one op or two?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I Went for xrays of my hips and knees last week and am now waiting for an mri scan of my knees. My right knee Is the most painful but my left knee feels more unstable. I noticed that most people have each knee operated on sseparately?, my question is under what circumstances do they do both knees at once?

The xrays show that the left knee and hip are in a worse condition than the right but the right hip and knee hurt more!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

In the US the decision is based upon the patient's age, health, physical condition and whether he/she will have someone at home to care for him/her as well as the physician's personal preference. I had both knees done at the same time and it was extremely tough. If I had it to do all over again, I would have them done separately with 4-6 months between. It's been 5 months for me, and I still have chronic issues that I think are related to having them both done at the same time. But I'm also told my recovery time is 12 months so I'm not even half way there yet.
  • Posted

I think you should do them one at a time since you're putting problem with your hip as well we need some kind of support from the other leg to help you through with the physical therapy so I think it's best if you do the mother time for proper healing I did my TKR January 20 and it's been very very painful and brutal but it did get better after two months and but I still have a 90° and working on improving that even more good luck in your decision and I hope all the best for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.