clean it every day but it can't hurt.  I just filled it with water, sloshed it around and emptied it a couple times.  I didn't use a baking soda or whatever it is they recommend.  If you're concerned about infections, follow the instructions.

FWIW, I always removed the catheter myself.  It's no big deal.  Once you cut that short tube and the water comes out of the bubble that holds it in, it slides out very easily.  A strange feeling to be sure but not painful in my experience.  Amazing how long that tube is!

• Posted

Hi Phil,

Sorry youre having problems hope it settles down. Couldn't you ring your doctor and ask if one of his nurses could take the catheter out and then wait around to see if you are peeing again before going home.

It makes me shudder that at first I didnt realize that the catheter is held in place by a water bubble and I cringe at the thought of my taking out a catheter thinking it was just a simple pull out.

Good luck

• Posted

My doctor had me remove mine at home after a procedure more than once.  One time, they gave me a syringe that attached to the fill port.  You just attach it and twist to lock it on.  Then, pull back on the syringe to remove the sterile water from the balloon.  An other time, I just took scissors and cut the small filling tube while I was in the shower.  I had clamped the end with a small Kelly clamp.  That time, it was a larger catheter (Fr 22), so it took a bit more of a tug to come out.

It may be that the doctor wants to leave the catheter in place so that they can use it to fill the bladder, and measure the flow rate.  That was done after one of my many procedures.  Once the bladder was filled while I was lying down, I was direct to stand and pee into a bucket (or maybe a urinal).

• Posted

Breeze I know what your talking about.  But its is much easier coming out they going in.  He should have had that catheter in for a few day not just a day.  What that doctor took out was a lot and it did a number on what is left.  That all has to saddle down.  I would rather he keep it in for a few more day they have to have another one put in.  I was in the hospital in November had 7 very pain full try's to put in a catheter  I had a inflamed bladder.   They gave me morphine for the pain and I even had a nurse in tears.  She never saw anyone in so much pain.  I had a catheter for 9 day's  I was so happy to get it out.  It is a relief to your body.  I hope this time when they take it out he can pee by himself.  God willing  Ken

• Posted

They did that when I had my Urolift done.  Had the catheter in for 3 days.  Went to the office they filled it and they shoot it out there  was so much pressure that I peed all over the floor and the catheter hit the wall.  That one was easy.  The worst one was when I had blood clogs on my prostate after a surgery i went back on my blood thinners to soon that cause the clogs on my prostate.  We did not know what it was.  I would not let this doctor touch me until he sign a paper saying that my prostate would not be cut for any reason.  This was not my doctor.  After 30 minutes he sign a paper That I wrote out and the anesthesiologist sign also and I also had 2 nurses witness it.  Well I had to have a 3 way flush done  He put in a 28 fr 3 way catheter in that tube was big.  After 3 day they said I can go home and they were going to remove it.  Well this ball had 30 cc of fluid  She had to to it twice to make sure the water was out.  Well she pulled and it was like a suction cup it was pulled back in.  It took her 3 try's to get it out.  What a relief.   But i think he help me because I have a stricture and have not had a problem with it for the last 2 years.  When my doctor checks It is all ways good.  God bless and good health to all.  Ken 

• Posted

When the catheter was removed in the hospital, it was painful. I’ve had 2 cystoscopies and it was more painful. 

My Dr will remove it Friday. 

I don’t know the size of my catheter but understood from the urological resident who inserted it, it was larger than the initial catheter he brought over once he saw the size of the blood clot that was expelled from my last spontaneous urination.  

• Posted

I will not be taking my catheter out myself but glad you and others have no issues. 

Anyone heard the use of Proscar, post-op, short term to decrease the swelling?

• Posted

The catheter has greatly helped the pain I experienced prior to the catheter. 

Once in a while I still

feel the urge to urinate and feel minor pain when the urinate is released.  It’s like a build up of needing to void and the movement of urine is painful. 

I’m having the catheter removed this Friday and concerned the pain I experienced before the catheter will remain. 

Has anyone experienced pain when urinating? What can be done or which Med can be taken to mitigate the pain. 

• Posted

Hi Phil,

I'm afraid I cant help you re the pain and didnt experience pain when urinating apart from slight tenderness at the tip of penis.

I hope you will be ok on Friday when you have you catheter removed.

Tony

• Posted

Thanks Tony. 

Were you given Proscar (for 30 days) post-op? 

Did your lower back hurt when getting up from bed or a recliner?

• Posted

Could your back problem may be from your time on the operating table ?
    • Posted

Hi Phil,

Sorry for delay in replying. No, I didnt have to take anything and had no backache after the op/

i hoping you will be ok after your cathetar removal today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.