one op or two?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I Went for xrays of my hips and knees last week and am now waiting for an mri scan of my knees. My right knee Is the most painful but my left knee feels more unstable. I noticed that most people have each knee operated on sseparately?, my question is under what circumstances do they do both knees at once?

The xrays show that the left knee and hip are in a worse condition than the right but the right hip and knee hurt more!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you in UK? I have had my left Tkr done on 14/12/2015 and I need my right one done and I said could both be done at once and my surgeon was most adamant that it was too risky and would not do it. I am glad he didn't I am now 12 weeks post surgery and am still recovering and I don't know how I would have managed with both done. Hope this helps, best of luck Jannette
    • Posted

Hi

I had my tkr's 7 weeks apart. I'm glad to have it over, but, had I known the reason for waiting I would have waited 3 months. This forum pointed out (which I found out through personal experience) you need your newly op knee to be weight bearing so your 2 nd knee can heal. If your 1st op'd knee is barely out of surgery and still developing muscles how will it hold the 2nd op'd knee?

Here's an idea. Choose a knee to go first and spend all your time exercizing your both legs; thighs, calves, hamstring muscles. Look up on u tube- it will show exactly how to do. Faithfully 2-3 times per day. This will pay off huge for you. See Colin's post.

• Posted

I'm in the UK and going down the nhs route although I had to pay for my initial consultation as my gp wouldn't refer me due to being too young (56). I am going on holiday in may for a week and am already worrying how I'll manage (we're going to Croatia..lots of steps and cobbled streets) we went to split last year but I was on quite high doses of steroids and was able to do steps and walk without pain. It's a distant memory now, I had to go upstairs to the bathroom at daughters house yesterday, it was agony and I had to do it on all fours, painful and embarrassing!

I'm assuming I won't have my surgery until after my holiday. We would normally plan another few city breaks but assume that this year will probably have to be pretty much written off. How long would you expect to be recovering from the first tkr? From what you said would I be better waiting 3 months before the second? Like everyone else I'm just desperate to be rid of this unremitting pain and want to be able to do what other people do. My grandsons have three grandma's (one a step) and I'm the only one who walks with a stick!! I want to be able to take them to the park and not need to sit down. Sorry for the moaning and misery!

• Posted

Although I was classed as an emergency as I ended up only being able to walk on crutches, I was put on a cancellation list but they sent me a date for three months later, in case a cancellation didn't happen and I ended up going right to the date they sent me which was 14/12/15. This was with nhs. The recovery is very slow, even if you do everything you are told, and I've been told it's a full year before you feel completely over surgery. I have to see surgeon in 6 weeks to discuss my other one, but he wants me to be over the worst of this one first so I will have one good leg. I'm not looking forward to it but want to get my life back and like you play with grandchildren and be able to go on holidays again. Best of luck Jannette
  • Posted

Oh I am 62 years old and have had two keyhole surgery s done on my right leg which wasn't successful. Then while I was waiting for tkr surgery my other leg gave way, so they had to do that first. So far I have been struggling with my knees for 5 years, and just need next one done,and hopefully this time next year I will be pain free and well. Wishing you all the best Jannette
  • Posted

hi deborah  it all seems very confusing for you now .  my husband had knee pain in one leg but the hip on the other side was also in trouble .surgeons here prefer to do the hip first and then do the knee because if the hip is gone it causes problems with the recovery if the knee is done first  like you his left hip and his right knee was the worst he got the hp done but so far has not got the knee done he is reluctant to go back due to my trouble with tkr .

getting your knee done seperately is best in my opinion ,i say this as one who got both together and one went badly wrong .it literly left me without a leg to stand on .its only if something goes wrong that the bi lateral (both together) is not a good idea ,the problem with that is we dont know the future .i was only 55yrs when i had my bi lateral ,and it never occured to me that it might not go wrong .so keep that in mind .   my personal advise would be dont do any op unless you are in so much pain that your life is curtailed ,and that you have done all the alternatives . when you reach the point of having to go down the road of surgery then make sure you have the very best surgeon get a second opinion if needed .i wish i did .!!! . i wish you the very best and hope you get sorted with the best of consultants

• Posted

Hi Linda, How are you doing? Is your husband any better and your sister? Hope you are looking after yourself and keeping your lovely sense of humor. My mum is out of respite now and I am looking after her again, which is difficult as she has vascular dementia and copd and other complaints. If she sees me with my feet up and my ice bag she keeps saying I am a lazy so and so and it's about time I did some work, even though she has watched me do ironing and housework. I am 12 weeks post surgery now, still struggling with sleep but although my knee and ankles keep swelling I am feeling a bit better in myself. I am having physio again and that is helping. Look after yourself Jannette x
    • Posted

I feel like my life is on hold, I can't walk for more than a couple of minutes without really bad pain. Standing is the same, I am constantly looking for somewhere to sit down. I have had problems with my right knee for at least ten years. Iwas told several times it was a torn ligament although it was never scanned or properly investigated. The past six months have seen the pain ramp up hugely which has really restricted what I can do.

The consultant I am under is the most respected at our local hospital, I paid to see him privately so that he would put me on his nhs list. He is wondering why my right knee is so painful when my left knee looks so much worse under xray. When I was a teenager I was thrown from a horse and my right knee was badly bruised and swollen and to this day the skin is still numb. I'm hoping that the mri will be more enlightening!

• Posted

hi jannette you have the wrong irish one  its ann that is the lady you think i am and a lovely lady she is we pm each other which is lovely x
    • Posted

i understand that when your life is on hold then its time to check out the problem .im glad you found a good surgeon .i thought i had and i went private all the way . try and find people that have had this consultant for tkr and hip and listen to how things went for them  .they are the ones who know maybe someone on this forum live in your area and know this guy and give you information .their is plenty on here from uk .maybe im wrong and your not from uk
    • Posted

Oh sorry, I just saw the Irish bit. I have read comments off you too. Your the very brave lady who had both knees done at the same time. My heart goes out to you .One tkr at a time is enough. I have to have my other one done when I get over this I am 12 weeks now and I won't be having it done until I am pain free from this one. Hope you feel better soon . Best wishes Jannette
    • Posted

its wise to wait jannette till you are really ready ,  and thanks for your kind comments ,i hope your  knee is on the mend   .anyone who has had a tkr is very brave i think as it  pushes you to the limit in pain and challenges you mentaly  for the duration of the recovery .x
  • Posted

Once you have the mri scan, the surgeon will get a better picture. I know it's worrying to have to go through the surgery, but now you are at this stage it will be the next step to getting better. I worried about the surgery and stay in hospital but time goes quickly. As long as you don't try to rush recovery, keep on top of medications, rest, ice and raise your leg above heart regularly, plus do lots of stretching exercises, you will be on the road to recovery. Just try to think in a year's time your life will be back again and no more pain. Best wishes Jannette
  • Posted

P.s. This forum is really helpful, so many people who know what you are going through and there is always someone who will be going through the same and can support you. I found it so helpful on bad days and at night when I couldn't sleep.
  • Posted

I agree about this forum, I also go on the polymyalgia forum as I have that too. It's nice to know that you're not on your own and can ask the most ridiculous questions when you're worrying about something. I unfortunately spend far too much time awake during the night, I can't remember the last good nights sleep I enjoyed!
    • Posted

I am the same Deborah, I thought it was the cocktail of medications I was on, but I only take paracetamol and I now have one cocodamol before I go to bed. It takes me ages to get to sleep and then when I do sleep it's only a couple of hours, then I lie awake again. I have read so many books plus I go on the forum, I think it's something to do with the surgery.. or I have got into a habit. It seems a common problem though. Best wishes Jannette

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.