One week after gallbladder removal.

Posted , 35 users are following.

Have been getting a heaviness across the stomach which is very uncomfortable, plus Lots of stinging and the Obvious aches and pains from surgery.

As have IBS, Barretts Oesophagus and severe diverticulitus it's sometimes hard to know what discomfort belongs to what.

Have taken tramadol which 2 hours later is easing up. Is this heaviness normal.

4 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Janet!  you've got me really worried!  have been for my pre op asesment due to having my gaul bladder removed, and after reading your comment, wonder if i'm doing the right thing. although, can't go through life with this awful pain and discomfort!  hope things improve for you sooon. take care.  Val.
    • Posted

Valerie I have no regrets having it done.No bad back pain, nausea gone. Hopefully no more admittance to hospitals. Feel heaps better, and understand have to go through some discomfort, just hard to know sometimes which of my symptoms belong to what. Sorry if my blog gave you doubts but no regrets.
    • Posted

Hi Janet!  no worries, and you've reasured me, and i'll certainly be going through with it. grate to know there'll be no more pain, visits to hospital, or nosea.  as i said in this forum before, i dread when the nosea comes, as i have a fear of vomiting and have had this since i was 5.  take care, and thanks.  let us know how your doing.  Val.
    • Posted

Just remember the old saying of "no pain no gain"

Do ask for pain killers, better to take them and be comfortable. Let me know how you get on. Good luck.

• Edited

Yes. Healing hurts . And I swept the floor and felt miserable with aches. Your abdominal muscles have been cut yes not a big cut but a cut and they will take 6 weeks to strengthen and heal. I was caring for my mother and lifted her as she fell. The aches and pains after..😱...but they settled after a couple of days. Just don't strain your abdomen. And remember you've been cut and stitched inside , takes time to heal. If someone stabbed you three times with a small sharp object you would be shocked sore and aching just cos we book in to be stabbed so to speak in an operation doesn't mean our body isn't in shock for a while trying to recover. Rest up only worry if your stitches get infected etc otherwise r and r x
    • Posted

Thanks Sally, it's reassuring to see your answer. Put my mind at ease, plus did no realise how long the healing will take. Many thanks for your response.
    • Posted

Hi Janet

I am 11days post op for laproscopic gall bladder removal.

Got the heavy feelin across the stomach which feels better with

some sort of support used my hands initially and today put

on some big woolly tights that have helped...but can't put my

bra on...sorry if this is too much inforedface and it's not a good look either!!rolleyes

Feel as though I have been punched repeatedly in the back!

Surgery of any kind causes a lot of bruising some can be seen

but internal bruising can be really uncomfortable and time to heal.

The stinging is quite common and for me has eased off over past

day or so!

When you are in pain like that it is best to take pain meds every 4hours

and not wait until it gets unbearable because this causes your body too

much stress

I found that if I lightly touch my skin in circular motions around my abdomen

it can stop the nerves from going mad with pain signals around the wound sites as aparently I was told nerves react to tickly feeling rather than the

paincheesygrin...or this could be something I dreamed up, but it seems to work!!confused

I hope this helps and that you are feeling better soonsmile

• Posted

Thanks for the info, pain wise had a good day but felt really lazy and tired. Just potting Around doing small job's nothing strenuous. Pain killers working. Lol at your woolly tights idea. Hope you will feel better soon. It's nice to be able to discuss what is going on, the answers are all reasurrng. Let me how you are getting on.
    • Edited

Hi Janet

It's now day 12 and I have managed to get fully dressed today, only got as far as wooly tights yesterday..redface

Walked to my garden gate and had a chat with one of my neighbours which was nice as the sun's out!...was out about half hour and feel quite pleased with myself having done that!cheesygrin

I am now going to chill out for rest of day as I don't want to push my body too far!

I hope you are feeling a little better today and the pain is under control?smile

• Posted

Hi Sunshinemb!  Well done to you!  I hope when i have my gaul bladder removed, i do as well!  have been for the pre op asesment, so hopefully, it won't be too long!  Any regrets?  Val.
    • Posted

Good on you, it's a nice feeling to be able to get out. I did go out to do light shop other day but it was too much too soon.

I was reading up on another sight where it reckons that after two weeks should be able to get around and if working could go back. 4 weeks and should be fit.

Well thank God am now retired cause no way would I be that fit. So

It is reassuring speaking about it with others in this situation. Get more of a true realistic out look n it all.

• Posted

Ps. Keep the woolly tights and frame them :-)

• Posted

Hi Valerie

Thanks for your kind words!

I have no regrets at all, just so glad that I am no longer having of the awful symptoms associated with gall bladder and gallstones!

Don't do any bending or lifting!

Last week was tough as I already have a chronic health condition, so basically slept through most of it!

Today I feel better in myself, but body still feels as though I am bruised mainly on my right side!

I had to sleep on my back for about 7days now I can sleep on my left side!

Working out how to get in and out of bed at home was my main problem!

So that forced me to rest laid down for longer periods which I think helped a lot!

Just rest as much as you can afterwards to give yourself a chance of good recovery!

I am still on a very low fat diet only mainly soup, chicken, rice & veg,yoghurt, rice pudding and plenty of fluids as I don't want to pile loads of weight back on! Had no ill effects from eating any of this!

Good Luck Valerie and let us know how you get on!smile

• Posted

Hi Janet

Good to hear from you!

Shopping is not a good idea as you will be using all the muscles that have

been injured during the opereation!

I get 99% of my shopping delivered by Asda or Tesco and have done for years.  It's a brilliant service and recommend it to anyone!  

I think some of these people who make up these timetables for recovery have never seen the inside of a hospital or had an operation!!

I think you have to be extremely fit and healthy to recover in those sort

of timescales!

I'm thinking Christmas would be good for me to make a full recovery but

I do have a chronic health problem which makes my recovery slow!

Keep resting Janet and hopefully you will get a little better each daysmile

• Posted

Hahaha Janet that is very funnylol

I love my woolly tights got loads and leggings(600 denier)!

Always have cold legs and wear the leggings in summer under my jeans!

Don't take them off unless it reaches about 28degrees outside...lolcheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Janet!  silly lady trying to do too much too soon!  you said that when i get my op, to ask for pain killers.  well, i've got problems with a few pain killers. i can't take i b profin, anything with codine or tramadol as the tramadol knocks me off my head, and the others make me either sick, or feel that way.  at the moment i've got a suppositories which i take as well as paracetimol when the pain gets too bad, and so far this works.  don't know what they'll give me when i have the op.  Anyway, take care and don't try to do too much too soon.  let us know how you get on.  Val.
    • Posted

Hi Valerie,

Have you spoken to your consultant regarding pain killers. You also will

Get a consultation with the anethetist before the op and my was brilliant.Do mention how your feeling and concerns you have. Lol they do not bite.have you a date yet?

• Posted

Hi Valerie

When you get your surgery appointment letter, I think it will tell you to bring all your medications with you that you are taking at the moment so they should double check that with you when you get there.smile

• Posted

Hi Janet!  When i was taken into hospital the last time, and during my pre op asesment, i mentioned all my fears, and was told that i'd be able to have a word with the anetheist before the op, and i could mention all this to him or her.  I haven't got a date yet, but was told it should be in the next l 6 to 8 weeks after the pre op asesment.  i'll let you know as soon as i'm given a date.  val.
    • Posted

Valerie, I rang my consultants Secretary saying could she give me a rough idea when my date was. Very helpful and even brought my date forward because of my pain and discomfort. It maybe worth a try. Waiting is the worst. My appetite is back so have to be careful as do not want to put my wait back on.
    • Posted

Hi Janet!  Funny you should suggest that, but i got a letter this morning from Miss Mckinlay's (my surgeon) secretary telling me that hopefully, i'll be seen in the next 4 weeks, and my practice manager Carie is trying to push it forward.  In the meantime, i'll just have to be a women's libe   (remember them) and go braless!  Ha! Ha!
    • Posted

Hi Janet!  What i meant to say in my last comment was that i'll just have to be a women's libber (remember them) and go braless!  Ha!Ha!
    • Posted

It looks like at last you may be getting somewhere, fingers crossed they will bring it forward.

Sadly due to age yep remember women's lib lol. But never brave enough to go without a bra.

• Posted

Hi Janet!  Like you, due to age i remember women's lib well, but never brave enough to go without a bra, but have no other option at the moment as the pain's too much trying to wair one!  Val.
    • Posted

Has been with out during this op, but abe to get one back on again now.

After mastectomy and reconstruction wear one day and night d no wantto end up at one saggy boob :-) one does not have much dignity left after so many ops.

• Posted

Hi I just got mine removed on the 27. Can you tell me what to expect.Thanks
    • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed last Fri, then Christmas day had to have another

Surgery, because I had 2 stones blocking my bile duct and pancreas, this morning.😇 When I got up to walk the back calf of my legs are soooo sore. Did you have any problems like that

• Posted

Thank you for the post. I thought I was going crazy. I had a full hysterectomy 6 years ago and only took one pain pill. This recovery is much more difficult for me. I think it's because the incisions are higher and I am a few years older. It has been a week since my gallbladder has been laparoscopically removed and I still experience pain above the upper central incision. There is also still some swelling and a bra just isn't going to happen right now. laying down and standing are good so long as I have pressure on the area while standing. Sitting is still difficult. A friend told me their mother had this surgery and was fine in a week. I am feeling rather wimpy. Your post helps me feel that it may take a few more days and that I am not a big baby. My employer is anxious for my return to work and I want to feel better before I go back to twelve-hour days. I don't want them to feel I am milking my time off but I definitely still hurt and am not up to returning. My rib area is quite sore and I often feel short of breath after moving around a bit. Sorry for the rant and THANK YOU.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.