One week after gallbladder removal.

Posted , 35 users are following.

Have been getting a heaviness across the stomach which is very uncomfortable, plus Lots of stinging and the Obvious aches and pains from surgery.

As have IBS, Barretts Oesophagus and severe diverticulitus it's sometimes hard to know what discomfort belongs to what.

Have taken tramadol which 2 hours later is easing up. Is this heaviness normal.

4 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Had my laproscopic gall bladder removal a week ago and they lied to me. Told me no big deal, no driving for 24 hours and 7-10 recovery!   Heck, couldn't even get into and out of bed by myself for the first two days!   Feel like I was punched in my stomach with two nasty bruises on my belly.  and a spot the size under my right rib cage that feels like I swallowed a softball. Like someone said else can't wear a bra which is not a pleasant picture.  have the heaviness too thinking it is from a the internal bruising.  Hopeing we all recover soon!  Wish they were a little more forthcoming on what we were to experience and not the usual  it's a breeze. 
    • Posted

Sorry your having such a rough time. I found out everything from being on this site, true they do not tell you enough. But it does ease up, takes more time though than they say. But no more nasty bouts and nice t be eating better, no gallstones pain. Guess we all have to be patient, but that's not so easy. At least we can vent about it on this site, as all in same situation.
    • Posted

Hi!  Poor you!  i don't think anything is a breeze!  will keep all you've said in mind when i get my gaul bladder removed.  can't wair a bra @ the moment.  anyway, none of mine would fit, as i've lost so much weight because i've virtually no apetite just now.  Hope you recover soon.  Any regrets?  val.
    • Posted

Hi Kawikadog

Really sorry to hear you are having a rough time.

I am 12days along since gall bladder surgery, and it has not been a breeze at all!

Like you I was stuck on my back in bed, could not work out how to get

myself up.

I was supposed to stay for 48hours after surgery because of chronic

health problem...15 hours later I was told to go home!

I live alone and that first couple of nights and days really scared me

and I am not a wimp!

The only way that hospital will understand is if people give feedback

whether it is on the NHS forum for that particular hospital or by writing

directly to the hospital, which I have every intention of doing when I get

my strength back.

At the end of the day this is major abdominal surgery and not every surgery is straight forward, some gall bladders don't come out that easily and the surgeon will have to spend longer doing the procedure there is no way that you can recover in those time scales unless you have some sort of healing powers!!

And as far as getting my bra on tried that again this morning and the

pain was just unbearable.

But my trusted big woolly tights have helped a lot with supporting my stomach without  being too tightrolleyes!!

Just try to sleep and rest for as long as you can, keeping on top of your pain meds before the pain gets too bad!

Hope you feel better soon?!smile

• Posted

I think it's awful they sent you home so soon. Thought if you lived on your own you required someone with you for at least 24 after surgery. It must of been awful for you.
    • Posted

Hi Janet

I was supposed to be in for 48hours after surgery as the Anaesthetist and Surgeon both agreed that it was necessary given my underlying health condition.

Unfortunately I was told to go home by a doctor who I had never seen before!  He had definitely not been on the Customer/Client Care Coursetwisted!!

Last week was pretty rough and I slept through most of it!

I am on day 12 after surgery and actually managed to get dressed

using my kitchen tongs to put my socks onrolleyes along with my 

trusty woolly leggings!!

No luck with the bra thoughredface...I hope I can get it on before end of

October hoping to go to a Soul Music Afternoon then but definitely 

cannot go without some support in that arealol!!

• Posted

I really feel for sunshine, what an --- ---- he was. He sure needs to be reported goes to show did not read your medical notes. If I wrote what I really think then they won't print it.
    • Posted

Hi Janet

I cannot write on here what actually happened

but when I am fit enough I will be writing a letter

of complaint!

It is a real shame because I had to best care

possible up to seeing this person!rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Sunshinemb!  Think its really awful Hi Sunshinemb!  Think its really awful the way you were treated!  After all, it does say in the leaflets you get, that you're supposed to have someone with you for 24 hours after the op if you live alone!  When you feel up to it, write that letter, and word it very strongly.  Good luck, and keep smiling and be happy.  Val.
    • Posted

It is amazing how we still managed to smile in the face of things that go wrong. You may not feel it sunshine but you are very strong and I hopethat all will go well when you complain. It only takes one Rotten apple to spoil things.

• Posted

Hi Valerie

Thanks for your message!

I am definitely going to write a few letters!

I hope you are not suffering too much at moment?

Even though you have to go through the surgery, I do think it is

worth it because I was feeling so ill with the symptoms and they

have gone, just getting over the operation now but being good

and resting as much as possible!

Hopefully you will get a date very soon?!smile

• Posted

Hi Janet

I think we ladies are a very strong bunch and it's so good

to have support from you all on here which is brilliant!

I hope you have had a better day today Janet?!smile

• Posted

Hi Sunshinemb!  Sorry i didn't get back to you yesterday,  but i had a real bad day!  feeling a beit better to-day, but just can't wait to get the damned thing out, and hope i'll get that date soon.  i know you'll make that concert ok!  you can do it gal!  keep smiling, hope things continue to improve.  keep letting us know how things are with you, and when you've made that concert.  Val.
    • Posted

Feel for you, those bad days were just awful. One has to have been throuh it all to realise what we are all talking about. Hope things not so bad today for you.

Though you will find it a little bit of as rough ride after surgery it is well wort it, honest. 12 day for me and feel come a long way in that time, recovery time not what they say it is. Just go with your body feelings and take time over the recovery. I have found it hard not doing normal jobs but patience is a Bertie. Hope it comes through for you soon.

• Posted

Hi, if your still reading this bill how tat revive is going well. Hee if 26th rneed us.
    • Posted

Sorry ment to read...if still reading blog hope everything ok and here if you need us.
    • Posted

Hi Val

I was wondering how you were feeling?

I am sorry you are having it rough, I remember those times and they

were the only thing that made me realise that horrible thing was 

coming out!

So even though I was not looking forward to the surgery, it was the

best thing to do! Almost immediately I felt better as my body was

not fighting all the awful symptoms!

So hoping and praying you get your date soon!

Hope you get some rest today?!smile

• Posted

Hi Janet

I hope you are feeling a bit better today?!

Sun shining again up here in Lancashire, but not complainingsmile!!

Have a good day!

• Posted

Hi Janet!  Having a better day.  yesterday, the pain was so bad that i was actually crying, and believe me i'm no wimp!  hubby called the doc out, and lucky for me, it was my own doc who gave me an injection.  Thank goodness its subsided, hopefully not to return for a bit!  i dread these attacks, as they frighten me.  glad your feeling better.  Keep in touch, as i will with you.  Val.
    • Posted

Poor old you. Really feel for you as know what your going through. Still think it is worth you ringing the consultants Secretary and saying had. another bad bout. Worth a try. Hope today has been better.
    • Posted

Today felt sick but vanished as quick as it came. Done a few jobs nothing strenuous. Resting up now, just take it slow, but need to do a short shop tomorrow so see how that goes. Day 12 now and it's flying by.
    • Posted

Hi Jan!  Sorry i haven't been in touch, but i've been rather poorly this last week.  not so much with pain, but with nosea and bowels behaving erratically!  Plus, i've been very restless and uncomfortable, and not able to sleep properly.  still no date yet, and from what i've heard, they are not meeting their targets up here.  Goodness knows when i'll get my op, only wish they'd hurry up.  still hardly any appetite.  How have you been?  Are you feeling any begtter?  Let me know how you are, and take care of yourself.  Val.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.