One week after operation.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I had left foot Scarf Osteotomy lateral release extensor tenotomy last Friday, I can't pretend I know exactly what's been done as hidden under a big fat Bandage. I was given a shoe and told I given crutches when I was unable to walk directly after the operation. In fact the information of what I am allowed to do is a bit vague. Not sure if I was given it due to the Morphine. I was able to waddle in my special shoe that prevents me putting my toe down after day 3 but that was limited. Now a can walk a little further without the crutches. I have been more or less been keeping my leg up most of the time for the first week and I shall do the same next week too. I am more or less pain free but not exactly sure if I should be walking without the crutches. I really don't want to do any damage. Please can anyone help me. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Everyone I know, myself included, has been told to walk but walk on the heel. In practice it took me 3 weeks to walk - even then it was only on my heel. Take a copy of what was done to a physio. They will know best.
  • Posted

I can't offer any real advice however you're not alone. I've been down since surgery last Friday and was given very vague directions also. Pain pills finally began to work and I made the mistake of feeling like I was good enough to toss the crutches aside and walk gingerly yesterday around the house cleaning/cooking. If I don't hurt I don't feel right about just being lazy right? Well big mistake, I've now taken a step backwards and while I can still apply alittle weight on foot it is very swollen and pain killers are not doing the trick Anymore!Don't always listen to your body, it lies!
  • Posted

Hi.  I kept my left foot up for the first two weeks and only really got up using the crutches to go to the loo and have a bath...with leg sticking out.  I was concerned that I may dislodge the screw/pin.  I realised on crutch to take most of my weight form weeks 2-4 as well and then gradually relied on them less when walking in the boot.  At six weeks the boot comes off and I am now allowed to fully weight bear through my foot.  I know some say they didn't use the crutches but I have read a few comment on medical sites about not overdoing it and risking damage so my advice would be to take it easy for the first two weeks at least.  Ask your consultant what you have had done at your next appointment.  I was surprised to see a staple in my toe when I was xrays at 6 weeks and it helped me understand what is as feeling as I am recovering.  Good luck and try to be patient it is quite a serious operation and essentially like a broken foot which needs time to heal.
  • Posted

Hi Sue. I had a scarf/akin osteotomy (with a tendon released between toes 1 and 2)and was given a shoe that allowed only my heel and mid-foot to take any weight and the nurse refused to allow me to have crutches, much to my surprise. I left the hospital a few hours after the op (in a wheelchair pushed by my friend) having had to prove to the nurse that I could walk using the shoe. Tentative hobble would be a better description! I hopped around my house then the next morning my friend drove me to the local cottage hospital where the kind physios gave me crutches (to improve my walking speed outdoors to reasonable). Around the house, I walk without the crutches. According to my nurse, walking without the crutches is essential from the start. However, I don't cause myself excessive pain as I don't see the point. My indoors walking has improved steadily from hopping to full and comfortable weightbearing on the bad foot. Three weeks after the op, I still use the crutches outside but am using my foot more and more and the crutches are doing less and less. They do act as a good warning to other pedestrians to stay out of your way though! All the best. Hope this helps you.
    • Posted

Crutches are great for keeping you out of harms way definitely! 😃
    • Posted

Yes! I had the same experience as you with discovering a staple (but at the two-week point). Until then I had been wondering why it was sore around that bone (the phalanx, part of the toe itself) when it was the metatarsal (mid-foot) that had had the scarf osteotomy. I hadn't realised that I had had an Akin osteotomy as well!
  • Posted

I wasn't given crutches at all, just the heel weight-bearing shoe from Day 1.  If you feel happy about walking around without crutches I would just do what feels comfortable.  But perhaps check with the doctor first!  
  • Posted

Thanks all everyone .  i am almost sure that, when I first asked for crutches I was refused and told no. However because of the medication I was still a bit woozy and lightheaded. When I tried to stand up and get to the loo later though was shocked at the pain I felt even with the boot on. I stayed in overnight and was shown how to use them the next day by the physio. I assumed though that it was because I was using them wrongly. You have all been very helpful hope to speak to you all more x

I am hobbling around my Bungalow to and from the bathroom and kitchen in just the boot but I am sure if I had to walk outside, which won't be for a week or so yet, I will be using the crutches. 

• Posted

My physio came around with the boot and crutches when I was only just coming around from GA and I can't remember what they said. When I stood up i nearly fainted so they left me an instruction sheet about how to use crutches and that was it. All very hazy.  Would be nice to have clearer instructions wouldn't it ? You will notice progress every day.  I wish I had written things down to realise how quickly it started to improve!  Crutches are definitely worth having with you outdoors in case you get sore or want people to realise you are not fully functional!
  • Posted

Hi, I had my op on 26th Jan. I was told to keep moving and rest and elevate when I felt the need to. I only used one crutch when I went out and that was primarily to let other people know I had had a procedure and give me a wide berth! I had the heel weight bearing shoe and was walking in this from day 1.

I managed to do do everything I would normally do around the house although I was a bit slower! I knew if I had overdone it and would rest and elevate. 

I went back to work after 2 weeks and on 25th Feb which was exactly 4 weeks and 3 days post op I went for my second check up at hospital. The nurse removed my pin and gave me a flat weight bearing sandal as I hadn't been told to take any shoes with me. I had no idea I would be fully weight bearing at this point. I was given a toe spacer and some tape to use around my toe that had been pinned. The tape is to give it extra support and help stop  it bending again. 

I was was also given the ok to drive providing I could do the emergency stop. All in all this experience has been so different to what I had thought it would be and from other people's stories I was quite prepared to live in my bedroom for weeks on end and let my hubby get on with it all. 

I think it just goes to show that everyone heals at different rates and until you have actually had the op you won't know how you are going to feel or how much pain, if any you will have. If you are concerned about anything I would contact the post op department where you had your op and clarify things with them. I was given their number and told to call them with any concerns. 

I wish uou you well for a speedy recovery. 

Kind regards Sue

• Posted

Sue I found the shoe by my bed and was told by the nurse it was for me to wear, I did not have to wear it at night, and that it... I was only brought crutches when it was clear I was unable to walk. I am resting up this morning as I sort of fell this morning and felt pain in the tendons on the upper part of my foot... 

Sukibear, what country are you in ? Sounds like very different advice we are given in the UK. 

• Posted

Hi, i'm in the UK. I think from what i have read a lot of consultants have different methods and ideas for recovery.

On the morning of the op i was seen by the consultant as i had some muscular pains in my arms (unrelated) and he wasnt sure whether i should have the proceedure. When i said i'd prefer to go ahead with it as i'm all organised at home and work, and i said i will also be resting for a few weeks, his reply was "you will not! Why do you think i'm giving you a heel walking shoe"

I was amazed as all the way through the pre op appointments the nurses had said about planning in advance etc for shopping, cooking and cleaning. I was so looking forward to my hubby's culinary skills...not!

Nobody could have been more surprised than me when i was told i was walking on Wednesday! I have to say im actually walking quite normally considering the limp i had whilst in the heel shoe. My foot does swell a little by the end of the day, but that is to be expected. I'm in a pair of leather flat clogs at the moment in a size bigger and they are so comfy. I've also invested in a pair of flat suede long boots for work in a size bigger. As im planning on having the other foot done later in the year i will get my moneys worth! I also have to wear a toe spacer for the next 8 weeks.

You must be careful with your foot. As i said before we are all different in our recovery.

I'd make the most of your bed rest and let your foot heal.

Lots of good wishes.

Kind regards Sue

• Posted

I think a lot of the difference is down to the approach your surgeon takes.  When I went back for my cast change the fracture clinic checked who my surgeon was as they all have their special requirements and different recovery instructions.  On my 6 week appointment I was with a lady under a different surgeon who was discharged and told to return to normal where as I was signed off work for two more weeks and told to continue with crutches when out and about. I guess you have to follow the instructions you get but believe I could have been more mobile earlier had I been encouraged to do so.  I am still getting a lot of puffiness and swelling and can't bend the base of my toe to get trainers on..... Hope it gets better soon as it does get me down.
  • Posted

It certainly changes for place to place doesn't it. I have been told to rest it from several sources, however after hearing what you said I am just going to to a mixture of both, mostly resting but pottering around for tiny intervals. I walked outside today, I had to pick something up from my GPs  and to be honest, to say I am a danger to myself and others is a understatement. I think I need to practice a bit more lol 

I too am finding my feet swell up as the day wears on. I will be glad when this really fat bandage comes off and a lighter one is put on. I will at least then be able to ice them.

• Posted

I know what you mean! At three weeks and three days I can cycle indoors OK but am not confident about coping with the hazards of outdoor cycling. I can walk to the shops without crutches but it is very ungainly and slow with the heel boot and, yes, how can you ice your foot through a bandage that can be mistaken for a plaster cast it is so big! Oh well, I suppose I should just be glad I am making good progress. Two weeks and four days until the bandage and boot are gone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.