One step to far!!

Posted , 12 users are following.

I saw my consultant on wednesday for my six week check up (although it was ten days earlier than the six weeks) He was very pleased with my progress and cleared me to drive and move onto the next set of exercises and an exercise bikebiggrin Had one slightly jumpy moment when he bent my leg towards my chest ... and then leaned on iteek If he wasn't just so devinely dishy I would have yelled at him, but, I just smiled sweetly!!  So yesterday was my best day yet, drove to the beach and walked the dogs, then onto Asda and shopped without a mobility scooter, came home, and for the very first time managed to walk up the stairs properly, albeit I had help from the banister.  Went to bed without medication and got up this morning in high spirits and planned a further beach dog walk.  Then the door bell rang and as I hurried down stairs, I lost the plot, I was doing the one step hop when suddenly I saw my operated leg fly past into a normal step ... it failed spectacularly, I crumpled and went head first down the stairs across the hallway hit the front door which bounced me onto my back and flat on the floor.  I was completely stunned, my big dog came down to take a look and then went back up stairs, the little dog never bothered at all. The cat literally stepped on me and over me as it continued down the hall without a backward glance, and there I lay in a big heap.  It took me the best part of thirty minutes to get up. I had to slide to the stairs for assistance and then slowly pulled myself up.  The inside of my knee is a little sore, my neck and shoulder hurt, but other than that I seem to have escaped any injuries.  I do feel very stiff and no way could I walk up the stairs properly tonight, so it has taken me back a few paces, and made me realise my body still has quite a way to go before it catches up with my confidence.  Back to the basic exercises for a few days, and lots of stair work, I think it will be sometime before I attempt to come down stairs in a normal fashion, baby step walking is fine for now!

7 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Liz that's awful the stairs are still my biggest fear 

take it easy and pamper yourself for a couple of days 

Jean 

• Posted

OMG Liz be careful 

If you're hurting anywhere tomorrow please get yourself checked out 

Christine TKR  6 weeks

Woohoo socks can come off yayyyy! !!!

• Posted

OMG Liz be careful 

If you're hurting anywhere tomorrow please get yourself checked out 

Christine TKR  6 weeks

Woohoo socks can come off yayyyy! !!!

• Posted

Yikes Liz, that's my biggest fear! I will be 6 months at the end of this month & still can't go up & down stairs ( especially down!) normally!

By the way, who was at the door???

• Posted

I am 17 weeks TKR. .  stairs are still difficult. .. walking without a stick or crutch is almost impossible. Muscle spasms and stiffness are my biggest problem  . I can see a small improvement since surgery.   I thought I would need two crutches forever  and couldn't stand for long.    Getting a bit better. .. I had a few bad falls  at the beginning. . Bruised constantly on my arms from the crutches    terrified I would undo the surgeons handiwork. . .. take care and no more rushing to answer the door. .. 
    • Posted

I buy natural dog food (naturesdiet) bulk and it was a delivery of two months supply, He was long gone by the time I did my dive for the door, so I need not have rushed!
    • Posted

I buy raw food too for my frenchie and i have explained to the driver I'm on crutches and can't get to the door   quickly. .. . I did most of my Christmas shopping online and left a note for the couriers.. which seemed  to work... take care   
    • Posted

Well that is pretty scary! You may feel some aches & pains later, but hopefully that is the worst of it! I'm so sorry 😒 I know how it is to have a really good day then take a step back wards. 

Is walking on the beach a challenge for you? I have to go at low tide & walk on the wet sand, otherwise it's so difficult in the dry sand. 

Take care! Betty

• Posted

Hi Liz. My goodness. What a shock you had. Thank goodness you seem to have come through it with no.major damage. As you said it's a reminder to take it carefully and for us all to take care.

Robert

• Posted

OMG!!  you poor thing, liz.  i bet the shock of the whole thing completely rattled you.  it would have me, that's for sure.  but glad to hear that other than some bumps and bruises you are feeling ok.  but if in doubt, pop to see your gp!  we have had huge amounts of snow - now melting, thank god - and i was afraid something like your freedom flight would happen to me if i slipped.  so i go everywhere with my big furry snow boots ... people must think i am mad as it is nearly all gone but i am paranoid of slipping!  not that furry boots would have helped you but as you said, softly, softly catch the monkey!
  • Posted

Oh you poor soul!  That must have been terrifying. I'm glad you are not too badly hurt. it makes you realise that there is still a lot of healing to do. Take things steady. I am 21 weeks and still take stairs one foot at a time most of the time.  I need banisters both sides to walk up or down them properly and ours only has one on left hand side so it is a struggle.  I have feared your flying act myself and after reading your post I shall do like you and go steadier.  All the best and I hope your aches and bruises clear up really soon. X
    • Posted

Ruby, I'm around the same stage as you and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who still goes up & down stairs the same as you & rely on the banister! Going down is especially terrifying for me especially if I'm carrying something in my other arm.

I still lack the confidence and still feel a little unsteady on my feet at times, even when walking on level ground for heaven sake!

I'm going to force myself to build up confidence and try going down stairs like a normal person! I feel so silly in public and embarrassed when holding other people up. I know it's just lack of confidence ( well, I think I know) and hoping once I can get confidence back I can start doing things in a normal way again. It would be understandable if it were still early days, but I'm going on 6 months, so it's disturbing not to have my confidence back yet.

Anyway, sorry about my rambling on smile 

• Posted

Hi Betty. I am the same as you - worrying about holding people up when out and about, but it would be so much worse if we went down like a ton of bricks lol. In all,seriousness, after reading Liz's story though I think I'm going to just go one at a time! Going up I can do it properly as long as I hold the rail one side and lean on the wall the other.  I go very slowly but get there in the end.  Going down is a different matter! One at a time, first on the bad leg then changing and using the good one first.  It pulls on the operated one but I convince myself it's just another exercise.  I had several painful falls before I had my knee done and maybe that is why I am a bit over causious. It's going to take quite a while to get confidence back so please don't rush it. Take it steady. As my consultant told me " you've had major surgery and will need at least 1 year to 18 months to recover". Mind you he is a bit of an arrogant man who told me to throw away my crutches after two weeks!!  With hindsight maybe I need a new consultant lol. Xx
  • Posted

God you poor thing Liz, hope you are ok now. It has given us all a valuable lesson though to take things slowly.   We will all get there in the end I am sure.  Take care liz xx
  • Posted

Feel so bad for you. At 3 months I still take care with stairs especially down. Can't do down very well at allwithout the banister.I hope that a couple of days rest will get you going again. The new knee is very strong but the rest of us is still very frail. Typical of the pets though. I bet if they'd known it was their food they'd have opened the door themselves!biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.